The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Tags:John Green, Hazel, Augustus, perfect!

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (980)  Spanish (16)  Dutch (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,016)
Funny, sad, poignant, hilarious, profound, and tragic. I wish I could write like that. ( )
  andieaaase | Nov 30, 2015 |
  andieaaase | Nov 30, 2015 |
I have an extraordinarily difficult time giving John Green five stars because even though I find his books to be sheer brilliance, I also could not sit down and read them over and over again. They are, ultimately, depressing. As strange as it sounds, they are depressing in a good way, because they make you think about things that you don't want to think about. In this case, I find themes to be the cruelty of fate, living life to the fullest, courage, and knowing oneself.

There are a million things that one can take out of a John Green book. To a point, I am not certain John Green intends for a lesson to be learned in his novels - the way he reads to me, he writes about topics that infuriates him, and he wants to make the world aware of these things. To describe John Green in a word, judging by any and all of his books, I would call him "passionate". It seems that the world agrees with the genius behind his latest book, judging by a recent article in Time Magazine. To put it plainly - I may be saying I think that John Green is a genius... but obviously this isn't something that you (the reader) and the rest of the world don't already know.

It is important to remember, when reading a John Green novel, that although it was likely discovered on a YA bookshelf, it is still very applicable to adults. In fact, the YA only means that the protagonist is between the ages of twelve and eighteen. His books are very accessible for adults, while remaining interesting to young adults. In fact, I daresay as an adult I get more out of the books than some of my students may, being unable to fully grasp some of the greater challenges of life when still tucked into a nest egg and not having responsibilities greater than a curfew. It is difficult to talk about this book without giving away spoilers. You cannot love any of the characters - they are far too flawed, even if you can pity them. But they are the perfect representations of reality - John Green does not sugarcoat his characters. Not this time.

To any fan of John Green's - The Fault in Our Stars will blow you away. And if you aren't a fan... this book may be a good place to start. If you are a weepy person, make sure to have some tissues nearby. ( )
1 vote Morteana | Nov 30, 2015 |
I am by no means outraged or surprised at the hype surrounding this book, now that I've finally read it. I did enjoy it, but I don't think it impacted me quite as much as it has others.

Let me start off by saying that I am aware that contemporary is not quite my genre--because I think this is about as good as contemporary gets, and I admire how well Green pulled it off. I personally didn't enjoy the usage of "like" and occasional capital letters, but I didn't find it overdone. Green has an amazing sense for capturing the teenage voice: amplifying its beauty, but leaving intact its flaws.

I loved the characterization and the romance for the most part. I found the philosophizing occasionally pretentious, but--let's be real, I enjoyed it, though I disagreed with much of it. It reminded me of the way that many of my NESCAC peers talk. Also, whereas normally I'm somewhat wary of cancer being treated in books--sometimes it comes out of left field and seems like a great tool of emotional manipulation--Green treats the subject well, I thought. Even though the twist still surprised me, and I generally shy away from tragedy, Green's humorous, honest tone made the story not only palatable, but genuinely enjoyable and sweet. I'm personally not as big a fan of the irreverent tone, though.

Some of the writing was just gorgeous. The line that I'd heard about even before I picked up the book, but which I loved reading all over again, was: "As he read, I fell in the love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."

Overall, I liked it, and I'm glad I read it. ( )
1 vote elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
Simply Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once in a while you find a book which fulfills all the promises it made on its back cover. This is that kind of a book.

It promises to make you laugh, to make you cry, to make you feel raw and touched. And it lives up to that promise. It has been correctly identified as Insightful, Bold, Irreverent and Raw.

Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters live in your memory long after you have finished the book.You want to cry for Augustus and Hazel.You wonder what happened to Hazel Grace after the book ends. It antagonizes you whenever you look at the book lying on your shelf. You hope that a cure has been found for her. You hope they have invented robot eyes for Issac. And more than that it diminishes your own problems to such a tiny level that you feel ashamed that you have been crying over these problems.

1 vote meetpraj | Nov 25, 2015 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)
Green writes books for young adults, but his voice is so compulsively readable that it defies categorization. He writes for youth, rather than to them, and the difference is palpable. He doesn't dumb anything down. His language is complex, his syntax adult. He freely references Kierkegaard and William Carlos Williams alongside bloody video games and action movies. Add to that a raw and real glimpse at childhood illness, and his latest, The Fault in Our Stars, may be his best book yet.
“The Fault in Our Stars” is all the more heart-rending for its bluntness about the medical realities of cancer. There are harrowing descriptions of pain, shame, anger and bodily fluids of every type. [...] These unpleasant details do nothing to diminish the romance; in Green’s hands, they only make it more moving. He shows us true love — two teenagers helping and accepting each other through the most humiliating physical and emotional ordeals — and it is far more romantic than any sunset on the beach.
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

5 1978

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,955,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible