The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

13,8931197150 (4.33)635
Member:kasey007
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read in 2012, bookclub, cancer, death, family, friendship, first love, young adult fiction, fiction, dying, grief, relationships, realistic fiction, humor

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)

English (1,150)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (7)  German (7)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (1,195)
I’m honestly terrified to write this review. This book has been so hyped up by self proclaimed diehard fans that I worry someone will egg my door in response to my thought that this novel is mediocre at best. I just don’t understand what the big deal is. Is it the cancer? Do people just enjoy depressing stories about death? Is it the star-crossed lover routine? Do you enjoy reading a story where there is very little hope? I for one don’t really enjoy any of the above and haven’t enjoyed any of the above since A Walk to Remember.

Now don’t get me wrong I enjoyed Jon Green’s writing style. It feels as if someone is actually sitting down and telling you the story. However, the actual substance making up the story itself I found to be dull and predictable. The only unpredictable element was the unnecessary trip to Amsterdam, which honestly I feel was thrown in there to make something happen and provide some sort of conflict.

As for the characters, I wasn’t all that invested. It’s difficult to write from the perspective of the opposite sex for anyone. John Green trying to sound like a teenage girl just sounds like a thirty-something year-old man trying to sound like a teenage girl. I didn’t buy it. It was entertaining at times, yes, but not believable to me.

I don’t hate this book. However, I won’t read this book ever again and I probably won’t think about it past this review. It’s just not my thing. With that said I do want to clarify that I will try out another John Green novel because I did enjoy his voice.
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
After reading a horrible novel, The Fault in Our Stars was a tearful sigh of relief.

It makes you realize how feeble life is and many other things I can't fathom right now at 4 am, with puffy eyes and tears that won't stop. I enjoyed it. Sad, beautiful and heartbreaking as it was. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
This story is beautiful. I don't have enough words in my vocabulary to describe it.

You feel for the characters. I got too attached to them. I don't mind, but it was just incredible how wonder these characters really are. I will forever remember them. Hazel will sit on my shelf alongside Harry Potter and Frodo.

I can't put into words how much I loved this novel, or how much I love all John Green's novels.

If you haven't read this, you have too. Go get it right now. Get off the internet and go!! ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
i love this book so much i cannot put it into words ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
This about a girl that is diagnosed with disease and she faced many obstacle and struggles to get through. I recommend this book for jr. high and higher. It was a great book to read because my aunt went through the same thing and she did not make it through. ( )
  VictoriaVivians | Jun 9, 2017 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,307,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible