The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:Raynelove
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: 1St Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)

English (1,242)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,290)
A beautiful story that covers love, hope, and peace.
  Rachael_Dorsch | Dec 11, 2018 |
This book is about Hazel and Augustus. Both teens who are battling cancer. They become friends and eventually that turns into a romantic relationship.

I really like this book and the fact that there (spoiler alert) was not a happy ending. It goes to show that life isn't fair and that tragedies happen. The author did a wonderful job creating these characters and getting me so emotionally evolved in this roller coaster of emotions.
  Hayleykeyser | Dec 3, 2018 |
One shouldn't expect a happy ending when reading a book about two teenagers with a terminal illness falling in love. Regardless, I don't recommend reading this in public.

It's a coming of age tale, sped up by the potential of a short life. A look into the thoughts and feelings of people who feel the end near, thus focus on the things which are important to them. As one of those things is a novel, this book did ring all my bells. It glazes over the more adult part of it's YA label. When I was the age of the primary audience for this novel, I read Forever by Judy Bloom. The relationship in Forever seemed (in my memory anyway) significantly more complicated and adult.

I recently happened to be in the same location as a John Green book signing and witness an enormous line of tweens, as excited as an crowd waiting to see a boy band. How exciting for them to be so thrilled to see an author. Made my heart happy. But looking into their young, thrilled faces I wondered for how many of them did this book represent (spoiler alert) the first time they 'knew' someone who died. How crushing. How this book will probably be with them for the rest of their lives (and now they have the movie, too. This tween generation's Jack and Rose).

Overall: if you're an adult - read this as a simple read which will make you nostalgic for your youth. If you're a teen, read this to experience a more grown up word. ( )
  LivingReflections | Dec 2, 2018 |
Het orgineel van mijn review kan je vinden op mijn blog:

Dit boek is me aangeraden door mijn dochters, en terecht!!! Het doet me denken aan Love Story. Natuurlijk is het een dramatisch verhaal, maar het is zo vreselijk goed geschreven, met een gezonde dosis humor. Het ene moment zat ik vreselijk sentimenteel te zijn, het volgende moment zat ik te grinniken om een cynische komische opmerking.Het is het gewoon een goed boek wat je uit moet lezen!

*Je gaat er pas aan dood als je ze aansteekt,* zei hij terwijl mijn moeder voor ons stopte. *En ik heb er nog nooit eentje aangestoken. Het is een metafoor, snap je : je stopt dat ding wat je dood kan maken gewoon tussen je tanden, maar je geeft het niet de macht je te doden.

Hazel Grace, zou ik, met mijn beperkte intellectuele capaciteiten, een brief kunnen verzinnen van Peter van Houten met zinnen als “onze triomfaal gedigitaliseerde contemporaniteit?”

Ik ben net, net… Ik ben net een granaat, mam. Ik ben net een granaat en er komt een moment dat ik ontplof en ik wil het aantal slachtoffers graag tot een minimum beperken.

En pas nu ik van een granaat hield, begreep ik hoe dom het van mij was geweest om anderen te proberen te behoeden voor mijn eigen dreigende versplintering

Het mag duidelijk zijn, ik heb het niet drooggehouden, ondertussen terugdenkend aan Iris, die tijdens het lezen van het boek bij mij uit kwam huilen.
  LindaKwakernaat | Nov 29, 2018 |
B-E-A-utiful.... ( )
  iSatyajeet | Nov 21, 2018 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,804,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible