Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip by Jordan…

Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip (edition 2012)

by Jordan Sonnenblick

Member:odurant
Title:Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip
Authors:Jordan Sonnenblick
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:BOCD, Sound Commentary, baseball, dementia, grandparents, photography

Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip by Jordan Sonnenblick

Sports (5)

Sonnenblick really hit my heart with this book pete is a born natural baseball pitcher. He and his best friend AJ are a team with AJ catching. Pete has secrets. One that becomes apparent early in the book us that something is wrong with his elbow. Instead of resting it, telling his parents or seeking medical attention, he keeps sending curveballs and fast balls across the plate, ignoring the growing spin, until, one pitch, sends his body down into the pirate. The outcome, pete will never pitch again. In fact he has to learn to do simple basic tasks again. His next secret involves his grandpa who is a well known professional photographer. Pete and his grandpa are close and he has taught bus grandson the business. After pete ends up un a beginning photography class, the teacher accuses him of trying to get sn easy A, so sends he and another freshman Angelica to the advanced class. Now pete is making a name for himself in high school, not because of baseball, but his knowledge send talent for photography. Pete notices grandpa is blanking out and forgetting basic things. It's getting progressively worse and grandpa realizes this and begs pete not to tell his mother. He jeeps the secret, but doing that does not help grandpa. It's a beautiful story of family, love and friendship. It is heartbreaking to see grandpa fall out of life as Alzheimer's consumes his full, active past. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Sweet story. The grandfather- grandson relationship was so wonderful and so real!!! ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
Sometimes life doesn't take you on the path that you planned. That is what high school freshman, Peter Friedman finds out when a sports injury takes him out of his role as star pitcher and forces him to search within himself to find out what else defines him. ( )
  saillergirl | Jan 18, 2016 |
How do you deal with the disappointment that you won't be the star athlete on your high school team? Especially when it results from an injury that you can't come back from? For Peter, he turns to photography, an interest he's shared with his grandfather for most of his life. Peter finds he can participate in a different way by photographing the sport he once loved to play. But just as Peter's starting this, his grandfather begins to exhibit some weird behavior--giving Peter all his gear, forgetting things, and sometimes spacing out. Peter has to decide whether to obey his grandfather and say nothing or protect him by telling his parents. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
I think this book is interesting. It's interesting because I can relate to it. I like to read books that I can relate to because it makes the book more exiting in my opinion. Peter hurt his arm so badly that his dream of being a baseball pitcher with his best friend in High school vanishes. I can relate to this because I once sprained my ankle while jumping on a trampoline and I wasn't able to play the sport I love(soccer) for a month. I had to basically find other hobbies to do while I was injured like Peter is forced to do and he turns to photography.
He turned to photography because his grandpa was a photographer and that was an easy thing to turn to because he already had some experience from watching his grandpa at work. ( )
  william_A_Flores | Oct 3, 2014 |

Jordan Sonnenblickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The very first thing I can remember is this: I am really, really mad at my mom for some reason. I'm sitting in the middle of the living room, arms crossed, pouting.

After an injury ends former star pitcher Peter Friedman's athletic dreams, he concentrates on photography which leads him to a girlfriend, new fame as a high school sports photographer, and a deeper relationship with the beloved grandfather who, when he realizes he's becoming senile, gives Pete all of his professional camera gear.… (more)

8 wanted1 pay8 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,614,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible