There Is No Dog by Meg Rosoff

There Is No Dog (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Meg Rosoff

Title:There Is No Dog
Authors:Meg Rosoff
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:Ya fiction, Satire

There Is No Dog by Meg Rosoff (2011)

The premise of the book is that God is a hormonal teenage boy - sounds interesting, right? There were a few funny lines, and a handful that made you stop and think about why things are the way they are, but overall this book fell short. There were a lot of extraneous characters that could have brought about a major climax at the end, but instead everything just came unraveled. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this book--it wasn't laugh-out-loud funny, more like smirk, smirk funny. God is a teen-age boy, who created the world in six days, then got bored and went back to skirt-chasing, his favorite pastime. Whenever he's sad, mad, or bad, the world sees tsunamis, earthquakes, and other cataclysms. Any ameliorations are due to the help of his faithful assistant, Mr. B. It's a wonderful satire, and actually makes as much sense as anything else as an explanation of the way the world works, or doesn't. That said, I am not sure I would classify this book as Young Adult, since the young, except for Bob, are not teen-aged but younger adults, living and working away from parents. Also, depending on the young adults you serve, this book could be quite offensive, even heretical. In my school district, there are so many immigrant Catholics who would find this shocking that I've decided to exclude it from the brochure I am doing. There are a few older students I might recommend this to, but very few. Still, I enjoyed Ms Rosoff's atheistic satire. And the title--There is no dog--there is no dog mentioned in the book, so it is a tongue-in-cheek reference to the author's own atheism (there is no god). ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Mar 5, 2014 |
waste of time ( )
  yukon92 | Dec 4, 2013 |
In usual Rosoff fashion I wasn't sure I liked this when I was reading it but as I've lived with it I find myself loving it more and more. Obviously her writing is still suburb and the story unique and thought-provoking. This book isn't going to be to everyone's taste since not everyone has a sense of humor when it comes to God and their beliefs. Much like Christopher Moore's Lamb, this book takes a humorous look at what kind of person God is, considering we're created in his image and likeness.

"She thought of talking to God, her God-a benign, all-seeing sort of deity who didn't get too involved with the day-to-day running of life, but who (she imagined) liked to be kept informed-a sort of thoughtful philosophy professor of a God, passing his days in contemplation of the moral complexities of good and evil."

"...with a little luck and a following wind, indulge in a few rounds of incredibly romantic rumpy-pumpy ding-dong merrily on high."

"That's how he had always felt. Run through with loneliness."
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
This book is just about the only believable explanation of that "everything happens for a reason" nonsense--the reason is that God is a thoughtless, selfish, occasionally brilliant teenage boy.
There you go. Everything makes sense now! ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |

In the beginning there was Bob.
And Bob created the heavens and earth,and the beasts of the field,and the creatures of the sea,and twenty-five million other species,including lots and lots of gorgeous girls.
And all of this he created in just six days.
Six Days! Congratulations, Bob.
No wonder Earth is such a mess.
Imagine that God is a typical teenage boy. He is lazy, careless, self-obsessed, sex-mad – and about to meet Lucy, the most beautiful girl on earth.
Unfortunately, whenever Bob falls in love, disaster follows.
Let us pray that Bob does not fall in love with Lucy.

When the beautiful Lucy prays to fall in love, God, an irresponsible youth named Bob, chooses to answer her prayer personally, to the dismay of this assistant, Mr. B who must try to clean up the resulting catastrophes.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible