The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

12,0711120212 (4.34)615
Member:MaskedMumbler
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Have Read, Your library
Tags:fiction, young adult, death, cancer, romance, read in 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (1,072)  Spanish (17)  Dutch (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,110)
I really enjoyed reading this book. The first reason I liked this book was because of the characters. The two main character, Hazel and Augustus, both are battling cancer. They are both two very strong individuals, and I enjoyed watching them develop as the story went on. Their characters were very believable as well. Another reason I really liked reading this book was because of the plot. The plot had a big twist in it, because Augustus told Hazel he was cancer free, but ended up getting sick again and dying at the end. The book pushes readers to think about people fighting tough battles and broadens reader's perspectives on what it is like to have cancer. The main theme of this book is live life to the fullest because you never know when your last day will be. Even though Augustus and Hazel both were sick, they still went on a trip to Amsterdam because they knew they were sick and didn't have much time left. They saw what they wanted to before they lost their lives. ( )
  oliviaceresi | May 2, 2016 |
If JKR is my queen, then John Green is my king! I don’t even know where to begin with this. In fact how much justice will this review do to a book of such calibre? My answer - none! But I will still try.

One thing, it’s not a cancer book, because cancer books suck!

“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves that we are underlings” [b:Julius Caesar|13006|Julius Caesar|William Shakespeare|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kI32ltEYL._SL75_.jpg|2796883]

This quote is just super perfect! And it pretty much in a way sums up the whole point of the book. We believe that our destiny is written down, that things happen for a reason. That when you are suffering from stage IV terminal cancer like Hazel Grace, it is the end of it. But is it really?

The fault is NOT in our stars, but in us. Because we refuse to make the best of anything. We let destiny control us and shape our life because there is no hope. But Hazel, Agustus and Isaac prove us wrong. They show us that something as huge as cancer or blindness, can’t force you to live in despair for as long as you might live. But rather you take charge and kick this douchebag in the face!

The best thing about this book, even though majority of us are all healthy, can still relate to these characters. They are just dead on real. A book that is humorous, honest, sad, real, romantic and so many more things. A book that in no way can EVER disappoint you! ( )
  hmurya | May 1, 2016 |
Hazel a terminally ill cancer patient doesn't want to get close to anyone until she meets Augustus Waters at the cancer support group her mother insists she attends. She and Augustus bond over a book at first and become friends. Their friendship leads them to meet the author of the book they both like. Augustus and Hazel have a unique relationship, and they realize time is limited between them both. Hazel demonstrates strength that she wasn't even aware that she had. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
This is the new all-time favourite of my 13yo daughter. "Mom, you've just GOT to read this!" Throughout the evening, she kept glancing sideways at me, looking to see if my tears were leaking yet, especially if I got sniffly. She fist pumped in victory when a few got squeezed out at the end.
This is such a great book for her. It captures the innocence of the early-mid teenage years, and how it crashes into cruel reality, and also how youthful innocence and optimism can still rescue the mess.
Green has created likeable smart characters, who are a bit nerdy and preternaturally verbally gifted. I kept thinking of the movie 'Juno'. They are witty, funny, charming and they love books. My daughter squealed with delight when one of the characters quoted the opening lines of T.S. Eliot's The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. She recognised it immediately, because I have quoted them to her since she was a toddler, on many many nights when I was ushering her to bed: "Let us go then, you and I, When the evening is spread out against the sky..."
Of course the book is manipulative and a bit sentimental (in a smart-ass kind of way) -- it's impossible not to be, when the story is of kids and cancer. But at least it doesn't take on the more common syrupy tones of oh-look-how-brave-these-poor-kidswithcancer-are, but instead allows the characters to practice teenagery sarcasm as a best defense.
The pacing of the book is remarkably even throughout. It is going to make a hit movie, I think. Love, threat of death, allure of sex, charming funny characters. What's not to like? ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
So after The Fault in Our Stars sitting on my bookcase for the better part of two years, I finally read it. And I can also say that I understand what all the hype is about. The Fault in Our Stars is such a beautifully poignant story that you can't help but keep reading. Cancer is an extremely heavy subject to read/write about but this was written in such a wonderfully beautiful way which makes it so much easier to read.

The characters are so well-written. The Fault in Our Stars is told from Hazel's point of view and her strength is just beyond belief. I love that her character is honest about her situation. She knows she's going to die, has accepted the fact and at times, when everything gets too much, welcomes it. Her situation is not romanticised at all which makes it all the more perfect. I also love that she has managed to keep hold of her humour, even if it is quite snarky at times. My heart just truly broke for her.

Augustus is just wonderful. Like Hazel, he has been through so much yet still manages to focus on the positive things in life. He is extremely selfless too. You only have to look at how he treats Hazel and Isaac to see it. He wants his friends to be as happy and comfortable as they can be whilst suffering such horrendous illnesses. He also has brilliant banter with them and made me chuckle so much.

However, Isaac is the character I wanted to hug the most. What he goes through is just so incomprehensible. Especially for someone so young. It's no wonder he has so many breakdowns. He must feel so lost all the time. But, I love how he slowly begins to come to terms with his situation and finds ways to deal with it. And, a certain scene with eggs is just brilliant and I'm sure it helped him release so much pent up frustration.

I would say The Fault in Our Stars is pretty predictable. I mean it's a book about terminal cancer, therefore, the chances of it being a happy ending were slim to none. The ending not only rips your heart out but stomps and dances on it too until there's nothing but a shivering mess left. However, although you know you will be a bubbling crying wreck by the end, it's impossible to put down. You just get immersed into it and I zoomed through it in a day.

The Fault in Our Stars is a wonderful, sad realistic story about what it's like to live with cancer. I would definitely recommend it to everyone as everyone has been affected by cancer in one way or another. I can also say I will definitely be reading more by John Green too.

This review and many more can be found at My Expanding Bookshelf. ( )
  MyExpandingBookshelf | Apr 21, 2016 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Green writes books for young adults, but his voice is so compulsively readable that it defies categorization. He writes for youth, rather than to them, and the difference is palpable. He doesn't dumb anything down. His language is complex, his syntax adult. He freely references Kierkegaard and William Carlos Williams alongside bloody video games and action movies. Add to that a raw and real glimpse at childhood illness, and his latest, The Fault in Our Stars, may be his best book yet.

“The Fault in Our Stars” is all the more heart-rending for its bluntness about the medical realities of cancer. There are harrowing descriptions of pain, shame, anger and bodily fluids of every type. [...] These unpleasant details do nothing to diminish the romance; in Green’s hands, they only make it more moving. He shows us true love — two teenagers helping and accepting each other through the most humiliating physical and emotional ordeals — and it is far more romantic than any sunset on the beach.

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible