The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:RadiationMan
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)

English (1,222)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,270)
I picked up this book when I saw it at the library, because I had heard all the buzz and seen how highly it was rated here on Goodreads. While I was reading it I did find it very compelling, and finished in 3 days. There were a lot of good ideas, and a couple quips that made me laugh. The joke that actually cut me the most was towards the beginning, when Isaac has just had his surgery and says, "Hi, Support Group Hazel. Come over here so I can examine your face with my hands and see deeper into your soul than a sighted person ever could." (Personal experience with eye problems of a permanent nature, though not quite like that, but it's a possibility.)

The thing is, after I finished, the whole book rang hollow, and I had to read some non-glowing reviews like this masterpiece to figure out why. It reminded me of a short story I wrote when I was 17 years old, which purposely didn't have much plot to speak of and was very much a vehicle for a bunch of philosophical ideas I had (ahem, I was going through my existential phase) that I put forth with a badly-disguised author expy. Which, for a 17-year-old, and for a 3-page story, I think is fine. But in a novel by an adult, it seems like it's trying to be Oh So Very Deep that he forgot to develop his characters. The review I linked said that she couldn't tell the difference between the two main characters, and I absolutely agree. And the romance felt very underdeveloped for me. Maybe I read it too fast, but it seemed like there wasn't much of anything between the two of them congratulating each other for being just so unbelievably awesome and profound after their first meeting, to Augustus declaring that he's in love with Hazel. Oh, right, wry sarcasm and witty quips and deep philosophical musings about oblivion.

On that note, I disagree with some reviewers saying that teenagers don't talk like that. Maybe they wouldn't come up with those speeches all at once, but some of them certainly do do too much navel-gazing and come up with some profound things, and I would totally believe some of those things being written in their journals or love notes to each other. I liked to think I had Deep Thoughts (see aforementioned existential phase) and they were valuable in some ways, and it's kind of sad to think that Augustus and Hazel will never actually have the chance to grow out of that phase. It was lampshaded a bit in the Anne Frank house, actually, as Otto Frank says that Anne's deep thoughts surprised him and maybe parents don't really know their own children. And also by Hazel being tired of the grand calculated gestures and preferring a more innocent Augustus. Something to chew on, I guess.

The rest of my thoughts are kind of disjointed, so I'll do my best. Things I liked were the little details like pointing out things that were Cancer Perks, Augustus avoiding Hazel at the airport (OMG, you mean he's not totally perfect in every way?!), the Facebook wall. I didn't like the utter fixation on metaphors like the unlit cigarettes, Augustus's need to do stupid things even in video games because OMG SO GLORIOUS OMG DYING NOBLY, and Hazel's obsession with what happens to Anna's mom after An Imperial Affliction ends. For someone who knows so much about oblivion and mortality, and who knows so much about literature, it is kind of a weird fixation. (For instance, Hazel has never heard of or read a story like The Lady or the Tiger? I find that part really hard to believe.) Oh, right, METAPHOR for Hazel worrying about her own parents after she dies.

So, three stars for some good nuggets and making me think. Not 5 stars because of the rest. ( )
  jrogoff | Sep 22, 2018 |
Let's see. I wanted to read this book because 1/everybody (almost) talked so well about it and 2/ I enjoyed Looking For Alaska.
It turned out that I couldn't get what the fuzz was about. I didn't like Hazel Grace for a start, so you can imagine.

The two stars go because it had some good jokes and decent scenes. ( )
  iceinmyblues | Sep 16, 2018 |
I bought this book simply due to the high rating on Goodreads, not due to a specific interest in John Green. In fact, I was unaware that The Fault in Our Stars is technically a teen fiction book. I wasn't even interested in teen-specific books when I was a teen. The language in the book is specifically tailored to a younger audience but the themes are understood by readers of all ages. It is an easy read on the physical level and a difficult read on the mental/psychological level.

It is difficult to even imagine teenagers being terminally ill and reading an entire book dealing with it isn't any easier. I can't relate to having cancer but I can relate to Hazel's worldview. Hazel see's 'normal' people as bland and passionless. I have always viewed myself as being in the lucky minority of people who are not 'normal', whatever that is anyway. Hazel cannot relate to her friend Kaitlyn for the same reason I have never been able to relate to people who are obsessed with pop culture, shopping, rap music, etc. I love Hazel and I pictured her as a younger version of Natalie Portman in Garden State.

Throughout the book, I paid special attention to Hazel's parents. Hazel's parents were an actual loving and functional married couple. I think it speaks volumes that I paid extra attention to this fact. My parents were terribly dysfunctional and never seemed to be on the same page. It was nice to see how parents can be so instrumental in a young persons life when they act as a team, supporting one another. Hazel's parents gave her a lot of strength and courage. Divorce is a terrible thing and it's symptoms are most devastating when the going gets tough and kid's need a strong team of parents.

One of the strongest, most true to life metaphors I have ever heard is on pg. 263 of The Fault in Our Stars. Hazel is describing the immense helplessness and pain that can be felt following the death of a loved one. She says, "...slamming me again and again as I lay still and alone in my bed staring at the ceiling, the waves tossing me against the rocks then pulling me back out to sea so they could launch me again into the jagged face of the cliff, leaving me floating faceup on the water, undrowned." I can relate to this feeling personally. The pain of loss comes in waves as it hits you, and while the pain is almost unbearable for a minute or two, it slowly subsides to a lull and is guaranteed to return with a vengeance.

Anyway, I would recommend this book to just about anyone. It is easily read in a day or two and it's guaranteed to strike up some emotions. That is what reading is all about isn't it? ( )
  Scorched_Earth | Sep 11, 2018 |
Dear God I think it broke me.

I cannot say without lying that I will ever fully comprehend, Hazel Graze or Augustus Waters. I cannot understand their pain or their love. But I have felt it. I have read, through eyes reaching into the soul of the universe, and back again. And as much as I want to bust down John Green's door (And scold him because, it didn't hurt enough apparently, so he had to throw in a: "Stay gold" thanks a lot you absolute genius) and shout at him to tell me about what further happened to Hazel, I don't need to know. I am fine with my corner of understanding of this piece of a story, of a life, for it makes tears roll down my cheeks and I can ask for nothing more than that.

The truth is that, this infinity hurts. No matter it's size. ( )
  marie2830 | Sep 2, 2018 |
Two people recommended this book today. Must read it soon! ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,017,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible