The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:Elizabeth324
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:YA, cancer, relationships, high school, amsterdam

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (1,074)  Spanish (17)  Dutch (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,112)
Well this too ended like AIA!!!
I was a little doubtful about this book as i hated "Looking for Alaska" by same author. But my doubt was proved wrong to an extent.

A story of cancer patients and lives around them, actually caught attention. Especially when the cancer patients are teenagers. Loved the witty dialogues with a tinge of irony.
Story of Hazel who meets Augustus through a cancer patients meet and the bond goes strong in few months, which in turn will cause them more pain!
But, the only strange point is from where did that writer of AIA book pop up and what was his significance? Was that character really needed?

Well couldn't resist giving 4 stars. ( )
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |
As I am wont to do, I read John Green's The Fault in Our Stars and, concurrently, listened to the spectacular audio version read by Kate Rudd (her performance is beyond amazing!). I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to Jamie Ford, a Facebook friend, a Goodreads author and the brilliant writer who penned (another of my favorite books of all time) Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet for strongly recommending that I drop everything and make reading John Green's *The Fault in Our Stars" a priority. I took Jamie's sage advice and, as a result, find my self sitting in the reflective eye of a maelstrom of emotion . . denial, joy, sorrow, awe, rage, helplessness and hope. I am totally wrung out! Please, if you haven't read it . . I hope you will. ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
I hoped for a lot from this book, but I expected not quite as much. I have a hard time trusting any book that has a remarkable 4.5/5 stars on Goodreads. I mean, that’s basically unheard of. Most of the Harry Potter books don’t even have that, and they’re perfect!

That being said, The Fault In Our Stars is a beautiful book. Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancaster are remarkable teenagers, if unrealistic. They struggle valiantly through their battles with cancer, speaking ironically and sarcastically about their suffering, quoting poetry and waxing poetic on literature and illness. They joke about cancer. (And about other things. They’re actually quite funny.) They scorn typical “cancer kid plots.”

And yet, The Fault is a pretty typical “cancer kid plot.” It is tragic, heartbreaking, and profoundly sad. There are a few unique adventures along the way. Augustus and Hazel do some traveling in search of Hazel’s favorite author. (I thought at first that this part of the book didn’t carry the plot very well, and then later on it was a bit heavy-handed. But I did enjoy their visit to the Anne Frank Haus, because I’ve been there myself and know firsthand how moving it is to stand in those rooms.) In the end, this book isn’t particularly unique; it’s just heartbreaking. In fact, The Fault may be the first book over which I’ve ever truly shed tears. I was glad that I was home alone as I was turning the final pages, because I was really crying. If you judge books based on the amount of emotional response they elicit, then you’ll probably love this one. (By the way, for a unique “cancer kid plot,” I recommend Jodi Picoult’s My Sister’s Keeper.)

Before I say this final bit, I have a disclaimer: I’m fortunate enough to be able to say I’ve never experienced cancer in the way that the families in this book experience cancer. So I in no way presume to know what it’s like; nor can I speak to the realism of Hazel and Augustus’s experiences. That being said, I appreciated that this book didn’t necessarily seek to find any “meaning” in the tragedy of cancer. Because I don’t know that there is any “meaning” in it. It’s just a terrible, unfair thing. But I did love the way the characters find meaning in their relationships, experiences, and love for one another, no matter how short their time together may be. They find meaning in their own lives and in one another’s lives. And I think that is important.

All in all, this is a beautiful, moving book. If you like heartbreaking love stories, then this one is for you. ( )
  blackrabbit89 | May 6, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. The first reason I liked this book was because of the characters. The two main character, Hazel and Augustus, both are battling cancer. They are both two very strong individuals, and I enjoyed watching them develop as the story went on. Their characters were very believable as well. Another reason I really liked reading this book was because of the plot. The plot had a big twist in it, because Augustus told Hazel he was cancer free, but ended up getting sick again and dying at the end. The book pushes readers to think about people fighting tough battles and broadens reader's perspectives on what it is like to have cancer. The main theme of this book is live life to the fullest because you never know when your last day will be. Even though Augustus and Hazel both were sick, they still went on a trip to Amsterdam because they knew they were sick and didn't have much time left. They saw what they wanted to before they lost their lives. ( )
  oliviaceresi | May 2, 2016 |
If JKR is my queen, then John Green is my king! I don’t even know where to begin with this. In fact how much justice will this review do to a book of such calibre? My answer - none! But I will still try.

One thing, it’s not a cancer book, because cancer books suck!

“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves that we are underlings” [b:Julius Caesar|13006|Julius Caesar|William Shakespeare|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51kI32ltEYL._SL75_.jpg|2796883]

This quote is just super perfect! And it pretty much in a way sums up the whole point of the book. We believe that our destiny is written down, that things happen for a reason. That when you are suffering from stage IV terminal cancer like Hazel Grace, it is the end of it. But is it really?

The fault is NOT in our stars, but in us. Because we refuse to make the best of anything. We let destiny control us and shape our life because there is no hope. But Hazel, Agustus and Isaac prove us wrong. They show us that something as huge as cancer or blindness, can’t force you to live in despair for as long as you might live. But rather you take charge and kick this douchebag in the face!

The best thing about this book, even though majority of us are all healthy, can still relate to these characters. They are just dead on real. A book that is humorous, honest, sad, real, romantic and so many more things. A book that in no way can EVER disappoint you! ( )
  hmurya | May 1, 2016 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Green writes books for young adults, but his voice is so compulsively readable that it defies categorization. He writes for youth, rather than to them, and the difference is palpable. He doesn't dumb anything down. His language is complex, his syntax adult. He freely references Kierkegaard and William Carlos Williams alongside bloody video games and action movies. Add to that a raw and real glimpse at childhood illness, and his latest, The Fault in Our Stars, may be his best book yet.

“The Fault in Our Stars” is all the more heart-rending for its bluntness about the medical realities of cancer. There are harrowing descriptions of pain, shame, anger and bodily fluids of every type. [...] These unpleasant details do nothing to diminish the romance; in Green’s hands, they only make it more moving. He shows us true love — two teenagers helping and accepting each other through the most humiliating physical and emotional ordeals — and it is far more romantic than any sunset on the beach.

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,806,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible