The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (edition 2013)

by John Green

6,870None526 (4.45)463
Member:NorahBarnacle
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Penguin (2013), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

2012 (120) 2013 (89) Amsterdam (145) cancer (528) contemporary (58) death (236) dying (64) family (50) favorites (51) fiction (434) friendship (91) grief (80) humor (58) illness (66) John Green (46) Kindle (46) love (184) novel (46) read (56) read in 2012 (70) read in 2013 (58) realistic fiction (92) relationships (60) romance (223) signed (81) teen (122) to-read (216) YA (341) young adult (401) young adult fiction (72)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (InfectiousOptimist)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)

English (604)  German (4)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (618)
I confess I cried a lot, because of the money I spent to buy this book.

This is a book for kids, about kids with cancer. What the hell was I thinking?? I read it only because of the massive hype, and I heartily regret every second of it.

First, I didn't know I was picking up a Young Adult book. I despise anything that falls under this category, that only in this millennium has started to amaze legions of supposed "adults" as well. I genuinely believe that anybody older than 20, if not seriously dislexic, can write a "YA" book. It takes only determination, like climbing a mountain. It doesn't take any wordsmanship, imagination, or experience.

In my opinion, this book's main flaw is its unbearable flatness and lack of any hint of originality. "The fault in our stars" shines for being mediocre under every aspect. Its mediocrity doesn't come across immediately, it hides behind the "cancer" theme like a kid who hides behind a plant while you can see him perfectly well.

As a positive note, the author certainly did an excellent job at capturing the voice of the two teenagers - but then, where on earth is that a difficult task?

Reviewers who said "nobody talks like that!", meaning the 2 main charachters, are wrong. The author has a pitch perfect ear, and there are many teenagers who talk just like that. They are called "intellectuals" in Europe, and "nerds" in America, and they talk exactly like that, with a desperate need to distinguish themselves by using an unnecessarily articulate vocabulary.

So, in conclusion, I would say: go ahead and read "The fault in our stars" if you want to spend some time in the company of two teenagers who will shower you with fake cynicism, abundant self-hate, dull awkwardness, and unfunny irony. ( )
  tabascofromgudreads | Apr 19, 2014 |
Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a realistic portrayal of dying, living, and love.

I know that EVERYONE has already read this novel, and I have put it off. Although I love John Green's writing style and philosophical and literary musings, I just couldn't bring myself to read a novel about two teenagers dying of cancer. As always, Green writes beautifully. The novel isn't sad; in fact, it has a great deal of humor. The performer on the audio read with such emotion and humor that I'm so glad I listened instead of read the novel because I like her characterization of Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace. Augustus and Hazel both have cancer and have accepted it. They realize that cancer is a civil war against one's body because cancer just wants to live and it's part of one's body. In this living with cancer, they find love with each other. They are unusual in that they are so clever and witty. Few people are so smart, so it's no wonder they fall in love.

When Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters meet, they each ask the other to read a book. Hazel Grace has written the author of her favorite book many times and has never received an answer. Augustus (Gus) is able to reach the author's assistant. They ask what happens to the characters. Hazel cares because she worries about the mom after her daughter dies in the book; obviously, she wants to know the mom is okay because Hazel wants to know her own mother will be okay when she (Hazel) dies. Subsequently, much of the novel deals with getting a wish to visit the author in Europe, but doctors have to okay the trip.

Do I recommend reading this novel? It's a resounding yes. I like the philosophical discussions and comments. I also like Hazel Grace's parents; they know their daughter will die, yet they choose to live and love. Hazel's mom celebrates everything to point out the joys of life; these make up life and allow Hazel to live a meaningful life in her own and her parents' eyes. What do we each want out of life? Is it meaning? Immortality? Remembrance? It's a question Augustus Waters struggles, but Hazel inherently knows. As with all of Green's novels, you leave content with the ending and full of one's own philosophical ponderings about life. ( )
  acargile | Apr 19, 2014 |
I do love this book, but I'm really not looking forward to the movie. Do I think it will be beautiful and amazing? Yes. Is it also going to make us confront what a pretentious asshat August would sound like when his lines are spoken aloud? Also yes.

The book is beautiful, there is absolutely no doubt of that, and there's something really interesting about telling a story where the end of the journey can only be painful. It's a nice twist to have Hazel deal with someone else's death instead of spending the entire novel navel gazing about her own death. There are a lot of things that John Green addressed well, and overall I was really captured by this book. It's very compelling, and a nice break from his male protagonists whom I don't really care for.
My favorite part is that the book just feels organic and genuinely sad instead of emotionally manipulative and sappy (I'm looking at you Jodi Picoult). I loved Hazel, wish that a boy like August could exist in reality without gaining also being suffiatingly pretentious (try telling someone a cigarette is a metaphor in real life and see how you sound) , and her parents were a treat. Sure there were some problems with the book, but overall I give it a rare 5. ( )
  smg023 | Apr 18, 2014 |
What was all the fuss about? This book did nothing for me. These 3 stars are only for those rare words of wisdom which appeared, in an otherwise average read.

"The dead are visible only in the terrible lidless eye of memory. The living , thank heaven, retain the ability to surprise and to disappoint"

"You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world,but you do have some say in who hurts you" ( )
  smitha_1988 | Apr 17, 2014 |
read in 2014, ( )
  kape747 | Apr 15, 2014 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,505,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible