The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2013)

by John Green

Member:NorahBarnacle
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Penguin (2013), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (InfectiousOptimist)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)

English (713)  Spanish (7)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (736)
It was a pretty good book.
I like the potential, and I definitely loved loved loved the actual plot and story.
However, it wasn't an incredible book.
My first issue with it was that the teenagers in the book would talk all philosophical & Shakespearean, but then go back to saying "shitty" and "it sucks." I thought that was a bit unrealistic.
My second issue with it was that the characters were underdeveloped. Although we knew somethings, for example,about August and his personality, I would learn more about him through the speeches of Hazels or Isaac at the end. However, it shouldn't be like that. We should know the characters much better earlier on. ( )
  misslovly97 | Jul 30, 2014 |
I'm probably one of the last people on the planet to read The Fault in Our Stars. It feels like that anyway.
This book is fantastic. Author John Green has a way of making these characters seem like real people and he infuses quirkiness and humor while he tells this story.

Hazel Lancaster is sixteen and has had terminal cancer for years. Augustus Waters is seventeen years old and is in remission. The two meet at a cancer support group. Also in the storyline are the teens family and friends.

When reading Young Adult, I have often found the teenage characters to be annoying and/or whiny, but that was not the case here. Hazel and Augustus are more mature than the usual YA characters, it has to do with their sickness and all that they have to go through. They view life differently than others. I really liked both of these characters.

The romance is sweet and just enough, without being too much. Green writes two people and makes them belong together. I also enjoyed that Hazel and Gus are readers, I like books that have books in them. One main aspect of the story is Hazel's trying to meet her favorite author.

This is a story about teenagers with cancer, but it is also a story about love, hope, courage and family.
I do recommend it. I found The Fault in Our Stars to be a highly readable and moving story. Very emotional, yet somehow almost light at times. The film stays true to the book and this is one of those rare cases where I enjoyed both film and novel versions pretty much equally.

"I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you."
p. 153, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

disclaimer:
This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any type of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishers and authors, I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I purchased my copy of The Fault in Our Stars.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-fault-in-our-stars-by-john-green.h... ( )
  bookworm_naida | Jul 25, 2014 |
I read Fault in Our Stars for the same reason that every other English teacher picks up a book during the school year, it is part of my students' lit circles.

And I didn't put it down until 4 hours later. Well, that's not true. I put it down so that I could teach and then again so I could drive home. I started reading it while my students were silent reading at the start of class and I was hooked.

The characters drew me in. Of course, I knew that in a few weeks my students would be reading this, so I was looking for literary devices and other elements that I could use for discussion topics.

Pretty early on I knew exactly how the book would end, but instead of being a disaster, I kept reading. I was invested with the characters. I wanted to know what happened to them. There were moments that I didn't expect and no, I won't spoil them for you.

I told my students that I definitely cried. I cried with the characters. I cried because of the characters. I just cried. The book brought out such an emotional response. Many of my students read it as their lit circle book or read it just because. They would ask me questions, we would have discussions about it.

That is the power of reading - Read book, connect to it, then connect with others about it, connect to the greater world. ( )
  tiomela | Jul 25, 2014 |
Summary: Hazel is a girl who is dying of cancer. Her mother believes she should attend support groups in order to help her feel better. In the support group, she meets a new boy named Augustus. Augustus has been cancer free, but it seems to come back when he uses his one wish to take Hazel Grace to meet Peter Vanhoughten (hazel's favorite author). The author ends up being a jerk and they leave. He informs Hazel on the last day of their trip that he is deathly ill and cancer is back. When they return, he is hospitalized after he tries to go to the store late at night and call Hazel because he is sick and his bag fell out. He ends up not surviving and at the funeral Peter shows up. Come to find out, the book he wrote was about his daughter who was just like Hazel and had cancer and passed away.
Personal experience: I loved this book. I managed to finish it in one week. It was touching to me because of how cancer has been in my family and how I was able to see there is still hope even in times like this. They still managed to live their dreams and have fun while they could.
Classroom Extensions: A vocabulary list would be great for this book. We could elaborate on the book and reflect onto what words we are unaware of and discuss the definitions and have a test over them at the end of the week.
  atinney16 | Jul 24, 2014 |
NFFTW. DFTBA. This is a journey that make you cry. So, don't read it in public if you don't want other people seeing you tearing up while turning pages.This confirmed John Green as a good storyteller. He didn't get adult on you. He could really write story from the perspective of young persons, who haven't learned to lie and say bullshit, as if that is the way to talk or to think about dying.Dying. Is something we all do. But then to try to leave a mark is in most of the persons I met.When I think of dying, I think of what is my impact. I once was young and I thought of minimizing the damage I have done to this world.Universe doesn't pay any attention to us, as individual. We are the observers of an wonderful yet uncaring universe.Go read it. Spend a few hours reading this in one setting. It is hard not to like this book. I'm glad they are making this into a movie.

Nerdfighters are the truth tellers. And John has this in mind and not telling bullshit. The honesty about dying and true love is so heart felt that you believe, even for a moment, that the characters are real, and you felt for them.That's the mark of a good book. ( )
  XOX | Jul 24, 2014 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,699,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible