Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip by Jordan…

Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip (edition 2012)

by Jordan Sonnenblick

1931361,059 (4.19)1
Member:odurant
Title:Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip
Authors:Jordan Sonnenblick
Info:Scholastic Press (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:BOCD, Sound Commentary, baseball, dementia, grandparents, photography

Curveball: The Year I Lost My Grip by Jordan Sonnenblick

I think this book is interesting. It's interesting because I can relate to it. I like to read books that I can relate to because it makes the book more exiting in my opinion. Peter hurt his arm so badly that his dream of being a baseball pitcher with his best friend in High school vanishes. I can relate to this because I once sprained my ankle while jumping on a trampoline and I wasn't able to play the sport I love(soccer) for a month. I had to basically find other hobbies to do while I was injured like Peter is forced to do and he turns to photography.
He turned to photography because his grandpa was a photographer and that was an easy thing to turn to because he already had some experience from watching his grandpa at work. ( )
  william_A_Flores | Oct 3, 2014 |
Peter is facing his first year in high without his beloved baseball (he ruined his arm in the finals last Spring). Not only that, his grandfather, (his best friend) shows signs of losing it. Luckily, Peter discovers a photography class and Angelika... the rest is, well, history!

Charming, innocuous look at 9th grade; Peter's voice rings true and the romance is deftly handled. Scenes with his grandfather (who is developing Alzheimers) add gravitas to an otherwise light-hearted look at High School. Kissy-face scenes with Angelika happen off-camera (no pun intended) and they attend a party where they unknowingly imbibe alcohol-laced punch (and are suitably 'punished' with hangovers). Parents are kind and supportive and the relationship with the grandfather is pretty believable. ( )
  mjspear | May 22, 2013 |
This multi-layered offering is the story of Pete, a high school freshman who is trying to redefine his self-identity after a debilitating elbow injury ends his baseball career. At the same time, Pete's grandfather, with whom he shares a close relationship, is showing early signs of Alzheimers Disease and sees his 40 years as a career photographer slipping away from him. Secrets and half-truths build up as Pete tries to protect Grampa, maintain a friendship with his baseball-playing best friend, and navigate the new waters of romance with Anjelika, who has little patience for Pete's self-deceptions. Humorous and thought-provoking and altogether enjoyable. ( )
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |
Pete has a promising high-school athletic career ahead of him, catching when his best friend pitches and pitching when his best friend catches. Then he blows out his elbow badly enough that he'll never play again. He buries himself in photography, bringing him closer to his retired-photographer grandfather as his grandfather begins to drift further away. Pete's keeping his grandfather's memory lapses a secret, and also keeping his own prognosis from his best friend. And he's learning that he can't hide the truth indefinitely--the people he loves will still see through the face he's been trying to present.

This is the second of Sonnenblick's books I've read, so maybe I'm more generous than I would be otherwise, but I liked this. I liked the characters and their interactions, I liked the writing style. I like seeing guys be guys without being jerks. I'll probably toss this into the high school booktalks in the fall. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
Very very funny at times... but I often found myself being thrown out of the story by the improbable dialogue. These kids are a little too witty and self-aware *all the time*. But it wasn't AWFULLY improbable... or the story was too compelling and funny otherwise to give up just based on that. It would have gotten four stars if not for that problem. ( )
  amaraduende | Mar 30, 2013 |

Jordan Sonnenblickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The very first thing I can remember is this: I am really, really mad at my mom for some reason. I'm sitting in the middle of the living room, arms crossed, pouting.

After an injury ends former star pitcher Peter Friedman's athletic dreams, he concentrates on photography which leads him to a girlfriend, new fame as a high school sports photographer, and a deeper relationship with the beloved grandfather who, when he realizes he's becoming senile, gives Pete all of his professional camera gear.… (more)

10 wanted1 pay7 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,900,899 books! | Top bar: Always visible