The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:ReadingWithMartinis
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:**

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (1,090)  Spanish (17)  Dutch (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,128)
OK?
OK... ( )
  RoxyWilde | Jun 27, 2016 |
This hugely popular book was not for me, but then again, I'm not a teenage girl. The voices are good, and it's an eye-opener to be in the world of someone struggling with cancer, but as far as literature goes, maudlin and predictable. ( )
  AnnAnderson | Jun 25, 2016 |
I did not mean to read this all in one sitting, but I could not put it down. Now my day is gone and my heart, shattered.

This book broke my heart. I knew it was going to, but I didn't expect it to be quite so deep a heartbreak.

It was a beautiful book. It made me laugh and sigh and hope and cry. And it is not easy for me to cry. But I bawled like I had lost just someone dear to me. I feel like I did lose someone close to my heart.

I wanted to read this book for two reasons. One, I heard wonderful things about it and it seemed like something I would enjoy reading. And two, because I try to make it a point to read a book before seeing the film adaptation, because inevitably, if I did it the other way around I would never read the book.

I don't think I'll ever watch the movie now. I don't think I could handle seeing Hazel and Augustus in brilliant Technicolor, laughing and falling in love. That first new, young love. The kind that hits you like a sledgehammer and runs deep and burns bright and fast. I can't watch the heartbreak in real-time.

I don't think I'll ever read this book again, which is sad because it was such a beautiful book. It should be read many times by many people.

This review is probably one of my worst, but it's how this book made me feel.

PriPri77 | Jun 23, 2016 |
I loved this story, though it's not very realistic for realistic fiction. What 16 or 17-year old would use "metaphorical resonances" in a normal conversation? But I laughed; I cried; I laughed while I cried. I fell in love a little bit with Augustus Waters. How could I not? "It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you." Sigh . . . ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
2015 Rating System: 5
  ZetherBooks | Jun 15, 2016 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Green writes books for young adults, but his voice is so compulsively readable that it defies categorization. He writes for youth, rather than to them, and the difference is palpable. He doesn't dumb anything down. His language is complex, his syntax adult. He freely references Kierkegaard and William Carlos Williams alongside bloody video games and action movies. Add to that a raw and real glimpse at childhood illness, and his latest, The Fault in Our Stars, may be his best book yet.

“The Fault in Our Stars” is all the more heart-rending for its bluntness about the medical realities of cancer. There are harrowing descriptions of pain, shame, anger and bodily fluids of every type. [...] These unpleasant details do nothing to diminish the romance; in Green’s hands, they only make it more moving. He shows us true love — two teenagers helping and accepting each other through the most humiliating physical and emotional ordeals — and it is far more romantic than any sunset on the beach.

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,815,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible