The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:academic-coffee182
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:John Green, Hazel, Augustus, perfect!

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (880)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (5)  German (5)  French (4)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (906)
RGG: The voices of the two main characters are mesmerizing, so while the premise and plot may seem a bit thin, the novel is intensely engaging and the messages ring true. A few sexual scenes. Reading Level: YA+.
  rgruberhighschool | Mar 28, 2015 |
I had no intention of staying up all night reading The Fault in Our Stars when I borrowed it up from my library’s digital book collection last Saturday, but somehow I did. I also had no intention of speed-reading through it, sobbing my eyes out and emptying a whole box of tissues in doing so, but I found myself staring at a pile of soggy tissues and wondering WTF I was thinking picking up such as sad book. (THIS IS WHY I HATE READING SAD BOOKS) Regardless of my hatred of a sad ending, I still found it in my heart to fall in love with The Fault in Our Stars.

Maybe it’s because one of the biggest themes of the story (not letting chronic illness rule our lives) hit home on my own chronic illness journey. This book was so relate-able in a way that anybody affected by chronic illness could draw comparisons to in their own lives. I respond well to characters I can relate to and I know that other people do as well. The Fault in Our Stars is one of the rare books where I didn’t hate any of the characters. It was fascinating how Green depicted these characters, it was really interesting to see how John imagined people would respond to facing their own mortality.

Hazel has spent her terminal diagnosis worried about how her death will affect her surviving family. She rarely cries or complains (unless someone says something stupid in trying to show sympathy – this happens to me often as well, so I mostly applauded her), only worries about her mom and dad putting their lives on hold to watch their only child die. Even though Hazel hates to admit it, I found her to be an incredibly inspiring and selfless main character. She is definitely one of the best young adult fictional role models out there, in my humble opinion. Reading about her struggle has taught me I need to stop and think who is listening before I complain about my aches and pains. The only problem I had with hazel is that she hated V for Vendetta!! How is that even possible??

Augustus was no slouch in terms of main characters, either. He feels a lot of loyalty and love for his friends – even when others may consider said friends to be bigger pains in the butt than they are worth. Gus is also pretty swell at reading people, and it was fun to watch him maneuver Hazel into finally living.

To sum up, Hazel and Gus were stellar main characters. They found a way to live life to the fullest for as long as they were given in a way that healthy people might never understand, but I do. People who scoff at learning life lessons in fiction, should read The Fault in Our Stars. Hell, everybody should read this book – even if you are like me and hate shedding tears or sad endings. Hazel and Gus are so worth the price of swollen eyes and a runny nose. You’ll need an inconvenient amount of tissues, but you’ll come out of the love story of Gus and Hazel glad you finally read it. I sure was! ( )
  One_Curvy_Blogger | Mar 28, 2015 |
I wish I could give this book 100 stars. ( )
  katiejo2324 | Mar 28, 2015 |
I wish I could give this book 100 stars. ( )
  katiejo2324 | Mar 28, 2015 |
The book is a well written story. The author's work was amazing at discovering the funny, tragic, emotional trials of terminal illness and of being young and in love. The book kept my interest and was gut-wrenching to read, especially with the turns in the story. The story was very realistic and believable in nature. This book is definitely for older middle readers with a heavy topic of terminal cancer.
  stacey.abrahamson | Mar 26, 2015 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,293,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible