The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:2013 Books Read, Read but unowned

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (1,114)  Spanish (19)  Dutch (7)  German (5)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,155)
Savvy and sweet. A coming-of-age love story and attitude trip. Hazel and Gus are teenagers, discovering and imagining and debunking the world. But the safety net of comfort and dependence that standard teenagers benefit from is not intact for them, as they have or have had terminal illnesses. That familiarity with suffering makes their tale as wistful as Holden Caulfield's, but their resentfulness is more gentle and genial. Very funny: gallows humour of the wittiest and thereby searchingly poignant kind. The world, it turns out, is not a wish-granting factory. ( )
  eglinton | Oct 21, 2016 |
I liked this more than I thought I would. I probably had lower expectations because my best friend didn't like it much. Haha. I did actually really like this one, though.

I don't blame Hazel for the way she treats her parents. She was grieving and they were, at times, insensitive to that. The ending was spoiled for me, so I wasn't disappointed by it.

I thought it was realistic and sad and funny.

*Review written on July 11, 2016.* ( )
  danaenicole | Oct 14, 2016 |
Simply brilliant. Insightful and inspired, The Fault in Our Stars has just enough irreverence to turn a weighty subject into a funny, honest, compelling story. I am not the first to proclaim the genius of this book, so I'll just point out one small thing that I especially appreciated: There is no filler on these pages. Every paragraph seems economically crafted to shape the story and broaden the reader's understanding of the characters. No lengthy backstory or flashbacks are needed for us to feel like we've known Hazel, Gus and their families for years. And I was not left wanting more. The ending was completely satisfying, which is nice and strangely enough, unusual. Like the fictional novel referenced throughout this book, I concur with Gus when he says, "I kept feeling like it was a gift. Like you'd given me something important." ( )
  trwm | Oct 6, 2016 |
I gave this 5/5 stars.
Full review on my blog coming soon acascadeofbooks.blogspot.com
My thoughts:
1. Lived up to my expectations, it's just as good as everyone says.
2. The characters are great- Augustus is like the perfect guy!
3. I loved all the book references
4. This book made me feel better about myself, I guess it gave me hope in a way
5. The ending, sob, so good but so sad! ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
The Fault in Our Stars is about a 16 year old girl named Hazel that has Stage 4 lung cancer's story. Her mother makes her go to a Support Group with people with illnesses which Hazel hates. One day at the Support Group, she meets a 17 year old boy named Augustus Waters. Augustus is a cancer survivor with a prosthetic leg, but Hazel soon comes to like Gus (Augustus). Augustus and Hazel start to fall in love with each other over the liking of the book "An Imperial Affliction" by Peter Van Houten which Hazel introduced to Gus. Gus likes the book so much that he uses his dying wish on going to meet the author in the Nederlands with Hazel. Later in the book Augustus has a relapse of the cancer that ends with a tragic ending.

I loved the book because it's a wonderful story of two cancer love birds. I liked the way the author, John Green, described the characters in the book. I also like how they used an actual book and author. What don't like about the book is when Augustus died at the end. I didn't like that because it was so painful to read how everyone was mourning his death, especially Hazel. Other than that, I loved the book, and hope there is another book after "The Fault in Our Stars." ( )
  KennedyM.B1 | Oct 2, 2016 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)
Green writes books for young adults, but his voice is so compulsively readable that it defies categorization. He writes for youth, rather than to them, and the difference is palpable. He doesn't dumb anything down. His language is complex, his syntax adult. He freely references Kierkegaard and William Carlos Williams alongside bloody video games and action movies. Add to that a raw and real glimpse at childhood illness, and his latest, The Fault in Our Stars, may be his best book yet.
“The Fault in Our Stars” is all the more heart-rending for its bluntness about the medical realities of cancer. There are harrowing descriptions of pain, shame, anger and bodily fluids of every type. [...] These unpleasant details do nothing to diminish the romance; in Green’s hands, they only make it more moving. He shows us true love — two teenagers helping and accepting each other through the most humiliating physical and emotional ordeals — and it is far more romantic than any sunset on the beach.
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,762,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible