Secret Letters at Trebizon by Anne Digby

Secret Letters at Trebizon

by Anne Digby

Excellent as usual. I feel that the fifth year stories are just top-notch, Digby's writing is so good. The solution to the mystery was far-fetched but one of my hobbies is penpalling and I absolutely loved everything that had to do with this. Also, it's lovely to see everyone focusing on their school work so much (you can tell I'm a teacher) and there's a great sense of camaraderie coming from so many books spent with the same group of people, I feel like I'm friends with them. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
Secret Letters at Trebizon is the thirteenth book in Anne Digby's wonderful Trebizon series - stories about a girls' boarding school set on the Cornish coast and written between the 1970s and 1990s. As a child I adored school stories of any era (who am I kidding? I still do) and Trebizon was one of my favourites because it was set in the present day so I could actually imagine going to school there myself!

I never managed to collect all the Trebizon books when I was young so I was thrilled to see that Fidra books have republished two of the later ones. To be honest, these weren't Digby's best books. Some of the language is rather stilted and the plots are somewhat contrived but I don't care. Trebizon, sitting practically on the beach in Cornwall where the girls can surf after lessons, and run by enlightened staff that don't mind the girls having boyfriends from the boys' school down the road, is definitely the school I'd have wanted to attend.

In this novel Rebecca and her friends are revising for their GCSE exams, which I kind of hoped might inspire me to get on with my own revision - but sadly not. Still, it was lovely to re-read a book I loved so much as a child, especially in the beautiful edition that Fidra books have produced. ( )
  Literary_butterfly | Nov 4, 2012 |
The penultimate book in the Trebizon series. Having been pleased to discover the rest of this series from my childhood I am now sad about having to finish it for good with the next book after the best part of thirty years! I thought this one was as good as I remember any of the earlier ones being. Even as an adult I couldn't figure out how the letter mystery central to the book was going to be happily concluded which was nice. It's a huge nostalgia kick reading these. ( )
  nocto | May 31, 2012 |
Last but one in the Trebizon series this book is a bit more elusive than the others to find: or was until it was reissued by Fidra books. I think the new cover tries to make it rather too retro for a book written in the 90s, but it's otherwise a lovely edition, and I hope they also bring out the last book in the series at some point.

As a book this is somewhat lightweight, and I wouldn't really recommend to adults unless they're seeking nostalgia having read the rest of the series. There's a nice little mystery to solve, mock exams, a little romance, and a big hockey match, but not a lot really happens. I suspect children of the 11-12 age range it's aimed at would still enjoy it, though find the 90s setting a little bit retro without being old enough to be interesting.

The real charm for me of this edition is the lovely foreword by the author, and a great essay at the back discussing how the Trebizon series fits in with the great tradition of girls school stories. I think I probably enjoyed these more than the book itself! ( )
  lnr_blair | Jul 10, 2009 |

It's a busy time for Rebecca as she sits her mock GCSE exams. Rebecca is also looking forward to the French exchange visit at Easter when she will meet her French pen-friend, Emmanuelle. All of Emmanuelle's letters were safely hidden. However, someone taken Rebecca's revision notes and then the letters are tampered with.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible