Practical Ethics in Sport Management by…

Practical Ethics in Sport Management

by Angela Lumpkin

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have to start out with I didn't know much about this subject, but I do love to read to learn about things I don't know. I learned a lot about what is have ethics in a business where little ethics are these days. The book brought up so many good things about what it means to really have virtue and character and how to use your own judgement in a lot of situations. I believe that many of the ideas that the authors had could be used in today's society as well as sports management. I suggest that anyone who loves sports or just loves to read to pick up this book. I have already passed it on to someone who is teaching high school sports and she has really found some parts of it useful. ( )
  Hillgirl | Nov 25, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was a very helpful guide to understanding more about what lies behind the normal sports management business. It brought up some interesting points about the ethics in sports management and how to implemet them. I found this book useful as I currently work at a fitness facility and have seen some of the issues the book discussed. ( )
  Renn_s | May 3, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Straight forward overview with examples of ethics issues in Sports Management. Valuable for students of Sports Management but does not have the depth or breadth to be of value beyond that domain but of good value for those who are interested in that domain. ( )
  knomad | May 1, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Practical Ethics in Sport Management can serve as a good introduction to the many ethical dilemmas that frequently arise within the context of sport management. Drawing from a considerable body of philosophical literature, the authors sketch a practical framework for approaching these issues using Aristotelean virtue ethics, moral psychology, and research in organizational leadership.

While this text is far from perfect, it does represent a very important step forward as we continue to struggle with the role of sports in society. Should it be viewed simply as a business and allowed to be dominated by market forces? What role should it have in adolescent development? Does it instill more virtue and character or foster unhealthy competition and violence? How can sports maintain an integral role within the mission of our educational institutions? These are important questions and while I do not always agree with the suggestions of the authors, I greatly admire their willingness to fully engage these topics through practical philosophical reflection. ( )
1 vote Daniel_Durbin | Apr 23, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ethical problems are cropping up in sports all over the country and at almost every level. From the New Orleans bounty program. To recruiting scandals at major colleges. Ethical dilemmas and lapses are costing people jobs, money and trust.

The authors tackle this issue in a philosophical way. Exploring ethics and other big ideas in abstract and then going into more detail later.

It is not perfect, maybe three authors is one too many, could have been a bit smoother on the transitions.

While not everyone will agree with their ideas, they are one of the few people actively writing about this topic, to help players, coaches and administrators deal with ethical dilemmas that they will face. ( )
  Wabbit98 | Mar 30, 2012 |

Leaders and managers throughout the sporting world face many ethical challenges on a daily basis. This book addresses such issues as violence in sports, racial and gender equity, performance-enhancing drugs, academics, and commercialization. It provides specific examples from real-world sports situations and reflective questions to encourage students to think critically. It also explores practical application ethics at all competitive levels, giving future athletic professionals the tools needed to navigate the tricky waters of ethics in sport.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Practical Ethics in Sport Management by Angela Lumpkin was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,274,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible