The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:kasey007
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read in 2012, bookclub, cancer, death, family, friendship, first love, young adult fiction, fiction, dying, grief, relationships, realistic fiction, humor

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (InfectiousOptimist)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)

English (753)  Spanish (8)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (779)
A moving and funny story of young doomed lovers - two kids who have cancer and how they deal with it. As an adult outside of the target age range, I enjoyed the book tremendously but wasn't IN LOVE with it like my teenaged daughter. The dialogue is witty, the plot is compelling, and the feelings/story is honest and true. I much preferred John Green's WILL GRAYSON WILL GRAYSON. ( )
  sylliu | Sep 15, 2014 |
The reason John Green's books are so successful is because he writes teens as they would like to be. Not perfect, precocious, thinking about the profound things in life, in love -but not so in love that you're silly-, etc.

I think that's the main thing that I get from this book. I liked it, but there's no way that any teen thinks and talks like Hazel and Gus. These characters are the teens that teenagers would want to be. Someone who "walks lightly" on the earth and tries not to harm anyone. The unsung hero. Someone who wants to be something or do something that can change the world, but is realistic enough to realize it probably won't happen.

It's a good book. Strong voice, strong characters. A touch pretentious, but that's alright.

The best moment was probably the scene in the gas station where Hazel has to just recite poetry like it was a lifeline.

3.5 stars rounded down. It's not amazing, but it is above average. Still, I am just too old for this book. I feel like I am past the emotions this book is trying to elicit. ( )
  NineLarks | Sep 15, 2014 |
This is the first John Green book I've had the pleasure of reading, and if the rest are ever half as good as this one I'm going to be in heaven. About 5 years ago an ex of mine recommended me Looking for Alaska . I never got around to reading it while we were together and when we split I tried to avoid everything that reminded me of them as much as possible. I wish I hadn't. This book has had me laughing, crying and begging to know what happened next. I had it for a few days on my Kindle and when I was looking for something new to read I thought I would give it a shot, well my Kindle hardly left my hand that day haha.

Warning: May contain spoilers

The book is based on real situation, heartbreaking situations but real. And yet John Green still has the power to put humour in there, young love and adventure. Even though Hazel & Augustus are both riddled with cancer some how they never let it beat them. They don't cut themselves of from the world just waiting to die and expecting people to feel sorry for them, they just in a way get on with it.

This book is wonderful. Just wonderful, and as a first John Green book for me I've got to say, I've caught the bug haha. His ability to attach you to his characters is something I haven't seen in a long time. They are intelligent, inspirational and insightful. Not only are the main characters well written and thought out but any of the characters that pop in and out of the book also , along with Hazel & Gus, will pop in and out of your heart.

In all honesty, I'm not sure what to say about this book that hasn't already been said. There isn't much I can say because everyone will feel something different while reading it. So I'll leave you with something Hazel said instead, in hope that it will show you why myself like so many others find it hard to say anything other than "perfection" about this book :).

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books…which you can’t tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.” ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
Hazel Grace is sixteen and she has Cancer. She meets Augustus "Gus" Waters at her cancer support group he also has cancer. Soon they become more than just friends. Through Gus Hazel learns the meaning of life, death, sickness and health. She also finds that everyone is legacy in their own way. A very well written story filled with emotions. I loved Hazel she has a lot of spirit, and her own unique charm. I also liked Gus and his philosophies he is a unique individual. I highly recommend for all ages y/a to adult readers. ( )
  Georgiann | Sep 14, 2014 |
Please note the following review will include my thoughts not only on the movie adaptation but also on the book.
Let me start off by mentioning I am one of the laziest bums in the history of lazy bums, but I feel somewhat obliged to review my experience with The Fault In Our Stars (TFIOS for short) - not only the novel, written by John Green (who happened to also write other works I'm quite a fan of such as Looking for Alaska), but also the movie by Josh Boone, mostly known for Stuck in Love.

My thoughts happen to be quite negative, and let me point from the beggining that by no means is my opinion so in order to contradict the hype TFIOS has gotten over the last couple months. Also, please note I read this book over two years ago now and the only reason I am incluiding it in my review is to compare both the movie and the book to one another.

Let's star off with the plot. Hazel Grace Lancaster suffers from lung cancer and her life has revolved all around it since she was diagnosed. She doesn't go to school, and at home has a lovely mother who'd give up anything for her daughter's well being. On the other hand we have Augustus Waters, who walks around with unlit cigarettes between his teeth which he claims to be ''a metaphor'' - you put the killing thing between your teeth but you don't give it the power to do its killing. Augustus, ''Gus'' for short, is a former basketball star who had to give up his sport because of his bone cancer. Their paths are crossed on the literal heart of Jesus, while attending a support group. Isaac, Gus' best friend is into the support group aswell. He is partily blind and will be completely afterwards.

Not much goes on with Hazel other than The Imperial Affliction and... having cancer. I probably sound very much like a douchebag. Fortunatelly, I haven't ever felt the pain of cancer, neither in me neither on the ones around me. But I believe there's more to life than dwelling on misery. And Hazel realises that too, after meeting Gus. Augustus is much more interesting than Hazel. Because he kept on hatting basketball and kept on watching Natalie Portman's movies and felt Max Mayhem's adventures deeply. On the book, Gus had a previous girlfriend, called Caroline Mathers who died. And he had Isaac. And he hadn't lost hope yet, he wasn't waiting on for the day when the last trip to the hospital would come.

Don't think of me as a weirdo for this one but in my head, Gus would look like Dominik from Suicide Room, which would be impossible since, come on, he's polish. Hazel like the beautiful Thora Bitch in the movie American Beauty and Isaac like that baby (who has now obviously grown up) who was in the Nirvana album Nevermind. The thing about adaptations is that they can't please everyone. However, I do have some issues with the actors chosen. I'm not a Shailene Woodley fan, but her acting was okay, despite some of the flat lines she gave out. Gus on the other hand was fenomenal in comparison. One thing that totally freaked me out was the fact they play brother and sister on the Divergent movie. Ouch.

What put me off the most was the dialogue. THE FREAKING DIALOGUE. I was okay with it on the book, despite it being totally unnatural, I got over it and kept on with my reading. But teenagers don't talk like that. Not even teenagers with cancer. Now when you get this put into film, shit goes down. You have Gus confessing his undying love to Hazel at Orangee in the so beautiful city of Amsterdam, with a straight face saying "I'm in love with you ... and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you.” Jfc that sounds terrible spoken out loud... It is a work of fiction, indeed. But it was put into a cinema screen. The best soundtrack choice made was M83's ''Wait'' playing at some of the most intense moments. The directing was efficient and the editing kept simple.

Let me describe my theather scenario earlier today for you - almost full house; an entire class from 8th grade students who happen to attend the same high school I do; a girl putting on a show leaving at Gus' death because oh-my-god-it-was-so-emotional-i-couldn't-even-handle-the-feels; teenage girls with their mothers; some kids. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a movie targeted mostly for teenage girls. But there's something very wrong with not enjoying a movie because coming of age kiddos are sitting there giggling every time a guy appears on screen. I wanted to stranggle them.

Back when I read this for the first time I remember embracing it with lots of love, but looking back on it, as I've grown up, my insight has changed. I appreciate this as a whole but I can't keep my feelings for when I was younger. It's too dull. The story is very beautiful, indeed, you have a story about life, death, sickness, love. The mythical 21st chapter was painful at that time but not anymore.

It is overall just another tragic story, undoubtedly heart warming, but not enough. The adaptation kept itself very loyal to the book. I respect John Green's writings very much, but I must admit that, personally, TFIOS doesn't deserve half the buzz it got. It's not that it isn't good, only that it's...not that good.
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,769,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible