The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:kasey007
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read in 2012, bookclub, cancer, death, family, friendship, first love, young adult fiction, fiction, dying, grief, relationships, realistic fiction, humor

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (934)  Spanish (11)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (964)
"You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in who hurts you."

It is official this is my favorite book. It is very well written. Achingly beautiful. It's the kind of book that wants you to celebrate life and seize every moment of it while it is there.

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

They met each other in Cancer Support Group and the only silver lining in their situations is falling in love with each other.
Their story isn’t simple, isn’t nice and isn’t all sunshine and flowers, but it’s beautiful. It's one of the most amazing love stories I’ve read. And I’ve read a lot of them.

“I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once”

This story is so ama to read itzing that I feel privileged to have read it. At first I didnt want because I knew by chapter three I was going to be a crying mess but I am glad I finished it because it is a story about love,loss, and healing.

This book stole my heart and captured my mind. It also broke my heart. It is, by far, one of the most phenomenal books I have ever read.

Recommended to Everyone,
Follow my reviews on: www.facebook.com/mj.bookblog
Blog website: mjbookblogg.blogspot.com ( )
  MadihaJ | Jul 27, 2015 |
I read this book about 6 months ago and I really loved it. Such a sad tale but told from the teen aspect so well. I think I've read all of John Green's novels and this is the most touching. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Good but sad book
Hazel is a teenager with cancer who falls in love with Gus they meet at a support group.
All goes well they even go to Amsterdam to meet a famous writer who is very rude to them.
Then when they get back home to America tragedy strikes. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Jul 16, 2015 |
This book was beautiful. Heartbreaking, yes - but absolutely beautiful. This one is being added to my book collection immediately. ( )
  MermaidxLibrarian | Jul 16, 2015 |
How many tears can a person cry in their lifetime?
Some persons says that there is no limit, others says that it depends on how many times a person blinks in a minute.
This book makes you cry, with no blinking.My tears reservoir feels empty.
It feels like, if there is a limit, I may have used all my tears...

This book captured suffering, darkness and love
and at the same time reminded readers that perhaps our heroes are not all we have idealized them to be. ( )
  Haidji | Jul 16, 2015 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

5 1915

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,403,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible