The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:kasey007
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read in 2012, bookclub, cancer, death, family, friendship, first love, young adult fiction, fiction, dying, grief, relationships, realistic fiction, humor

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (1,045)  Spanish (16)  Dutch (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,081)
Beautiful. Poignant. Heartbreaking. Tearjerker. All of these words could be used to describe this book. I knew going into reading this book that it would be sad -- and it most definitely was. Life ends with death -- and young death is the most cruel of all.

It really and truly deserves four stars. It is a well-written story, it touched me, and I appreciated it.I appreciated it because, like people say, it's not your typical teenage love story, and it's not your typical cancer love story, either. You know the one. The one where the older, bitter manchild falls for the unfailingly optimistic, charming, and quirky cancer patient. Their love is interrupted by the revelation of her dying days, he makes a grand gesture like marrying her to make a mark on her last few moments in this life, and it is beautiful and poetic.

Aside from that, the teenager aspect. Most teenage love stories only allow for you to grow an emotional attachment to exactly two characters. The lovers. Or, in the case of a triangle story, two of the three people, because you have to pick sides, of course. Still, it's only two people. If that. Sometimes (most times), the characters of interest are so bland, such simple plot devices, that there is no reason to invest.

The Fault in Our Stars, on the other hand, has a full cast of characters. Yes, the focus is on the two who fall in love, but they're not the only people of interest. Hazel's parents, Isaac, Augustus' family, even Kaitlyn or Lidewij, and Van Houten, to some extent at least - he can at least be sympathized with in some way. They're all interesting, they're all there, they're all considered in the formulation of the story.

Quotes I loved:

-"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities."
-"I want to leave a mark. But.. The marks humans leave are too often scars"
-"I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you."
-"The world is not a wish-granting factory."
-"You get all these friends just when you don't need friends anymore."
-"Grief does not change you, Hazel. It reveals you."
-"That's the thing about pain," Augustus said, and then glanced back at me. "It demands to be felt"
-"I’m on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend."
"My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations." ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
Yes, this book really is as good as they say it is. It's true to life, the characters are extremely likeable, and the love story is believable. I loved the scenes with Augustus and Hazel—their conversations were hilarious. John Green doesn't try to glorify the cancer love story trope; instead, he portrays it in a believable light and, somehow, ends the book on hope. I really liked this book. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 8, 2016 |
It's hard to come to this book with an open mind. I'd heard so much about it that it was always going to be difficult for it to live up to expectations. To say I enjoyed it would not be quite correct. I appreciated it, I didn't love it as much as many people seemed to, I cried. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
Beautiful and devastating. A simple read with funny and witty dialogue (though let's be honest, teenagers do not speak like this), the tenderness of first love and the gritty realism of illness and loss. I will definitely be reading more John Green novels. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
This was good. But, it was hard to read, having lost a child. ( )
1 vote lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Green writes books for young adults, but his voice is so compulsively readable that it defies categorization. He writes for youth, rather than to them, and the difference is palpable. He doesn't dumb anything down. His language is complex, his syntax adult. He freely references Kierkegaard and William Carlos Williams alongside bloody video games and action movies. Add to that a raw and real glimpse at childhood illness, and his latest, The Fault in Our Stars, may be his best book yet.

“The Fault in Our Stars” is all the more heart-rending for its bluntness about the medical realities of cancer. There are harrowing descriptions of pain, shame, anger and bodily fluids of every type. [...] These unpleasant details do nothing to diminish the romance; in Green’s hands, they only make it more moving. He shows us true love — two teenagers helping and accepting each other through the most humiliating physical and emotional ordeals — and it is far more romantic than any sunset on the beach.

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

5 2069

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,136,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible