The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:academic-coffee182
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:John Green, Hazel, Augustus, perfect!

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Recently added bydraculasnemesis, mgy3, autusa, Sofa99, o.orange.o, katikat, AbiT, private library, Steph_Wisker
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (InfectiousOptimist)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)

English (803)  Spanish (8)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (829)
The fictional book The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, displays a love story between characters Hazel and Augustus. Hazel has cancer and a Gustus is a cancer survivor. Having cancer makes Hazel and Augustus’ relationship hard. In the book, 16 year old Hazel did not want to go to the support group. But she soon realises that it was a good idea. Hazel meets a young boy named Augustus Waters. He is charming and witty. Augustus had osteosarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer, but has recently had the all clear. In the book, Hazel and Augustus travel to Amsterdam in search of Peter Van Houten the author of their favorite book. While on their trip Augustus breaks some heartbreaking news to Hazel and both of their worlds fall apart around them.If you enjoy young adult books, full of witty humour and heartbreaking events, this book is perfect for you. It was well written by the author, John Green. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  KaSl14 | Oct 23, 2014 |
This book is about a 15-year old girl named Rachel Grace. She is suffering of Lung cancer and has depressions, ( )
  FelicityT.B4 | Oct 23, 2014 |
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green was about teenage romance, and how love can happen at any age and at any given time no matter the circumstance. Hazel Grace Lancaster was a 16 year old miracle cancer patient. When she was 13 she was expected to die from lung cancer. She kept on fighting and they placed her on Plaxifom which helps her lungs be lungs. She has been on the miracle drug for 3 years, when the story takes place. Her mother thought she needed to go to a support group. Her and another young boy named Isaac met thy had a few conversations trough looks. Isaac was in the support group because he had a cancer in his eyes that caused him to loose both of them. One day in support group Isaac invited one of his close friends named Augustus Waters. Augustus is 17. Hazel and Augustus immediately had a connection. They hung out a couple times and fell in love. Isaac went through a hilarious break up with his girlfriend, and destroyed many of Augustus basketball trophies, that Augustus won when he had both of his legs. August had cancer in his leg forcing the doctors to amputate his leg, now he had a prosthetic leg. Isaac with the cancer in his eye had also a prosthetic/glass eye. He later then found out he would have to have both removed an became completely blind. Augustus and Hazel were obsessed with this book called An Imperial Afflictions. They bonded over it, they had wrote an email to the authors assistant and they, Peter Van Houten and his assistant, said that if they were to every find themselves in Amsterdam to feel free and stop by. They had made plans to go until Hazel woke up and could not breathe and she was in the ER for a few days because they needed to drain her lungs of the fluid that was restricting her from breathing. After that it took a lot of convincing and planning to get Hazel Grace's parents to agree to let the trip to Amsterdam happen. After they got the confirmation that they were going to Amsterdam the informed Peter Van Houten and his assistant. Augustus, Hazel, and Hazel's mom went on the trip. When they go to Amsterdam they were of course jet leg so the first 1 or 2 days they stayed very close to the hotel. After, they went to go meet Peter. They got to his house and he was flat out drunk and so rude. He turned out to be a complete jerk and Hazel decided just to leave. Peter's assistant also could not stand Peter and basically quit and chased after them. They ended up going to the Anne Frank house, which consisted of lots of stairs. Which was a problem for Hazel, but she fought and made it to the top despite that her lungs sucked at being lungs. They rested the next day and walked around, this s when Augustus gave Hazel some bad news. Augustus's cancer had came back, except this time it was everywhere. When Hazel was in the ER he had felt pain and decided to get it checked out. "It light up like a christmas tree" Augustus said trying to be sort of funny. Hazel was crushed and cried, who wouldn't if that was really happening. They had gone back to the states and Augustus got worse and worse and soon was trapped in a wheel chair. Before Augustus died he had a pre- funeral, where he had Hazel and Isaac read there speeches for the actual funeral. Also they all gathered at Isaacs ex-girlfriends house and threw eggs at the car, before the 'pre-funeral'. Augustus had died a few days later, in the ICU. An the funeral happened, however Isaac could not make it through his speech with out crying, which is understandable. After Augustus died Hazel and Isaac became ever closer as friends.

I thought The Fault In Stars was a 5 star rating novel. It had the right amount of comedy, romance, and friendship. I loved the quotes the book contained about life. Like "Im on a roller coaster that only goes up my friend." It talked about how all the side affects of cancer were just side affects of dying, which I believe to be true. Cancer is a side affect of dying and they were not denying it. They were also young and had so much to live for but their cancer was holding them back. Hazel had thyroid cancer, that spread to her lungs. Which causes her to have trouble breathing and its sad for a girl her age. Overall there was just a lot of tragedy in this book. However I do not think this novel was something to cry about. It was sad and devastating but it was fiction the characters are fiction, but this does happen. It is life cancer is just another side affect of dying. An I do not mean to sound insensitive. ( )
  BriannaM.B1 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Hazel Lancaster and Augustus Waters first meet at a cancer support group. Augustus is a cancer survivor and Hazel is living with thyroid cancer that has spread to her lungs. Even though Augustus, or “Gus” as Hazel calls him, survived cancer, his leg was amputated to control the cancer.From the moment Gus and Hazel’s eyes meet he falls for her. On same day they meet, Hazel goes to Gus’s house and watches a movie. Gus gets in touch with the author of one of his and Hazel’s favorite author. To get to Amsterdam, Gus uses his wish from the Make A Wish foundation. When they meet the author of An Imperial Affliction, they find out to their surprise, he is a delusional drunk. After they share a romantic evening, Gus tells Hazel his PET scan results showed that cancer was found all over his body.. Before Gus has his two guest pre-funeral, he asks Hazel to prepare a eulogy for him. Soon after his death, Hazel finds that Gus started writing a story for her just as he had promised.
I thought this book was outstanding because all the happiness, sadness, and the rest of the emotions in the book were felt. John Green wrote with so much detail I saw a movie in my head. The book had an impact on my life and the way I look at the world. He showed what really happens when you fall for someone. I think he did an extraordinary job with this book. I thought it had all the right elements. I loved the way I thought the book was going to end,but it kept on going. I would give this book 5 stars. ( )
  kateh.g1 | Oct 22, 2014 |
Hazel Grace Lancaster was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer at the age of thirteen and that spread to her lungs a couple years later. She has managed to get by with an experimental drug called Phalanxifor( which does not exist outside the book). Augustus had osteosarcoma or a rare bone cancer, but he has had the all clear. Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace meet in a support group for cancer patients. After they meet in support group, Gus invites Hazel into his house to watch a movie. Augustus or “Gus” which Hazel calls him decided to read each others favorite book. Gus gives Hazel his favorite book “ The King Of Dawn” a video game book, and Hazel gives Gus her favorite book “ An Imperial Affliction”. When Gus gets to the end of the book he is surprised that the book ends in mid-sentence. When Hazel Grace and Gus talk on the phone, okay will be their always, instead of Isaac and Monica who always say always to each other. He messages the author “Peter Van Houten” of the book and asks if he can meet him in Amsterdam to discuss if something else was going to happen and if there was going to be another book. Peter jokingly says “Come see me if you are ever in Amsterdam”. Gus shares his wish with Hazel Grace to go see the author of An Imperial Affliction. When they get to Amsterdam, Gus and Hazel Grace go to dinner. The next day they went to go see the Peter in his house and talk about the book. Peter was extremely rude and was also a drunk atic. They had realized that Peter had mistakenly invited them into his home. As they were walking back to their hotel Lidewij Vliegenthart who lives with Peter and takes care of all of the emails asks if they want to go to the Anne Frank house. They say yes. Hazel had a rough time getting up the stairs with her oxygen tank but had soon made it. The next day before they go back, Gus shares some heartbreaking news about his PET lit up like a christmas tree with cancer when Hazel Grace was in the ICU and was unconscious. After they get back Gus asks Hazel Grace and his friend Isaac(who became blind because of his type of cancer)to read their speeches before he Gus dies. A few days later at Augustus’s funeral Peter Van Houten shows up to his funeral and hands Hazel Grace an email that Gus had wrote to Peter about the book. Hazel did not open it until she got home and Isaac had told her that Gus had wrote it. Two things she read or Gus wrote was “The real heroes are not the people doing things; the real heroes are the people NOTICING things, or paying attention”, also “You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man(Peter), but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices. I hope Hazel likes hers”. Once she was done reading the entire thing she said to herself “I do, Augustus. I do”.
I thought John Green did a wonderful job writing this novel. He wrote this book with so much emotion. He made it come alive in some ways that you would never believe, and also made it feel engaging. There were some very humorous parts that made me laugh and feel happy. But when Gus dies it made me sad and want to cry. Overall I think The Fault In Our Stars is a wonderful and award winning book to read and also watch. This is the BEST most fantastic book that I have ever read before. ( )
  AbigailR.B1 | Oct 22, 2014 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,409,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible