The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:dallenbaugh
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:2013 Books Read, Read but unowned

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)
    Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (bpompon)
    First Love by James Patterson (dara85)

English (1,098)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,137)
This book is about a girl with cancer that meets a boy who had cancer before. It shows their love story and has a tragic ending.

I really enjoyed this book. I read it within one day and will definitely read it again.

I first read this in high school, which is the age in which I believe it should be read. Middle school may also be an appropriate age group for this book as well.
  Franki3 | Jul 20, 2016 |
The best part of this book is the title, stripped from [b:Julius Caesar|13006|Julius Caesar (Oxford School Shakespeare)|William Shakespeare|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1354574927s/13006.jpg|2796883]. Otherwise pretty much everything else is abysmal. Practically no character depth, cheap references to great works/authors(simultaneously works for the characters and against them. They only quote works off their high school reading list, which would be natural, but talk like they're working on the senior English theses), unrealistic dialogue/characters/plotline, and painful 'quirkiness' (buying but not smoking cigarettes, saying peoples' full name constantly, having sex as a stage 4 lung cancer patient on oxygen that gets tired from standing).

I'm reading [b:Infinite Jest|6759|Infinite Jest|David Foster Wallace|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1446876799s/6759.jpg|3271542]and there's a line about this filmography being unengaging, pretentious, and bad. This is almost a good way to describe TFIOS–the only thing is this book isn't really quite pretentious. It's contrived and shallow, but not pretentious. That would imply it's on a high level in any sense of the word...which really makes me sound pretentious. Especially when I consider the ridiculous rating this book has and its disgusting(now that I've read it) popularity. It's worse than [b:The Martian|18007564|The Martian|Andy Weir|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1413706054s/18007564.jpg|21825181].

Anyway, don't read it even to see what the John Green hype is about. ( )
  chronoceros | Jul 15, 2016 |
OMG this is one of the best books I've ever read from beginning to end. It's about cancer so yeah it's sad, but overall it's laugh out loud and just wonderful. Love the h and h. They are just incredible people. ( )
  unfufu | Jul 13, 2016 |
I did think it was pretty amazing. I didn't know what to expect and I'm happy I went into it knowing nothing other than there were teens with cancer in it. That was literally all I knew. The narrator did a fantastic job of bringing the characters to life. I recommend this to pretty much anyone. Except maybe folks who have recently lost loved ones to cancer. I think it would be too much for my friends and relatives who have lost people they love over the past couple of years. ( )
  amcheri | Jul 12, 2016 |
First off, if you plan to read this book I HIGHLY recommend you listen to the audio version. Kate Rudd does an amazing job reading it. She really acted the parts. I loved that Augustus didn't just call Hazel, Hazel Grace. He called her HazelGrace like it was one word. I think because of Kate I fell in love with these characters and this book yet this book totally broke my heart. I got so engrossed with listening that I drove a floor higher in the parking garage at work before I realized it. I loved that Hazel says how it is and she isn't afraid of what people think. She is so quirky that it made me want to be her friend. Isaac, their friend who is going blind, was a snarky, hilarious character and Kate made me want to date him. Loved, loved, loved Augustus. He had so much passion and again didn't really care about what he said. And he didn't care if he was good looking. The dynamics of all the relationships was wonderful. This book made me burst out laughing and also practically had me curled up on the floor of my car sobbing. I hope the movie does it justice. These characters will be with me for a very long time. I might have to visit them again. I'm a cancer survivor so this book probably should have depressed me but it didn't. It made me smile. Please, please, please pick up the audio book from the library and give it a listen. You will be glad you took a ride with these wonderful characters. I'm going to miss them. Sigh... ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 12, 2016 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Green writes books for young adults, but his voice is so compulsively readable that it defies categorization. He writes for youth, rather than to them, and the difference is palpable. He doesn't dumb anything down. His language is complex, his syntax adult. He freely references Kierkegaard and William Carlos Williams alongside bloody video games and action movies. Add to that a raw and real glimpse at childhood illness, and his latest, The Fault in Our Stars, may be his best book yet.

“The Fault in Our Stars” is all the more heart-rending for its bluntness about the medical realities of cancer. There are harrowing descriptions of pain, shame, anger and bodily fluids of every type. [...] These unpleasant details do nothing to diminish the romance; in Green’s hands, they only make it more moving. He shows us true love — two teenagers helping and accepting each other through the most humiliating physical and emotional ordeals — and it is far more romantic than any sunset on the beach.

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,517,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible