The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:thebooky
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:cancer, fiction, audio, young adult literature

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (1,140)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (7)  German (6)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (1,184)
Looking for Alaska was John Green's most popular book back then. It was so hard for me to get a copy so whenever I see his books, I immediately bought them. Then came The Fault In Our Stars, it boomed big time, so it became easy to get his works. I admittedly hate that this book made John Green mainstream that even people who don't really read, actually reads it and proclaiming it's their favorite. Now, I might be steaming out a hipster-ish rant but my point is that John Green succeeded. It was a plan of his to make the non-readers read, and it worked! Some people may belittle the whole Young Adult genre, but why would people discourage others to read books designed for them?

The plot is simple. Two teenagers met and eventually fell in love. Their only hurdle is a thing called cancer. It might not sound good if I just sized it up like that but this book is really great. John Green captures the essence of life and love in 313 pages. This book makes readers think and feel. I cannot simply put it in words because this is a star I can't fathom into a constellation. *wink wink*

The Fault In Our Stars is inspired of Esther Earl, a nerdfighter (people of vlogbrothers' community). However, Esther and the heroine Hazel are very different characters. John Green said that his anger after her death pushed him to write the book. Also, he said that Esther helped him to imagine teenagers as more empathetic than he’d given them credit for.

“Maybe 'okay' will be our 'always' ”
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
'...I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things." Augustus Waters. ( )
  liv_books | Apr 18, 2017 |
The Fault in Our Stars is the story of love, friendship and cancer. Hazel meets Augustus at a cancer support group and from there their relationship blossoms into one that will surely win you over. It is a story of love and loss. The friendship that develops is one that you will never forget. Characters and story are well developed. Truly a story to be cherished by all. Have your tissues ready!

Recommended for high school. (Young adult) ( )
  SraSpoer | Apr 17, 2017 |
The tale of two cancer ridden love birds is quite lovely. ( )
  kncp | Apr 17, 2017 |
Summary
This book is story about cancer and how it affects the lives of teenage children and their families. The main characters Augustus Waters, Hazel Grace Lancaster fall in love and find a reason to want to live. They go on adventures and try and live a normal life while fighting cancer.

Personal Reaction
This is defiantly a tear jerker. I think this is an important book for teenagers to read because so many of them are affected by cancer. This book can give hope to someone not only fighting cancer but any life threatening diseases.

Extensions Ideas
1. Have the class either write letters or draw pictures for children in a local cancer center.
2. Plan a field trip to a local cancer center or retirement home and spend a few hours letting the children visit with the patients ( )
  April03 | Mar 27, 2017 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

A story that shows a glimpse of the life of Hazel Grace Lancaster as she battles a life-long battle with cancer. As a 16-year-old girl, she is not only striving to live a normal life but carries the worry of her parent's lives after she dies. Hazel goes to a church support group for cancer survivors, where she meets the love of her life Augustus Waters. From the first day, they met the two become practically inseparable. At the beginning of their relationship, Hazel requires Augustus to read her favorite book the Imperial Affliction, in which the main character has a rare blood cancer. Augustus and Hazel bond over their book and have a strong desire to discover what the conclusion of the book is. In pursuit of figuring out the conclusion of the book, they go meet the author Peter Van Houten in Amsterdam, using Augustus wish through the wish foundation. In their travels, they discover the ugly truth of the author, and Augustus shares with Hazel his findings on a recent scan, where the doctors discovered his body full of cancer. Hazel is the one that is doomed to die but finds out that Augustus will be going first. She spends the last months of Augustus’s life caring for him, spending quality time with him and loving him

A beautifully written love story about two teenagers who are fighting for their life. Once you pick up this book it’s impossible to put it down, with various emotions of hopefulness, sadness, and happiness all in one story. This book allows readers to feel the characters, their emotions, and their struggles.

Curriculum Connection: If I had a reader ask me for a good book to read, I would direct them to this one. I have seen various students fall in love with this book, so it would be a good start for those readers needing a push. The characters are so easy to connect with, so young readers would love this novel

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,842,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible