Faery Tales & Nightmares by Melissa Marr

Faery Tales & Nightmares

by Melissa Marr

This book is composed of several paranormal short stories. There are five that are about the Wicked Lovely world. Two I had already read on their own (Stopping Time and Old Habits) so I skipped those, but I loved the ones I hadn't read before! You get to learn about what happens with Rabbit in Faery, and what happens between Keenan and Donia after the series is over. Probably my favorite though was seeing what happens to Seth after the events in the main series.
Aside from the Wicked Lovely stories, my favorite was one about Selkies. It was so well thought out and put together that I could easily see myself reading a whole series around that world. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
I picked up this anthology of short works by Marr after reading her novel 'Graveminder,' which I really liked. I voted for it for best horror of the year here on Goodreads, and it won! Yay!
However, I haven't read any of the books in her 'Wicked Lovely' series, and my enjoyment of this book suffered because of that. I think that people who have read all those books will be delighted by this - many of the pieces obviously offer background information on beloved characters, and "fill-in" information on that world.
It's clearly aimed at a teen audience, much more so than 'Graveminder' was. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Fairy tales have long been associated with the dreams of children, which are often narrated by weary parents at the end of a long day. These stories are innocent tales of faraway places that allow little girls and boys to believe in heroes. For most of history they have been dominated by childhood, but to the delight of some parents there are a new breed of fairy tales. A darker set of stories that are designed for an older age group. Whether they be young adults or average age, they are a welcome change. For once young adults can embrace fairy tales that are not based on childhood fantasy, but on a more modern fantasy world that dabbles in the sensual and erotic. This book is about those darker fairy tales or nightmares. They are stories that some would rather read in the middle of night and wish they were true. The author brings forth the world of the Fairies and introduces readers to various characters. Dark magic and pleasure are mixed into the stories in order to bring a world of fascinating, but sometimes frustrating excitement to the reader.

I must say that I found this book to be rather enjoyable. I had not read the author’s work in quite some time and slowly began to recall her works as I read the different stories. I became frustrated when I realized that I had patches missing about the back story, but was able to figure out who everyone was fairly easily. Now I know I need to go back and find her more recent books to catch up on the series. I do believe this book is great if you are current on her books. If you are like me and somewhat behind it can be a little bit confusing. It is still a lot of fun and the characters are very enjoyable. I found the lengths of the stories to be just right. I thought they were all well written. Overall she did a great job as usual and I am looking forward to getting caught up with her works. ( )
  Jennifer35k | Aug 10, 2014 |
This anthology of fantasy stories about half stories set in the world’ the author created in ‘Wicked Lovely’, using characters from that story. Some show back story, some things that happened after the last of those books, some are things that took place off stage. The other half are set in different realities, and these were the ones I really liked.

‘Love Struck” is about a human and a selchie falling in love and trying to avoid the traps that such couples usually run into. ‘Transistion’ shows us vampires, territorialism, and how frustrating it might be to be immortal. ‘Flesh for Comfort’ is a disturbing tale of what people will do for power and admiration.

The ‘Wicked Lovely’ stories are entertaining even if you (like me) haven’t read the books, but they lack the impact of the others. They seem to fill in spots of characters lives rather than having earth shaking consequences.

One thing all the stories have in common is that they are about change and coming to terms with those changes. Both humans and supernatural beings are forced to realize that to get the lives they want they will have to sacrifice some things and learn new methods of dealing with things, ways different from what the old ways dictate. In most of the stories these changes are for the good; in some, like ‘Flesh for Comfort’, maybe not so much. Beautiful prose that reminded me a lot of old fairy tales. ( )
  lauriebrown54 | Jul 23, 2014 |
  thenerdypuffer | Jul 1, 2014 |

Melissa Marrprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barron, MiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Griffith, KaleoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Rathers
(aka the wonderful readers
on the WickedLovely.com fan site),
who’ve been such a joy to me
these past several years.

teas, and fab art.

A collection of short stories featuring tales of characters from the Wicked Lovely novels that mix with accounts of new characters.

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,773,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible