The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (edition 2012)

by John Green

6,853None528 (4.45)460
Member:regularguy5mb
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

2012 (120) 2013 (89) Amsterdam (145) cancer (528) contemporary (58) death (236) dying (64) family (50) favorites (51) fiction (434) friendship (91) grief (80) humor (58) illness (66) John Green (46) Kindle (46) love (184) novel (46) read (56) read in 2012 (70) read in 2013 (58) realistic fiction (92) relationships (60) romance (223) signed (81) teen (122) to-read (216) YA (341) young adult (401) young adult fiction (72)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (InfectiousOptimist)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)

English (600)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (614)
read in 2014, ( )
  kape747 | Apr 15, 2014 |
I loved this book. It may be YA, but it has so many elements that appeal to all audiences. First, it may be about cancer, but it isn't sappy (no Nicholas Sparks here!), it feels very real. The author does a very good job of creating characters with cancer, with real emotions; anger, fear, diminishing hope. Secondly, a short review would state that this book is a page turner and a tear jerker, but it is so much more than that. An insight into human nature, with characters you can't help but adore with empathy. It is hard to put down. Lastly, it gives so much perspective. I can imagine many readers, such as myself, walk away from the book a little more grateful for the beauty of life. Highly recommended for anyone! ( )
  Alie | Apr 14, 2014 |
Last night, I crawled into bed at midnight. I'd received notice that a library book I hadn't yet started was due the next day. Since I wasn't quite ready to sleep, I thought I'd read the first chapter and see if it was worth paying a fine in order to finish it. I opened The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

It's told in first person, from the point of view of a sixteen-year-old girl named Hazel who has terminal cancer. I didn't want to read something depressing nor did I want something falsely sweet. Hazel quickly wiggled into my heart, pulling me along with her brilliant humour, insightfulness, honesty, and truth. I was soon holding my duvet over my mouth to muffle my laughter and not wake my husband. I finally forced myself to shut the book at 2:00 AM.

I looked forward to finishing it all morning, hoping it would not become overly sentimental or callous or religious. It did not disappoint. The characters are beautiful and flawed. They surprise, amuse, and inspire. There are no pat answers to the tragedy of young death, just possibilities and simple, but powerful, realities.

By far, the best book, young adult or not, that I have read in a long time. I so wish I could give it six out of five stars. I am immediately getting John Green's other book. ( )
  Bonnie_Ferrante | Apr 14, 2014 |
Oh my goodness, I have never cried so much in years! Can't even imagine going to a theatre to watch this movie.
  readingtext999 | Apr 14, 2014 |
Overall, THE best book I've read this entire challenge. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 11, 2014 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible