The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

10,205928281 (4.37)591
Member:regularguy5mb
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (899)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (5)  German (5)  French (4)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (924)
I thought John Green's "The Fault In Our Stars" was okay. It's a pretty light, readable book (despite the heavy topic matter) with a decent emotional core.

The story follows Hazel, who is diagnosed with cancer. She falls for a member of her support group much to her reluctance.

I had two issues with the book-- I've gotten kind of tired of teen books where the kids don't talk like kids. (I get maybe having one talk in the way these characters do.... but not all of them.) I also had a really difficult time with Hazel's voice... the character felt male to me... I didn't think Green did a great job reflecting the inner voice of a teen girl. I really would have liked the book more if the narrator was male instead. ( )
  amerynth | Apr 23, 2015 |
3.5/5 Stars

A lovely story about two sick people who are in love with each other. I'm not ashamed to admit that when I first read this I cried. It's simple and snarky and makes you want to re-evaluate your own life and appreciate the little things.

On the downside, I feel like Augustus and Hazel are the same person. They talk and think in the same way and if you took away their names, I wouldn't be able to tell who is who.

Full review: http://brittanysbookrambles.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-fault-in-our-stars-by-john-... ( )
  bpress | Apr 20, 2015 |
Somehow I was of an opinion that this book will make me bawl my eyes out. NOT. THE. CASE. This is not a sad book, not by a long shot. It is full of harsh realities, black humour remarks, irony and sarcasm that might have been anger at some earlier point, becoming acceptance now. Hazel and Gus are well-read, intelligent and strong. What they are NOT is broken. And their star-crossed love story is inspiring. It is a pleasure to have known them. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
Wonderful sad story of teens dying from cancer that are still trying to live like teens.
curricular connection; empathy, social skills, health ( )
  jolenaryan | Apr 17, 2015 |
I really liked this book and did not want it to end. As I was reading I knew what was going to happen, but I still kept hoping for a miracle. I liked how Hazel and Augustus were wise beyond their years. How they had so much in common, yet they were so different. The reader can easily visualize when Hazel justifies her decision to keep Augustus from getting closer because she is like a grenade and wants to minimize the casualties of her death. Although this book might be controversial, if used in class, this book can be used in the secondary levels to discuss life lessons because they will be facing their own life changing decisions of graduation, leaving home, and creating their own path. There could also be discussions that include critical thinking and philosophy.
  MSara | Apr 16, 2015 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,715,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible