The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars (original 2012; edition 2012)

by John Green

Member:mashiox
Title:The Fault in Our Stars
Authors:John Green
Info:Dutton Juvenile (2012), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (2012)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Every Day by David Levithan (brnoze)
    brnoze: This is a wonderful story with a great premise. A young adult who wakes up as a different person every 24 hours. The author drops into the lives of many different characters and we get to learn through the eyes of the main character A. This is a love story. a coming of age story and a fantasy of a very different kind. I really enjoyed it.… (more)
    Love Story by Erich Segal (cransell)
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: Both stories have witty teenagers who fall in love as they go through tough times together and contain excellent character development.
    Paper Towns by John Green (StephReads, chwiggy)
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham (kaledrina)
    This Star Won't Go Out: The Life and Words of Esther Grace Earl by Esther Earl (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: Don't forget to be awesome.
    Going Bovine by Libba Bray (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Both are about teenagers with a terminal disease, but both books manage to be incredibly funny, even when they're making you cry.
    Every You, Every Me by David Levithan (kaledrina)
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (tandah)
    Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews (chazzard)
    Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Both books have the same dark humour, and contain strong messages about humanity and disability.
    Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic (kaledrina)
    Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz (Anonymous user)
    Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (chwiggy)
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green (sduff222)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LottaBerling)
    Love Ya Like a Sister: A Story of Friendship by Julie Johnston (Cecilturtle)
    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb (mim)

English (1,232)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (8)  German (8)  French (3)  Danish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  All languages (1,280)
Before I go and wholeheartedly recommend this beautiful book, I'm going to tell you--it's not for everyone and it's by far not John Green's best work. If you read this book first, THERE IS BETTER. Because it's John Green, and he's on a roller coaster that only goes up.

Firstly, John Green is brilliant. If you don't get that, watch his fabulously nerdy, brilliant, funny youtube videos and see all of the stuff that he does for the world and his fans.

Secondly, this book is brilliant. It's comedy, tragedy, expected, yet unexpected, and overall witty. As someone who has dealt with cancer in my family, I must say it is very accurate depiction of the emotions involved. But it's not all sad, I promise. It's just...TFIOS. Read it for yourself. ( )
  KatelynSBolds | Nov 12, 2018 |
Hazel’s cancer has always been terminal but her health is currently stable due to an experimental drug. Life takes a new turn when she meets Augustus Waters and falls in love. Interesting and refreshingly real view of what it’s like to be dying and trying to enjoy and experience life at the same time. ( )
  AccyP | Nov 11, 2018 |
I read the audiobook version of this novel in Spanish. I'm not sure why I actually liked it this time around. It's like I'm so used to sarcasm in Spanish that I actually laughed at Hazel's snarky remarks. She wasn't as annoyingly sharp as I thought she was in English so that was interesting for me.

I'm still not a fan of the love story as a whole. Gus was still really unbearable for me but for some reason the dialogue was really funny to me. It could just be that the narrator did a really good job but who knows? Maybe my Spanish-was-the-first-language-I-knew brain just liked hearing something it's original tongue. ( )
  Jessika.C | Nov 1, 2018 |
"Pain demands to be felt."

I haven't been able to decide if this is a book or a punch to the heart. I realized it's both and that is not a bad thing. It did what the written word is suppose to do..it made me feel. It made me feel angry and sad and happy. It made me think and learn. It made me laugh and cry. Yes, it did take my heart and crush it but I loved every minute of it. I loved that I did not get a perfect little cookie cutter love story. It felt real. I am a deep lover of fantasy, fairytales, and magic (not to cut it down it anyway) but sometimes I want something that hits closer to home...something that feels a little more honest (if that makes sense).

I know this isn't they way I normally review stuff but I really don't care. ( )
  FindingMagicInBooks | Oct 30, 2018 |
Well, I read this book in about six hours so it definitely sucks you in. It's an extremely easy read, which I love sometimes, but I really liked it. You can instantly tell it's a YA book but who cares?? Sometimes you want a book that you can't put down, that you don't need to think about, and that you will get into before the first chapter is even over. This was that book. It's a little cheesy, sure, but it was cute and sad and enjoyable. ( )
  thisismelissaanne | Oct 29, 2018 |
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Milo (Aug 5, 2014)

Allison Hunter Hill (VOYA, April 2012 (Vol. 35, No. 1))
Hazel Grace is a sixteen-year-old cancer patient, caught up in the effort it takes to live in a body that everyone knows is running out of time. When she reluctantly agrees to return to her local teen cancer support group to satisfy her mother, the last thing she expects is an encounter with destiny. New to the group, Augustus Waters is handsome, bitingly sarcastic, and in remission. He is also immediately taken with Hazel, and what begins as a casual friendship soon escalates into a full romance. Through an impressive exchange of books and words, philosophies and metaphors, Hazel and Augustus tear apart what it means to be both star-crossed lovers and imminently mortal. While Hazel fixates about how her death will eventually hurt her loved ones, Augustus obsesses about how he will be remembered; the two are drawn together by the justified anxiety they feel over endings. grades 10 to Ages 15 to 18.

added by kthomp25 | editVOYA, Allison Hunter Hill

John Greenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rudd, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zeitz, SophieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean:
"Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it,
rising up and rising down, taking everything with it."

"What's that?" I asked.

"Water," the Dutchman said. "Well, and time."

-PETER VAN HOUTEN, An Imperial Affliction
To Esther Earl
Late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided I was depressed.
My favorite book, by a wide margin, was An Imperial Affliction, but I didn't like to tell people about it. Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.

It wasn't even that the book was so good or anything; it was just that the author, Peter Van Houten, seemed to understand me in weird and impossible ways. An Imperial Affliction was my book, in the way my body was my body and my thoughts were my thoughts.
There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. Got knows that's what everyone else does.
You are buying into the cross-stitched sentiments of your parents' throw pillows. You're arguing that the fragile, rare thing is beautiful simply because it is fragile and rare. But that's a lie, and you know it.
What am I at war with? My cancer. And what is my cancer? My cancer is me. The tumors are made of me. They're made of me as surely as my brain and my heart are made of me. It is a civil war, Hazel Grace, with a predetermined winner.
There is no honor in dying of.

Cancer teens in love --

You might want to have a box

of tissues on hand.

Sixteen-year-old Hazel, a stage IV thyroid cancer patient, has accepted her terminal diagnosis until a chance meeting with a boy at cancer support group forces her to reexamine her perspective on love, loss, and life.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,203,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible