The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:regularguy5mb
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

2012 (120) 2013 (89) Amsterdam (145) cancer (528) contemporary (58) death (236) dying (64) family (50) favorites (51) fiction (434) friendship (91) grief (80) humor (58) illness (66) John Green (46) Kindle (46) love (184) novel (46) read (56) read in 2012 (70) read in 2013 (58) realistic fiction (92) relationships (60) romance (223) signed (81) teen (122) to-read (216) YA (341) young adult (401) young adult fiction (72)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (InfectiousOptimist)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)

English (608)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (622)
This is a book that friends kept recommending and one I have seen in the best-selling lists many times.

This is a beautiful book on so many levels. You don’t need another review from me to add to the tens of thousands, needless-to-say, if you haven’t read it, what the hell are you waiting for.

The Writing IMP ( )
  IanMPindar. | Apr 22, 2014 |
I read this recently because of the movie coming out in June and I am so glad I did. The Fault in Out Stars is about a 16 year old girl who is living with cancer. She meets Gus, who is in recovery, at a support group. Its a cute love story and I definitely shed some tears! I would recommend this to anyone who likes a good emotional book! I would recommend it to grades 9-12, since it does have some bad language and adult situations. ( )
  aloupe | Apr 21, 2014 |
This is an absolutely stunning work of fiction.

I found my opinion surprising considering I do not generally like love stories or sad stories and while this book incorporated both of these elements, it also did so much more.

Green's characters do not have a silly Romeo-and-Juliet-like love that is so common in teenage romances. The two act more like best friends who happen to be physically attracted to one another. Their love was actually quite a pleasure to read.

I also really enjoyed the perspective that Green chose to write from. By writing as Hazel, he was able to demonstrate the isolating Otherness and ableism that people in similar situations experience. Hazel even calls out the martyrdom and heroism that cancer patients are treated with when all they are really trying to do is be human beings and live their lives. I love how popular this book is because I feel that this message is crucially important.

Beautifully written. Simplistically philosophical. This book was perfect.

Also, Kate Rudd's narration makes the story even better. She is an amazingly gifted narrator. It is a true feat to be able to switch voices between a teenage boy and a teenage girl in a second without making it sound ridiculous. Rudd does just that. The emotion she puts behind the words adds another level to the beauty of the novel. Her talent is truly awe-inspiring. ( )
  CareBear36 | Apr 20, 2014 |
I 100% LOVED THIS BOOK!!! I got more excited by every new chapter I read!! Usually when I would read a book that I started to grow out of, I would get bored when I would get to the next chapter. But with this book, I never grew tired of it.... I just love this book too much... My number one book so far!!!!! Also, this is the first book that made me bawl and roll into tears!!

Summary: There has been a lot of romantic books before, where the main characters are 100% healthy and perfect.. But those books don't tell romance in a real life perspective.. Hazel Grace Lancaster is a 16 year old girl that is diagnosed with Staged 4 Thyroid Cancer with Metastasis in her lungs. Who then goes to a Support Group full of Cancer Kids where they talk about them selves and the Support Group is held by a man named Patrick that has Cancer in his.... *cough* Testicles and always tells his story.. She went there and met a guy named Augustus Waters that has Osteosarcoma in his right leg which is now Prosthetic. And I basically want to leave it at that for they go on adventures in feelings and flight trips but the ending shall not be spoiled for you NEED TO READ THIS BOOK!!!!! ( )
  DevonS.B3 | Apr 20, 2014 |
I confess I cried a lot, because of the money I spent to buy this book.

This is a book for kids, about kids with cancer. What the hell was I thinking?? I read it only because of the massive hype, and I heartily regret every second of it.

First, I didn't know I was picking up a Young Adult book. I despise anything that falls under this category, that only in this millennium has started to amaze legions of supposed "adults" as well. I genuinely believe that anybody older than 20, if not seriously dislexic, can write a "YA" book. It takes only determination, like climbing a mountain. It doesn't take any wordsmanship, imagination, or experience.

In my opinion, this book's main flaw is its unbearable flatness and lack of any hint of originality. "The fault in our stars" shines for being mediocre under every aspect. Its mediocrity doesn't come across immediately, it hides behind the "cancer" theme like a kid who hides behind a plant while you can see him perfectly well.

As a positive note, the author certainly did an excellent job at capturing the voice of the two teenagers - but then, where on earth is that a difficult task?

Reviewers who said "nobody talks like that!", meaning the 2 main charachters, are wrong. The author has a pitch perfect ear, and there are many teenagers who talk just like that. They are called "intellectuals" in Europe, and "nerds" in America, and they talk exactly like that, with a desperate need to distinguish themselves by using an unnecessarily articulate vocabulary.

So, in conclusion, I would say: go ahead and read "The fault in our stars" if you want to spend some time in the company of two teenagers who will shower you with fake cynicism, abundant self-hate, dull awkwardness, and unfunny irony. ( )
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,566,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible