The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:kasey007
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:*****
Tags:read in 2012, bookclub, cancer, death, family, friendship, first love, young adult fiction, fiction, dying, grief, relationships, realistic fiction, humor

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (InfectiousOptimist)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)

English (857)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (881)
Ugh.

I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, but I was terribly, disastrously disappointed. Incredibly, irrevocably disappointed.

I started this book off with the knowledge that I would probably cry. But you know what? I didn't cry.

Not. Once.

Sure, I felt a terrible sadness at the sad points of this book, but I didn't shed a tear. Not like I did when I read [b:Before I Die|1314332|Before I Die|Jenny Downham|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348002855s/1314332.jpg|3128767] and not like I did when I read [b:My Sister's Keeper|10917|My Sister's Keeper|Jodi Picoult|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1369504683s/10917.jpg|1639903]. THOSE are books worth crying about. Books that MAKE you cry and you don't even realise it.

So anyway, I didn't cry at all. All I felt was annoyance, sadness and anger. Annoyance at the fact that Augustus Waters (stupid, stupid name) and Hazel spoke like super sophisticated, drink-tea-in-china-cups-only super old pensioners. Take this quote for example:

" I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasures of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you."

Okay, yeah, it's beautiful. But NO sixteen/seventeen year old speaks like that. NO ONE. Not even the Royal Children speak like that, and they would have an excuse to. So although it's a lovely quote, I just laughed a bit. Because if Augustus had turned around and said, "I've loved you since the first time I laid eyes on you" it would have been a much nice, more believeable way of saying it.

Sadness at the fact that this books is about cancer, because cancer will always be a sad, sad subject. I don't think anyone has accomplished writing a happy book about cancer.

And anger. Anger at the characters that didn't have much depth at all, an adventure that seemed slightly wrought-out and boring and an ending that disappointed greatly.

Hazel, I kind of like. She's more realistic about everything. She doesn't hide the fact that she is going to die and she tries to get people to accept it which, by the way, is fair play to her.

But even she speaks like a sort-of-probable moron. In fact, here's a funny thing:

AUGUSTUS AND HAZEL SOUND EXACTLY THE SAME

In fact, when Augustus got introduced in the novel, my immediate thought was, "Oh, so he's, like, the man version of Hazel? That's not cool." And to be honest, it got very, very tedious.

To be even MORE honest, the only character I actually really, really liked was Van Houten.

And you know why?

He actually seemed real. He acted like a horrid person, who lost his daughter at the age of 8 to leukaemia, and although he spoke even funnier than Augustus and Hazel put together, it actually made sense for him to. It made sense for him to drink himself into oblivion, act like a total arse and generally be a recluse and hate humanity. I get him. I totally do and I love him for it.

And you want another reason why?

Because that's how I imagine John Green is. I imagine he DOES love himself, and the way he writes, and his books, and I 100% believe that he based Van Houten's character on himself.

I'm even willing to go as far as saying that he probably never responds to fan mail, never reads emails that aren't exclusively about work, and I'm even surer that, although he's an okay writer, he probably thinks he's a modernised version of Shakespeare.

So yeah, the book was okay. I'm disappointed. I'll probably end up reading it again and to be honest, I'm slightly disappointed that Augustus died and not Hazel, considering from the outset, Green made it clear she was going to die and honestly, I think he got too attached and decided to kill off Augustus to buy Hazel some time, but only succeeded in making the book more crappy.

Sorry, Green. I might be one of the few people who actually didn't enjoy this book. ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
This was a great book. The story is a simple one of a girl going through cancer and a boy she meets at support group and falls in love with. The things they discuss are thought provoking and touching.

Although I struggle to believe any real life teenagers are *quite* this existentially oriented, speaking with a college level vocabulary, I found the characters to be relatable and likable. The story was well paced, and the emotions John Green evokes through his writing definitely make this worth reading. ( )
  AlbinoRhino | Jan 25, 2015 |
Thoroughly readable and engaging though sappy. Love Story in 2014. ( )
  amaraki | Jan 25, 2015 |
This was one of those books that makes me feel like a bad person for not liking it. I keep seeing all of these five star ratings and I just don't get it. I felt that this book was extremely over-hyped when really, this book was mediocre at best. The only thing I can really say is that I didn't hate it, which is a start, but I was also no were close to loving it. It was merely okay.

The first problem I had was that I didn't buy into the characters. I didn't find them realistic at all. I thought that the relationship between Gus and Hazel was over done. An odd way to describe it but that's the phrasing that comes to mind. I remember rolling my eyes during their dinner in Amsterdam because it was too perfect. That was not the dinner of teenagers but the dinner of a couple on their honeymoon. Even then, I would have rolled my eyes. It was like eating a candy that was too sweet, and despite how much you want to eat it, you just can't make yourself swallow it. That was that scene.

I also thought that their teenage banter sounded more like a desperate attempt for John Green to be witty. Teens don't talk like this. It almost got to the point when I would want to skip long sections of dialogue just because it annoyed me how unrealistic their banter was. I also don't know if John Green knows this or not, but sarcastically talking about your terminal cancer is not something knew in the cancer writing world. Also, he did it too often. Some meaningful thoughts and emotions would have been nice rather than touching on sometime profound and then ending it with a one-liner. This happened all the time.

The "plot twist" really wasn't a twist. Maybe if it weren't written in first person from Hazel's point of view it might have been, but since she was narrating it was pretty obvious what was going to happen. That is my problem with books written in first person. Especially books that have life threatening situations, the narrator obviously lives through it all. It takes out that element of suspense that make books so much fun to read. Of course, there is the possibility that the author didn't actually mean for this to be a plot twist, but I have heard it referred to as such so many times that that is how I think of it. A highly predictable plot twist.

There are more issues that I have with the book, but since I would be risking giving away spoilers I am not going to go further into it. Overall, I was disappointed in this book. I was expecting to laugh and to cry like everyone told me I would, but I did neither. I was left not wanting to read anything written in the last four years since everything I have read so far that is currently popular has been disappointing. (Except for Game of Thrones. That series is freaking awesome.) Maybe The Night Circus will treat me better. I'm trying to go in with an open mind.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. It just wasn't worth the time it took to read it (which wasn't long, granted, but still) and I didn't take anything out of it other than, "Eh, it was alright." If you're just searching for a quick read, this is an option, but I know there are better quick reads out there than this. Don't fall for the hype, because this book falls way short. ( )
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
The Fault in our Stars by John Green definitely caught me way off guard in the way that I did not think I was going to love it as much as I did. This book is an emotional love story that completely captivates the reader into the adorable yet incredibly sad plot. When I read this book, I never wanted to put it down because from the first few minutes when I started it I was hooked. I started and finished this book in just a few days. I have read a few other John Green books such as Looking for Alaska which I also thought was amazing, but I definitely have to say this John Green book was my favorite. Another thing I loved about this book was that it wasn't a typical love story that ended in a happily ever after where the guy gets the girl and they fall in love. This book was more mature and sophisticated because both characters suffer through different types of life threatening illnesses. This book wasn't predictable, and unless one saw the movie or was told prior to reading how the book ends, I doubt that they would have guessed. The Fault in our Stars had that aww factor at moments; For example, when Augustus and Hazel went to Amsterdam together. When Augustus first saw Hazel all dressed up before he took her to dinner, it was really adorable how sweet they were being to each other. But just how fast it got cute; It got very upsetting. Overall, this book was touching and heartbreaking but an amazing read. ( )
  kristinjaspers | Jan 22, 2015 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,165,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible