The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2013)

by John Green

10,941980258 (4.36)606
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Penguin (2013), Paperback, 336 pages

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (946)  Spanish (13)  Dutch (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (978)
At the beginning Hazel goes into a cancer support group at the church. At the same session she then meets Augustus. Hazel is diangiosed with stage four of caner because her lungs aren't very good at their job. Augustus only has one leg and his other is fake. Hazel has read An Imperial Affliction by Peter Van Houten tons of times. They both then become together with the book that they are both obsessed with. Later they reach out to Peter Van Houten the author, which ended the book in the middle of a sentence and gets to fly to Amsterdam. When they meet Peter Van Houten who is always drunk and rude. Hazel and Augustus fall in love with each other. Isacc Augustus's friend is entirely blind and his girlfrind broke up wit him; which thenall three of them throw eggs on her car. At the end Augustus dies and Hazel is okay.

I enjoyed this book very much at every moment. John Green never misses any detail or words when writing. This book is touching and emotional. I gave The Fault in our stars a 5 star because it shows you what people with their conditions can go through and the person's parents. I thought it was amazing that even though Augustus died Hazel had gone through the process perfectly. I could not stop put this book down when reading John Greens writing. I highly recommend this book to anyone. ( )
1 vote madisonb.b4 | Sep 26, 2015 |
I know it says it is a young readers book and it is about kids with cancer which does not appeal, but loved the book. So sweet and funny and sad and complicated. The main voice of a young girl rang true to me and her parents were presented really sympathetically ( )
1 vote lindaspangler | Sep 24, 2015 |
Every time I read a novel by John Green, I think, ""this is my favorite."" It's always true until the next one comes out. 'The Fault In Our Stars' is my absolute favorite. I love the story. I love the characters. I can't put this eloquently; it's just really good. ( )
1 vote rawrrbot | Sep 15, 2015 |

The strings were showing.
1 vote StigE | Sep 15, 2015 |
wow. ( )
1 vote smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

5 1950

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,754,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible