The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:zeldasf
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)

English (1,248)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,296)
Hazel Grace is a 17 year old with terminal hung cancer. Given a couple of years to live, she feels like a ticking time bomb just waiting to destroy the lives around her. Against her preference, she goes to St. Paul's Episcopal Church and attends the group called "The Circle of Trust", a support group for cancer patients. There she meets Augustus Waters, a fellow teen and a bone cancer survivor. Hazel and Augustus immediately hit it off. Hazel was hesitant because she didn't want to leave him as another broken heart if she were to die, yet she can't stay away from him. For the first time in a long time, she's getting treated as a person instead of a cancer patient. Hazel then finds out shocking news that effects her life forever.
This heart-touching book has the most heart-breaking ending.I have never cried over a book until I read this. In my opinion, this book should be rated a ten out of ten. Hazel and Augustus's relationship was not cliche and cheesy, which made me intrigued. When Augustus died, so did I mentally. I felt so connected to the characters like I was involved in the story too. This is definitely in my top five books, I would recommend it to anyone who likes reading in general. ( )
  MaddisonB.B4 | Jan 16, 2019 |
A strong story seasoned with humor about a complicated and challenging situation. A 16-year-old woman with a terminal illness meets a 17-year-old who also had severe disease and a leg amputation before he recovered. A moving love story that develops into a larger story as the book progresses. A sharp glimpse into the world of patients with terminal illness, their lives, and family life, especially their parents.

It's a fantastic book; the writing is witty and full of humor, John Green tries to get into the mind of a teenager and succeeds. The plot is full of humor, and the characters are well built (it is impossible not to fall in love with them.)

I appreciate John Greene's courage to write a book on such a sensitive subject, looks like he thought of everything to the smallest detail, he won my appreciation because of the original, talent and investment.

mazalbracha | Jan 12, 2019 |
Sigh! I just loved this sweet, little young adult fiction book. The two main characters had the funniest, quirkiest, most witty dialogue and interaction. I can't wait to see how they are portrayed in the movie when it's released. ( )
  loveleelisa | Jan 5, 2019 |
Even though I avoided all spoilers, I think I might have waited too long to read this one for it to have a significant impact on me. Or maybe it wouldn't have hit me even if I'd read it closer to when it came out.

As YA it's quite good. Fairly well-developed characters, interesting story, coming-of-age element. The love story reminds me of Jojo Moyes' Me Before You. Maybe there was something about 2012 that inspired that kind of love-despite-mortality story. I have a tendency to have a meh opinion about stories that are dripping with emotion, but I suspect it's probably because I'm actually drawn to those stories despite my intellectual insistence that it's not cultivated or something.

Confession: I was the one sitting in the aisle seat on the non-stop flight from SLC to Boston last year who was sobbing because I chose to watch Terms of Endearment on the seatback screen.

Confession 2: I keep a DVD of Steel Magnolias for when I need something to watch while I eat chocolate and sob.

I could just turn on a Lifetime movie, but luckily I don't have cable so I don't have that confession to make.

At any rate, I enjoyed this story and it made me cry (in a good way), but it didn't blow me away. It's possible that I like John Green's work on Crash Course History more than I like his fiction. Or maybe I just need to read more of his fiction. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jan 5, 2019 |
I read this book in one day, seriously I stayed up until 4 in the morning on a school night to finish this book. I laughed, I cried, I fell in love with both Hazel and Gus. I loved the writing and the characters of the book were easy to fall in love with and even to relate somewhat to them. At the beginning we find out that Hazel has terminal cancer, in plain terms she will die, the treatments she is undergoing are only postponing the inevitable for only a few more years. Augustus, Gus, is cancer "free" when we meet him. Hazel and Gus fall in love, a beautiful, heartbreaking, and tragic love. While reading this book after a while the reader comes to terms with the fact that Hazel is going to die. Although, there are some heartbreaking scenes during the novel especially when Hazel says to her parents, "I'm a grenade and at some point I'm going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?" I was bawling during that part. And then John Green just has to put a knife through our hearts, Gus's cancer came back and worse. From this point on I was crying throughout the book, with Hazel trying to be there for him to his pre-funeral. While heartbreaking it was also a novel that taught the reader about life and that sometimes what happens isn't our fault in our lives but just plain cruel fate. It teaches that "pain demands to be felt," and "the marks humans leave are too often scars." And the idea that our infinity is as long as we choose.

"There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful."

A great book that I would recommend to anyone. It will make you laugh, cry, and fall in love with life again.

4.5/5 ( )
  winterdragon | Jan 4, 2019 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,699,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible