There Is No Dog by Meg Rosoff

There Is No Dog (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Meg Rosoff

Member:wiremonkey
Title:There Is No Dog
Authors:Meg Rosoff
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2012), Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:Ya fiction, Satire

There Is No Dog by Meg Rosoff (2011)

I couldn't imagine God being a teenager named Bob, so I didn't make it very far in the book. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Bob's mother won Earth in a poker game, and gave it to Bob to get him out of her hair. He's a terrible God, lazy and selfish and foolish, but he does have flashes of brilliance. Luckily for Earth, he also has an assistant, Mr. B, who is as responsible, far-seeing and wise (if a bit stodgy) as Bob is not. Between the two of them, Earth mostly manages to putter along.

But then Bob falls in love with a human girl (again--you'd think he'd remember what happened the last few times he tried this) and Earth goes rather off the rails while he tries to court her. And Bob's pet Eck is scheduled to be eaten by a much more powerful god. And Mr. B finally tenders his resignation...

It's a little too much like magical realism or modern literature for me, and not much like fantasy. It all wraps up too neatly as well. But Rosoff is good at creating memorable, believable characters in a short amount of time, and her writing has a tinge of jaded sarcasm to it that I enjoy, so it was a fun read. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Imagine God not as a commanding old man with a mane of white hair and flowing robe, but as a hapless, horny teenage boy named Bob who stirs up natural disasters every time he falls in love. Mr. B is his assistant who for milennia has done his best to steer Bob/God in proper directions but is on the verge of throwing up his hands. After all, he's dealing with a self-absorbed god who believes "What a fabulous genius of a boyfriend I am." There are some humorous moments where you can almost see how the world could conceivably have been created by an indifferent teen. I can see how this novel is smart and satirical of beliefs about God, religion, and the afterlife. But I couldn't fully get into it and found myself plodding to the end just to see what happens between Bob and Lucy. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
The premise of the book is that God is a hormonal teenage boy - sounds interesting, right? There were a few funny lines, and a handful that made you stop and think about why things are the way they are, but overall this book fell short. There were a lot of extraneous characters that could have brought about a major climax at the end, but instead everything just came unraveled. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading this book--it wasn't laugh-out-loud funny, more like smirk, smirk funny. God is a teen-age boy, who created the world in six days, then got bored and went back to skirt-chasing, his favorite pastime. Whenever he's sad, mad, or bad, the world sees tsunamis, earthquakes, and other cataclysms. Any ameliorations are due to the help of his faithful assistant, Mr. B. It's a wonderful satire, and actually makes as much sense as anything else as an explanation of the way the world works, or doesn't. That said, I am not sure I would classify this book as Young Adult, since the young, except for Bob, are not teen-aged but younger adults, living and working away from parents. Also, depending on the young adults you serve, this book could be quite offensive, even heretical. In my school district, there are so many immigrant Catholics who would find this shocking that I've decided to exclude it from the brochure I am doing. There are a few older students I might recommend this to, but very few. Still, I enjoyed Ms Rosoff's atheistic satire. And the title--There is no dog--there is no dog mentioned in the book, so it is a tongue-in-cheek reference to the author's own atheism (there is no god). ( )
  fromthecomfychair | Mar 5, 2014 |

In the beginning there was Bob.
And Bob created the heavens and earth,and the beasts of the field,and the creatures of the sea,and twenty-five million other species,including lots and lots of gorgeous girls.
And all of this he created in just six days.
Six Days! Congratulations, Bob.
No wonder Earth is such a mess.
Imagine that God is a typical teenage boy. He is lazy, careless, self-obsessed, sex-mad – and about to meet Lucy, the most beautiful girl on earth.
Unfortunately, whenever Bob falls in love, disaster follows.
Let us pray that Bob does not fall in love with Lucy.

When the beautiful Lucy prays to fall in love, God, an irresponsible youth named Bob, chooses to answer her prayer personally, to the dismay of this assistant, Mr. B who must try to clean up the resulting catastrophes.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,388,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible