The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

10,031904284 (4.37)590
Member:dallenbaugh
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:2013 Books Read, Read but unowned

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: Don't forget to be awesome.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (875)  Spanish (7)  Dutch (5)  German (5)  French (4)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (901)
I had a hard time choosing a rating for this book. The writing and plot are very good. However, it is ultimately a teenage romance, which is not my cup of tea (I picked it up mainly because it was on the Kindle Book Club list for December).

After thinking about it for a couple of days, it occurred to me that the fact I though of it as a teenage romance was the best reason to give it a higher rating. I didn't think of it as a tragic story (although it is), or as a "teenagers with cancer romance". By weaving the issues of dealing with cancer into the very fabric of his characters, the author made it seem like just another problem. It was as if cancer for these kids was like a case of bad acne. They accepted their illness and, ultimately, would not allow it to define who they were.

grandpahobo | Mar 23, 2015 |
the fault in our stars is a book about hazel grace. hazels mom thinks hazel is depressed so she sends her to a therapy group. the group has a lot of kids who have cancer like hazel. hazel has lung cancer. hazel meets Augustus and falls in love. hazel loves the book an imperial affliction and decides to go to Amsterdam. the book author ended up being a jerk in their minds. Augustus was soon sick again with his cancer. Augustus died and hazel read the note he was supposed to read at her funeral.
this book was a really great book. the way hazel and Augustus loves each other was described very well. I was really interested. all of my friends said it was really good and I thought so to. I also loved the movie. the way everyone treats each other was really cool. ( )
  HaleyC.B4 | Mar 22, 2015 |
-Spoiler Alert!-

The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green, is a moving story about love and cancer. Hazel, the main character, has lung cancer. Her mom sends her to a support group because she believes that Hazel is depressed. However, Hazel finds it completely boring and therefore HATES it. One day, at the support group, her life changes. She sees a boy named Augustus, who is a friend of Issac (Issac has eye cancer). The two people get to know eachother and Hazel shares her favorite book with him: An Imperial Affliction. The book ends in suspense, so both Augustus and Hazel have a common ambition to ask Peter Van Houten (the author) how the ending turns out. They both go to Amsterdam, where Van Houton lives, and ask him how he imagines the ending of An Imperial Affliction. To their great suprise, the author they revered was an absolute jerk to them. Disappionted, the two travel home. A few days later, tragedy strikes. Cancer stabs Augustus in the back and he dies. At his funeral, Hazel meets Van Houten and he tells her that the reason he wrote the book was that his daughter had cancer and died. Hazel later discovers that Augustus had written a sequel to An Imperial Affliction. Surprise, Hazel gets the happy ending of a fan's dream.

The Fault In Our Stars is a very moving book artfully designed for everyone teens and above. It brings out the emotions that are hidden inside, even in the most secretive person. It definitely deserves a 5-star rating. Even though some of the events were easy to predict, there are some parts that keep you on your toes. The Fault In Our Stars was very riveting - I read it in two days! This novel will make you want to curl up on your couch, and to run up and down the stairs with joy. It will make you want to punch your pillow continuously, and it makes you happy that you are YOU! ( )
  MeganS.B3 | Mar 19, 2015 |
This book had it all, laughter, sadness, grief, and love. An amazing book by John Greene (who I follow on vlogbrothers on youtube). This book was a big hit at our school last year as it was read in many Frosh English classes.
  sbalicki | Mar 16, 2015 |
I thought at just around midnight that I would just read a few pages and then fall asleep. Not to be. I smiled, I cried, and finally finished the book a few minutes ago. (I am calling this the 3am review).

Even though I think the dialogue improbable for 16-17 year olds, I loved the book. Maybe because I too have lost a loved one to cancer, but then again, love and pain are universal, and you do not need the exact experience to recognise it. Glad I read it, but not quite sure how I will now succeed in sleeping... ( )
  CeliciaS | Mar 15, 2015 |
Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
My mother thought I was depressed. Possibly because I rarely left the house, spent quite a lot of time in bed, read the same book over and over, slept a lot, ate infrequently and devoted quite a bit of my abundant free time to thinking about death.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Amazon Best Books of the Month, January 2012: In The Fault in Our Stars, John Green has created a soulful novel that tackles big subjects--life, death, love--with the perfect blend of levity and heart-swelling emotion. Hazel is sixteen, with terminal cancer, when she meets Augustus at her kids-with-cancer support group. The two are kindred spirits, sharing an irreverent sense of humor and immense charm, and watching them fall in love even as they face universal questions of the human condition--How will I be remembered? Does my life, and will my death, have meaning?--has a raw honesty that is deeply moving. --Seira Wilson
Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,163,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible