The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen,…

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume 3 Part 2: Century: 1969 (2011)

by Alan Moore, Kevin O'Neill (Illustrator)

331933,359 (3.42)7

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
Mina has a bad trip.

A. Crowley (Haddo) is still trying to get his “moon child” anti-christ baby plan in action. Another reviewer made the comment that it was obvious Moore had never read Crowley's "Moonchild" book. I wouldn't know either way, but may have to check it out to appease my own curiosity on this score.

I like the idea of Allan, Mina and Orlando and their polyamorous relationship, but whenever we actually see them together they’re just so bickering and annoying that I can’t really stand any of them. It’s disappointing to see we’ve jumped over Janni’s entire life - but I've heard there is a spin-off series about her, so I guess that’s okay.

I think I've fallen out of love with this series. Possibly just me being too thick to get the oh-so clever references. Whatever. ( )
  catfantastic | May 31, 2015 |
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has become a weird time-travelling romp. This one is set in 'swinging' London, so Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius has a bizarre cameo. Mina gets into the groove of the 60s; Allan and Orlando are less enthused. I was amused by the the gritty 70s epilogue, all ashtray grey after the exuberantly colourful pages which went before. ( )
  questbird | Feb 19, 2015 |
I did wonder how Century would play for Moore since the characters he references would still be protected under copyright. Of course, after the magnificent way he handled Black Dossier, often using Kevin O'Neill's art to say volumes as to who the characters are, never mentioning them by full name (or changing the spelling of the name such as Terner), I shouldn't have worried. I loved the parallel story involving Jack Carter, one of my favorite Caine characters, especially since this tale takes place just before the events in Get Carter.

One thing about Moore's work with all the League stories is how much he completely delves into the world he builds around the characters. There are so many references it's enough to drive anyone mad hunting them all down. I wonder if Nevins is tired yet. We have three immortals, one over 3000 while the other two approach their first century, and Mina is completely tired of it. She's been trying to adjust as the times change around her, trying to stay as young as she appears, and it's obviously wearing on her. Having to track down Haddo during all this insanity doesn't help.

Immersed in the drug-fused free love of the late sixties, we get little references to Rosemary's Baby (tied to Haddo, along with a reference to either the Omen or Good Omens, either of which is great), Doctor Who (Mina sees a Dalek amongst multiple other things during a drug trip), even Harry Potter (that one nearly sent me out of my chair, especially what becomes of Mina's new friend Tom, who's middle name is a MARVEL and who's last name is a CONUNDRUM).

This, for me, was a step up from 1910. Can't wait to see how things are resolved in 2009 (even though a friend has already told me a little about it). ( )
2 vote regularguy5mb | Jun 19, 2013 |
Mina gets trendy as Orlando and Alan do not - and they look into the planned ritual of a black magic cult that is using a famous band as a focus.

http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordpress/2011/11/the-league-of-extraordinary-gen... ( )
  BlueTysonSS | Nov 28, 2011 |

BlueTysonSS | Nov 28, 2011 |

Alan Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Neill, KevinIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Chapter two takes place in the psychedelic daze of swinging London during 1969, a place where Tadukic Acid Diethylamide 26 is the drug of choice, and where different underworlds are starting to overlap dangerously. The vicious gangster bosses of London's East End find themselves brought into contact with a counter-culture underground of mystical and medicated flower-children, or amoral pop-stars on the edge of psychological disintegration and developing a taste for Satanism. Alerted to a threat concerning the same magic order that she and her colleagues were investigating during 1910, a thoroughly modern Mina Murray and her dwindling league of comrades attempt to navigate the perilous rapids of London's hippy and criminal subculture. Starting to buckle from the pressures of the twentieth century and the weight of their own endless lives, Mina and her companions must nevertheless prevent the making of a Moonchild that might well turn out to be the Antichrist. -- From amazon.com.… (more)

Knockabout Comics

An edition of this book was published by Knockabout Comics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,501,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible