Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip by Jordan…

Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip (edition 2012)

by Jordan Sonnenblick

Member:odurant
Title:Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip
Authors:Jordan Sonnenblick
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:BOCD, Sound Commentary, baseball, dementia, grandparents, photography

Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip by Jordan Sonnenblick

Peter is facing his first year in high without his beloved baseball (he ruined his arm in the finals last Spring). Not only that, his grandfather, (his best friend) shows signs of losing it. Luckily, Peter discovers a photography class and Angelika... the rest is, well, history!

Charming, innocuous look at 9th grade; Peter's voice rings true and the romance is deftly handled. Scenes with his grandfather (who is developing Alzheimers) add gravitas to an otherwise light-hearted look at High School. Kissy-face scenes with Angelika happen off-camera (no pun intended) and they attend a party where they unknowingly imbibe alcohol-laced punch (and are suitably 'punished' with hangovers). Parents are kind and supportive and the relationship with the grandfather is pretty believable. ( )
  mjspear | May 22, 2013 |
This multi-layered offering is the story of Pete, a high school freshman who is trying to redefine his self-identity after a debilitating elbow injury ends his baseball career. At the same time, Pete's grandfather, with whom he shares a close relationship, is showing early signs of Alzheimers Disease and sees his 40 years as a career photographer slipping away from him. Secrets and half-truths build up as Pete tries to protect Grampa, maintain a friendship with his baseball-playing best friend, and navigate the new waters of romance with Anjelika, who has little patience for Pete's self-deceptions. Humorous and thought-provoking and altogether enjoyable. ( )
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
Pete has a promising high-school athletic career ahead of him, catching when his best friend pitches and pitching when his best friend catches. Then he blows out his elbow badly enough that he'll never play again. He buries himself in photography, bringing him closer to his retired-photographer grandfather as his grandfather begins to drift further away. Pete's keeping his grandfather's memory lapses a secret, and also keeping his own prognosis from his best friend. And he's learning that he can't hide the truth indefinitely--the people he loves will still see through the face he's been trying to present.

This is the second of Sonnenblick's books I've read, so maybe I'm more generous than I would be otherwise, but I liked this. I liked the characters and their interactions, I liked the writing style. I like seeing guys be guys without being jerks. I'll probably toss this into the high school booktalks in the fall. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
Very very funny at times... but I often found myself being thrown out of the story by the improbable dialogue. These kids are a little too witty and self-aware *all the time*. But it wasn't AWFULLY improbable... or the story was too compelling and funny otherwise to give up just based on that. It would have gotten four stars if not for that problem. ( )
  amaraduende | Mar 30, 2013 |
Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip by Jordan Sonnenblick is about a high-school-aged boy, Peter Friedman, who injures his pitching arm in the championship game going into high school. Not only can he never pitch again, but he hasn’t told his best friend, A.J. about it. While A.J. is reaping the rewards of being the star basketball player, Peter is left trying to find a new hobby. He takes up photography, which his grandfather has been teaching him since he was small. In doing so he meets Angelika, and they team up on many projects, slowly becoming boyfriend and girlfriend. Meanwhile, Peter’s grandfather is experiencing the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease, and his parents refuse to believe it. That’s where things begin to get interesting. Peter has gotten over the fact that he will never play sports again, but A.J. doesn’t know. Peter always wants to tell him, but never has the guts to do so. Also, Peter is trying to keep his new girlfriend happy while at the same time being the only one his grandpa can call to get help.
I really enjoyed this book. Not only did it focus on the serious and stressful side of high school, but did so in a humorous way. Things were always kept upbeat through Peter’s constant mocking of himself. However, people who picked up this book for the sports aspect will be disappointed. It isn’t at all a typical sports book where one team works hard and ends up winning the championship. In fact, the only time sports is the main focus is in the very beginning. After that it dives into much more serious issues such as family and relationships. People who enjoy photography will probably enjoy this book more than sports fanatics. With that being said, I picked up this book for the sports aspect and actually found it very entertaining and enjoyable to read. It was fresh and funny, while at the same time being serious. Peter is a very “real” character. He doesn’t have any superhuman abilities, or extremely lofty goals. He embodies what most high school boys see themselves as. ( )
  ahsreads | Nov 30, 2012 |

Jordan Sonnenblickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

After an injury ends former star pitcher Peter Friedman's athletic dreams, he concentrates on photography which leads him to a girlfriend, new fame as a high school sports photographer, and a deeper relationship with the beloved grandfather who, when he realizes he's becoming senile, gives Pete all of his professional camera gear.… (more)

10 wanted1 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,559,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible