The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:BebeDee
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (InfectiousOptimist)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)

English (729)  Spanish (8)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (754)
Amazed at how much humor there was in a book about kids with cancer. Very well done. My only complaint was that these high school age students had better vocabularies than any high school, and most adults that I know. I get that they have had a lot of "down time" which has led them to do a lot of reading which I'm sure has helped but seemed out of place. ( )
  she_climber | Aug 19, 2014 |
This is not a book I would ever have chosen to read had it not been a book group choice. I approached it knowing very little about the story and liked it more than I thought I would. The story of Hazel and Augustus, teenagers living with cancer or the spectre of cancer hanging over them, they become close and share some of their precious time with each other.

It didn't make me cry, probably because it's all told in a very matter of fact sort of way by Hazel, but I did the story sad and parts of it made me think about life and how short it all is. A nice, easy to read story, with quirky and (what seemed to me) over-intelligent main characters. ( )
  nicx27 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Although this is not the kind of novel that I would usually choose to read for pleasure, I was very pleasantly surprised by it. The story with eloquent, intelligent and managed to be funny and sad in equal measure. It tackled the difficult topic of terminally ill teenagers honestly and without sugar coating, using it as a way to explore some interesting philosophical debates such as the meaning of our existence and existence of an afterlife.

Although I found the characters to be likable, my one gripe was that I never felt as though they were teenagers. Both Hazel and Augustus talk like forty year old scholars, quoting Samuel Beckett and Emily Dickinson more than they do modern pop culture. Although I still found the story to be sad, the strange intellectual way that the characters spoke distanced myself from them somewhat as it felt like it formed a barrier between me and them.

However, this gripe aside, I still very much enjoyed the story and would recommend it. I'm looking forward to reading more by this author in the future. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Aug 17, 2014 |
What an amazing book! I laughed, I cried and I wanted to read more! The premise was about a young girl diagnosed with terminal cancer and just lived everyday to live. On one exceptional day during her support group meeting, she meets Augustus who was in remission and what happens then makes her wake up and live.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/76775.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Aug 16, 2014 |
Posted first to Blog Critics as Book Review:'The Fault in our Stars' by John Green.

Cancer is such a dreadful disease, indiscriminate in its choice of victim, choosing with aplomb regardless of age, gender or status. There are a myriad of stories behind the tragedy and many of them remain untold.

In The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, he builds a story out of darkness and despair. He takes the tragedy of cancer and immerses us in the lives of characters that could very well be real. Many know of the heartaches in dealing with those who fight the fight, and many of those scars last a lifetime. He brings his story in the form of a teen girl, Hazel Lancaster. Stricken with cancer from a young age, she believes she has come to terms with what her life has become. Then she meets a young man, Augustus Waters, a survivor of cancer. He is drawn to her in a way that is initially uncomfortable, and as she tries to push him away in her sarcastic vein, he finds her to be exactly the type of girl he has been looking for. Throughout the story there is a beauty and humor, a ‘candle in the wind’ for each of those whose lives have been touched by such an uncaring disease. For cancer touches not just the victim but all those who love and are in anyway touched by them.

Be prepared for a story of romance and anger, excitement and humor, and friendship and bravery for that is the direction we are led as Green develops the personality of a group of teens that have the courage to bring both laughter and tears. The story’s that encircle each individual gives you a glimpse of the character and daring as well as the abiding hope. Hidden within that strength they also hide the depression and hopelessness as they try hard to protect their family and friends by showing only the smiles and strength whenever possible.

Written so beautifully your heart and emotions melt, you come to be a part of this group as well as their families, their triumphs and their losses. The friendships as well as the depths the families go through preparing for the worst while holding out hope is like a beacon of light.

The courage and humor, the energy and despair all keep you on a roller coaster of emotion. Green takes you on a journey both terrible and beautiful.

While a difficult book to categorize I found it to be one of the most important finds of the last few years. Green shines a light on cancer in a way that sends a tremor of intent awareness, an incandescent monument to those that have both won and lost the fight, as well as the damage done to those closest. The story blasts away the veil of secrecy and hooks you from the very beginning. ( )
  wrighton-time | Aug 11, 2014 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,102,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible