JLA, Vol. 17: Syndicate Rules by Kurt Busiek

JLA, Vol. 17: Syndicate Rules

by Kurt Busiek

Not great literature, but some interesting ideas and well-written; better written then the usual DC/Marvel trash. At least it didn't insult my intelligence too severely!

Plus I have to admit that I get a big kick out of seeing evil versions of Superman, Batman, and the rest. When they're handled right (as here), they're a lot of fun. And I like alternate universe stories.

I'll admit that the knowledge that DC wouldn't get too nasty with the "dark" characters added to the experience, for me. Unlike some people, I don't like books or comics where the author vies to see just how vile and shocking they can be. I run across that sort of thing more often than I would like.

There's a little of that "normal Americans love their superheroes and fight to help them" shtick in this book. That seems to be a very popular theme for DC/Marvel. But at least it's used to comedic effect; it's still a bit annoying (as it was in Sam Raimi's Spiderman movie), but acceptable. ( )
  PMaranci | Apr 3, 2013 |
Although I thought this one had some big problems with being comprehensible (especially whenever the Qwardian's got involved) it was still a lot of fun. The CSA is great, they're such bastards. It must be fun to write the big 3 without a conscience. ( )
  ragwaine | Feb 14, 2011 |
The time: one year ago. The place: a tiny eastern european nation, nestled between the banks of the Wladavia and Kjiewicz rivers. The world... ...not our own.

Seeking retribution for the upheavals in their antimatter universe, the Crime Syndicate of Amerika of Earth 2 brings chaos to Earth. The Weaponers of Qward of the antimatter universe take advantage of the situation and threaten both teams and everyone on earth with a terrible new super weapon.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,823,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible