The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

13,7371194152 (4.33)635
Member:BebeDee
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)

English (1,143)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (7)  German (7)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (1)  All (1,188)
Terminal illness in YA fiction? I wasn't sure what to expect of this, but I read one to many rave reviews. I had to read it for myself.

I was afraid that this would be overly cheesy and melodramatic. Something Nicholas-Sparks-esque, a la A Walk to Remember: a book I never read, a film I have thankful to not-quite-remember. Green's book is different. His characters live with the reality of lost limbs, blindness and the reality of death lurking.

Hazel Grace, Green's protagonist meets Augustus Waters at a support group in the literal heart of Jesus. Their mutual disregard for support group, coupled with Hazel's uncanny likeness to Augustus dead girlfriend provides the ground of friendship. When Hazel tells Augustus about her favorite book, he reads it and begins a correspondence with the author. He even uses his 'wish' to take a trip with Hazel (and her mom) to Holland to hear what happens to the book's characters after the book's ending.

Peter Van Houten, the author of An Imperial Affliction, is not the man that Hazel and Gus expect to meet in Amsterdam. Yet their trip wasn't a total waste. They have a nice dinner, kiss at Anne Frank's house (and other stuff too). The reality of cancer and death trespasses on their happy ending. There is weeping and anger, and raw grief.

Green has a gift for writing sympathetic characters. I finished this novel loving every character and pieces of dialogue. But I am not rushing to watch the movie. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
This book was good but just over hyped. The romance was just okay (and so predictable) and the plot and story was mostly easy to follow with little twists. I managed to finish it just because it came highly recommended and was hoping it would reach it's preached about standards but sadly it did not.
Had it not been recommended to me I probably would have thought it was okay but I left the reading session a little disappointed as it did not live up to it's hype.
The writing style and the word choice was really great in this book though. ( )
  Alana_Platt | May 21, 2017 |
I had to subdue my heart while reading this book at work. I willed away the tears and stifled the sobs that were threatening to break and then came home and cried; I cried for the characters and for the honesty of the book (as it felt to me). But I also smiled and laughed (a lot and out loud!) while reading this book. So, I want to celebrate it for making me laugh despite the heaviness of the subject.

It is simply one of the BEST books that I've read this year. EASILY!!!

P.S. I REALLY want to read An Imperial Affliction by Peter Van Houten and am disappointed that it's not a real book. Also, apparently I'm not the only one who would like to read the book because when I tried "Googling" it, the Google Suggestion quickly identified it. Okay! ( )
  jthao_02 | May 18, 2017 |
পৃথিবীতে প্রেমের গল্পের চাহিদা অন্য আর সব ঘরানার গল্পের চেয়ে অনেক অনেক বেশী, সেটা কাগজের বইয়ের রূপে হোক আর চলচ্চিত্রের পর্দায়ই হোক। গল্পে প্রেম রাখা মানেই ‘হিট’ হবার পথে অর্ধেক রাস্তা এগিয়ে থাকা। প্রেমের গল্পের লেখককে তাই অন্ন জোটাবার চিন্তা বোধহয় অন্যদের চেয়ে কমই করতে হয়! মানুষের উপন্যাস লেখার ইতিহাস মেরে কেটে হাজার খানিক বছরের, আর ছবি বানাবার ইতিহাস দেড়শ বছরের। সেই শুরুর সময় থেকেই গল্প-উপন্যাস কিংবা চলচ্চিত্রের সাথে প্রেম বিষয়টি অঙ্গাঙ্গি ভাবে জড়িত হয়ে আছে। একটা দীর্ঘসময় পর্যন্ত প্রেমের গল্পগুলো শেষ হয়েছে “অতএব তাহারা সুখে শান্তিতে বসবাস করিতে থাকিলো” দিয়ে। প্রেমের সুখী পরিণামের গল্প এখন আর মানুষ শুনতে চায়না। কারণ পেছন ফিরে তাকালে এক হাজার বছরের একই কিসিমের ক্লান্তিকর গল্পের দেখা পাওয়া যায়। এখন দুঃখবিলাস এর যুগ। মানুষ এখন কাঁদতে চায়। প্রেমিক-প্রেমিকার করুণ পরিণতি দেখতে চায়। ‘রোমিও অ্যান্ড জুলিয়েট’ দিয়ে দুঃখময় প্রেমের গল্পের আধুনিক যুগের সূচনা। এরপর ‘থ্রী কমরেডস’, ‘আ ফেয়ারওয়েল টু আর্মস’, ‘ফর হুম দ্যা বেল টোলস’, ‘লাভ স্টোরী’ ইত্যাদি ধ্রুপদী উপন্যাসে কিংবা হালের ‘টাইটানিক’, ‘কেয়ামত সে কেয়ামত তাক’, ‘তেরে নাম’, ‘কোল্ড মাউন্টেন’ ইত্যাদি ছবিতে সেই দুঃখময় প্রেমই উপজীব্য হয়ে এসেছে, যেখানে প্রেমিক-প্রেমিকার মিলন ঘটেনা। বেশীর ভাগ সময়ই নায়ক বা নায়িকা, কোন একটি চরিত্রের প্রাণহানি ঘটে যা গল্পের মূল আকর্ষণ হয়ে দাঁড়ায়। এসব ক্ষেত্রে পাঠক-দর্শকের বিসর্জিত অশ্রু অর্থাকারে লেখক-পরিচালকের ট্যাঁকে গিয়ে জমা হয়। অর্থাৎ, বিসর্জিত অশ্রু উসুলকৃত অর্থের সমানুপাতিক। জনপ্রিয় হবার অব্যর্থ এই ছাঁচে ফেলেই জন গ্রীন তাঁর টিন-এইজ প্রেমের গল্প ‘দ্যা ফল্ট ইন আওয়ার স্টারস’ লিখেছেন, তবে পূর্বসুরীদের মত শিল্পিত উপায়ে নয়, খাঁটি বাণিজ্যিক উপায়ে।

টিন-এইজ প্রেম বেশীর ভাগ ক্ষেত্রেই খুব সুখকর কিছু নয় মোটেই! এ বয়েসের ছেলেরা প্রেমে পড়বার জন্য উন্মুখ হয়ে থাকে, আর মেয়েরা কোন ছেলেকে ভালো লেগে গেলে ভাবে এর জন্যই বোধহয় তার জন্ম! এ সময়ের প্রেম আকাশ কুসুম কল্পনার ভুলে ভরা। এ সময়ের প্রেম মানে নিজে নিজে ঠিক করে নেয়া হাস্যকর সব ‘প্রেমের পরীক্ষা’য় নামা। আমার টিন-এইজ কালে প্রেমের পরীক্ষার অন্যতম নির্ধারক ছিলো ব্লেড দিয়ে কব্জির আশে পাশে ফালি ফালি করে কাটা। অতি উৎসাহী কেউ কেউ রক্ত বার করে চিঠিও লিখত। বন্ধুদের কারো হাতে ব্লেডের কাটার পরিচিত এই দাগ দেখলে বুঝতাম বন্ধু এখন প্রেমের পরীক্ষার মনোযোগী পরীক্ষার্থী, হয়ত সকলের দোয়াও প্রার্থী। জীবন চলার পথে এমন কারো কারো সাথেও দেখা হয়ে গেছে যাঁরা টিন-এইজ বয়েসের প্রেমের কালে দু হাতেরই কবজি থেকে বাহুমূল পর্যন্ত ব্লেড দিয়ে ক্ষতচিহ্ন এঁকে গেছেন, এক ন্যানোমিটার জায়গাও আর বাদ নেই সেখানে। এ ক্ষতচিহ্ন গুলো শুধু একজনের জন্যই উৎসর্গীকৃত নয়, বহুজনের জন্য। পৃথিবীতে ভালোবাসার মানুষ এত, কিন্তু হায়! হাত মাত্র দুটোই। ‘দ্যা ফল্ট ইন আওয়ার স্টারস’ এ অবশ্য এমন রক্তপাত সংক্রান্ত ব্যাপার নেই, তবে প্রেমের পরীক্ষা আছে! গল্পের নায়ক ১৭ বছর বয়েসী অগাস্টাস ওয়াটার্স, আর নায়িকা ১৬ বছর বয়েসী হেইজেল গ্রেইস। দু'জনই ক্যান্সার আক্রান্ত। অগাস্টাস এর আগে রোগে এক পা হারিয়েছে, প্রস্থেটিক্স লাগিয়ে হাঁটতে হয় তাকে। হেইজেল গ্রেইসের ক্যান্সার ফুসফুসে। ন্যাসাল ক্যানুলা ছাড়া সে শ্বাস গ্রহণ করতে পারেনা। পাঠকের মনের সহানুভূতিশীল অংশটিতে খোঁচা দেয়া শুরু হয়ে গেছে ইতোমধ্যে! অগাস্টাস ও হেইজেল এর প্রথম দেখাতেই প্রেম (বিচিত্র কি?), এরপরের পাতা গুলো দুই কিশোর কিশোরীর কোন একজনের মৃত্যুর (কার মৃত্যু সেটি বলে দেয়াটা কোন মতেই সমীচীন হবে না নিশ্চয়ই?) আগ পর্যন্ত তাদের অমর প্রেমের আখ্যান। গল্পটি আমার ভালো লাগেনি। চিরাচরিত ছকে বাঁধা পুতুপুতু প্রেমের উপন্যাস। সবচেয়ে বড় কথা,অগাস্টাস ও হেইজেল, চরিত্র দুটিকে আমার ইংরেজীতে যাকে বলে স্পয়েল্ড ব্র্যাট (Spoiled brat), তা-ই মনে হয়েছে। প্রান্তিক রোগের সুযোগ খোঁজে তারা। “ক’দিন পরেই তো মরে যাবো, ইচ্ছেমতো মঊজ-মাস্তি করে নেই”-চরিত্রগুলোর এ প্রবণতা পছন্দ হয়নি। উপন্যাসটি বড় একটি জনগোষ্ঠী কে কাঁদিয়েছে (বিশেষত নারীমহলকে!) যা আমাকে কিছুটা ভাবিয়েছে। কাল্পনিক চরিত্রের মৃত্যুতে কত অল্পেই মানুষ সহানুভূতিশীল হয়ে পড়ে, বাস্তব জীবনের সত্যিকার চরিত্রগুলোর প্রতি এই সহানুভূতি থাকলে হয়তো পৃথিবীটা অন্যরকমই হয়ে যেতো। মানুষ বোধহয় এক ফ্যান্টাসির জগতেই অপরের জন্য কষ্ট পেতে ভালোবাসে, আসল জগতে নয়। কে জানে?

উপন্যাসের কিছু অংশ আমার কাছে আরোপিত মনে হয়েছে। মূল চরিত্রগুলোর ওপর এক ধরনের নায়কোচিত আচরণ বসিয়ে দেয়া হয়েছে। আমার দুটি অপ্রিয় অংশ উল্লেখ করছিঃ
(ক) অগাস্টাস ওয়াটার্স এর ঠোঁটে প্রায়ই সিগারেট ঝোলে, তবে সে সিগারেট খায় না। সিগারেট মুখে রেখেও সিগারেটকে সে তার ক্যান্সার বাড়াবার সুযোগ দেয় না।
(খ) হেইজেল গ্রেইস নিরামিষাশী, কারণ সে চায় না খুব বেশী সংখ্যক প্রাণীর মৃত্যুর জন্য সে দায়ী থাকুক।

প্রান্তিক রোগ (Terminal disease) হয়ত সত্যিই যে কোন মানুষকে অনেক পরিণত করে তোলে। যে কোন মুহূর্তই শেষ মুহুর্ত হতে পারে এমন ভয় চলে এলে মন হয়ত সত্যিই অনেক উন্নত চিন্তা করতে থাকে, তবে ১৬-১৭ বছরের ছেলে মেয়ের মুখে এসব পাকা কথা আমার একেবারেই ভালো লাগেনি।

ক্যান্সার আক্রান্ত কিশোর-কিশোরী নিয়ে বই জেনে যে আশাবাদ ছিলো, তা পূরণ হয়নি। দিনশেষে এটা স্রেফ একটা প্রেমেরই উপন্যাস। প্রযুক্তির কল্যাণে বর্তমান সমাজে কোন কিছু বিখ্যাত হয়ে গেলেই তা ভাইরাল হয়ে যায়। তার অনুকরণে অগুনতি আরো অসংখ্য কাজ বেরোয়। প্রান্তিক রোগে আক্রান্ত টিন-এইজারদের প্রেম নিয়ে আরো বই-সিনেমার ঢল নামে কিনা তা দেখার অপেক্ষায় আছি আপাতত! ( )
  Shaker07 | May 18, 2017 |
When I first read this book, before all the hype that followed the movie, I thought it was heartfelt and touching. The idea that two people doomed to die young were able to live life to the fullest together was wonderful to witness. However, as the years go by, and I continue to think back to the book, I seem to dislike it more and more. My advice: if you've decided to jump on the bandwagon and read this book (I don't blame you: I've read many a good book on bandwagons), make sure you read before you watch. The movie is good, but it partially ruined the book for me. Just trust me. And also, get some tissues. The waterworks are going to be running full blast. ( )
  mlmarks98 | May 13, 2017 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,411,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible