The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:NBLibGirl
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Brockmann

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (1,107)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (7)  German (5)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,147)
excellent story, sad, but very well human story. Believable characters in a very tough setting. ( )
  deldevries | Sep 27, 2016 |
My Review of “The Fault in Our Stars” By John Green
May 26, 2014

It only took me a few days to read this book. I laughed, cried, and then cried and laughed some more. This book doesn’t sugar coat the effects of cancer and dying from it. I think the story of Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters is more real and tragic than that of “Romeo and Juliet”. It was more real and relevant to the world that I know. I won’t give away any spoilers, but this really was a beautiful story. You feel the love that they had for each other in every page of the book. Even after I finished the book it really took me a few days just to process the events within the pages.
  MzKitty | Sep 18, 2016 |
people raved about this book but I just want to add my 2 cents. I think people who didn't like the book completed missed the point. It wasn't some extraordinary story of heroism. It's basically a story of how a dying teenager who wanted to leave their mark on the world learns that sometimes it's good enough to just leave your mark on the person who will appreciate it the most. ( )
  kayjenx | Sep 14, 2016 |
Very readable - as in, I read it in a day - cancer coming of age story. Gets the issues with a nice degree of humour and doesn't fall too far into the sentimental or the offputting. Recommended to anyone who knows someone with cancer - which is everyone, right? ( )
  AmberMcWilliams | Sep 10, 2016 |
Fault In Our Stars Review By Screenmaster1

The Fault In Our Stars By John Green was a new kind of experience for me as I am typically not one to read books about kids coping with serious diseases, it's just not my style. That being said, for being my first experience with this kind of book, Green hit it out of the park. I was hesitant to start the book for the reasons stated above however the first thing that drew me in was the humor. While also juggling serious topics like cancer and death Green balances it out with a refreshing amount of humor (but you'll probably still cry). This book will leave your emotions bubbling even after you finish it.
The plot consists mainly of two characters, Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters, falling in love but the looming threat of death from their illnesses quickly becomes problematic. As tensions rise the two must find a way to cope with the diseases they've had to struggle with and the consequences of getting to close.

A theme that you will notice many times through out the book is perseverance. Hazel Grace, the main character, has exhibited this theme many times through out her struggles coping with her illness and not just her but many other characters also show their own form of perseverance in coping with similar illnesses. Another character must cope with the fear of losing his eyesight and another with cancer. This book will inspire those who have diseases similar to these to keep fighting even when it gets rough and even to those suffering from problems like stress in school or work. It's a message to everyone not just those who are sick to keep up the fight no matter what.

Another theme important to this book is love. As stated above Hazel and Augustus fall in love but with the constant fear of death from their illnesses looming above their heads their love is challenged and their limits are pushed to a breaking point. Emotions run high (both theirs and yours) and it's love against time until the end.

In conclusion, if you like books that make you think, pull at your heart strings,and make you feel inspired, you'll love this book. Audiences who like reading about coping with illnesses are going to love this little treat and honestly, even audiences who don't (like me), will most likely enjoy it especially if you like good humor. This book has plenty of that to go around just be prepared for a good dose of sadness as well. I hope you will pick up this book that everyone loved and give it a chance yourself because you'll love it too. ( )
  Screenmaster1 | Sep 10, 2016 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Green writes books for young adults, but his voice is so compulsively readable that it defies categorization. He writes for youth, rather than to them, and the difference is palpable. He doesn't dumb anything down. His language is complex, his syntax adult. He freely references Kierkegaard and William Carlos Williams alongside bloody video games and action movies. Add to that a raw and real glimpse at childhood illness, and his latest, The Fault in Our Stars, may be his best book yet.

“The Fault in Our Stars” is all the more heart-rending for its bluntness about the medical realities of cancer. There are harrowing descriptions of pain, shame, anger and bodily fluids of every type. [...] These unpleasant details do nothing to diminish the romance; in Green’s hands, they only make it more moving. He shows us true love — two teenagers helping and accepting each other through the most humiliating physical and emotional ordeals — and it is far more romantic than any sunset on the beach.

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,182,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible