The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:BebeDee
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (908)  Spanish (10)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (937)
Fault in our Stars book review

By: Emily Pratt

Hazel Grace Lancaster is a 16 year old cancer patient who is doing everything in her power to be like a normal teenager. Her mom convinces her to go to a cancer support group so she can get out more and make new friends. In the support group, she meets and falls in love with Augustus Waters (aka gus). Hazel gets Gus hooked on this book An Imperial Affliction By: Peter Van Houten. Gus uses his free wish from make a wish foundation to take Hazel to Europe to meet Peter Van Houten and things go bad. While they are in Europe, Gus tells Hazel some tragic news that will bring them closer together but yet change their lives forever.

John Michael Green is an American author of young adult fiction, YouTube video blogger, historian and creator of online educational videos. John Green wrote best sellers Fault in Our Stars, Paper Town, Looking for Alaska, an Abundance of Katherines, and Will Grayson,Will Grayson.

There's a lot of things that I like and dislike about this book. What I like is all the emotions, The suspense and the irony in the book. For example, when Hazel and Gus go to meet Peter Van Houten and he is totally rude to them and all the mixed emotions they have when all the chaos is going on.

Another thing what I like about the book is Hazel and Gus’s relationship. They are so in love and they care about each other so much it’s breath taking. Hazel and Gus are so cute that I honestly wish I had a relationship like they have with somebody else.

Even though this book is so good, there are also some things that I dislike that the author added to the book. What I disliked about this book was how fast the the climax raised. I feel like the author could have slowed it down and added more personal hang outs between Gus and Hazel. Another thing I disliked was how they had to remove their friend Isaac's eyes. I feel like that went really off topic.

Fault in our stars was a really good book. I honestly wish their was a sequel to the book so I could see what happened to the characters after the traumatic ending.
  emilypratt1235 | May 23, 2015 |
Very realistic story of two young cancer patients, Hazel and Agustus who meet in a support/therapy group and fall in love. They travel to Amsterdam to meet one of their most admired book writers, Peter Van Houton, who turns out to be a drunken disapointment to them. The characters and plot are well developed and the story takes surprising turns and twists alsong the way. I loved it, and fell in love with the characters and grieved at their losses ( )
  berthacummins | May 17, 2015 |
Would have given it 4 but van houten sucked. Especially the van houten Indy bull. Definitely made me think of love story and walk to remember. Probably going to reread love story immediately and cry like a baby. This didn't make me cry; but I had spoilers. Better than I was expecting and yes folks, apparently I have a heart. ( )
  katherineemilysmith | May 4, 2015 |
RGG: The voices of the two main characters are mesmerizing, so while the premise and plot may seem a bit thin, the novel is intensely engaging and the messages ring true. A few sexual scenes. Reading Level: YA+.
  rgruberexcel | Apr 30, 2015 |
  rgruberexcel | Apr 30, 2015 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,281,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible