Once Burned (Night Prince, Book 1) by…

Once Burned (Night Prince, Book 1) (edition 2012)

by Jeaniene Frost

Member:shadiphoenix
Title:Once Burned (Night Prince, Book 1)
Authors:Jeaniene Frost
Info:Avon (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Urban Fantasy, Vampires, Vampires, Vampires

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

I despise the "romance" cover and all tht it implies. These books are better than that with a humor and delight that rises above the old school Harlequin ideals. Especially since, even though the hero is Vlad, the story really follows Leila. If youre a fan of the Cat and Bones stories, but were starting to get a bit tired with them like I was, then this new diversion breathes life back into Frost's Night Huntress World. ( )
  mashiaraqcs | Mar 29, 2016 |
Once Burned is the story of a woman named Leila who touched a downed power line by accident in a storm several years ago and upon waking in the hospital, found that it left her with the power to literally shock or electrocute someone depending on the voltage that happens to be running through her body at the time. She's haunted by having unintentionally killed her mother who tried to help her when she passed out after being shocked by the power line. The power to shock someone also came with the ability to touch an object or person and be able to see their past as well as their future which she generally tries to avoid as she briefly finds herself living that person's life while temporarily seeing their past or future including their pain. Realizing that she can't have a job that's considered normal, she joined a traveling circus and her best friend is a dwarf vampire named Marty.

When she finds herself kidnapped by three vampires, she links with a man who has the ability to control fire and reaches out for help, not knowing that she's connected with Vlad Tepesh, the notorious vampire that Dracula was inspired by though Bram had all wrong. Vlad has the fascinating abilities to control fire, read minds, fly, is very fast, can regenerate and has amazing strength. When he comes to the rescue of Leila, she at first has no idea what she's gotten herself into and just assumes that she's able to walk away. When she finds that she can touch Vlad without hurting him and long exposure to her touch doesn't seem to bother him, she finds herself intrigued while also looking for ways to get back to her life. Vlad whisks her off to his private jet and she at firsts resists going to Romania until she realizes that there isn't a choice and her curiosity wins out.

Leila soon learns that there's an enemy who is willing to do anything to capture her to get to Vlad. Though she's not keen on helping out Vlad at first, she doesn't like being a pawn in someone's game and just wants to get to the bottom of things so she can get back to her work and life that's waiting for her even if it can be a rather lonely existence at times. Vlad is often bossy, frustrating, sending mixed signals but also will do anything to protect his people which Leila can admire to an extent but doesn't appreciate having to be under the rule of someone. Then she finds herself being drawn to the moody Vlad the more time she spends with him and has a night of passion which she thought she'd never be able to experience with a man due to her abilities.

After a still unknown enemy puts Leila in danger and those she has come to care for with a fire at a club one night, she no longer is an unwilling sidekick but wants to get to the bottom of who his enemy is and be done with him. When the identity of this enemy is learned, it sends Vlad for a loop and someone who he thought was long dead is very much alive.

Then Leila finds herself kidnapped yet again while searching for the whereabouts of the enemy who also has her dearest friend Marty held captive and drives her to such a desperation that her powers take on a whole new deadly force. Her kidnappers learn too late that she's a force to be reckoned with and that you should not make a woman who harnesses electricity angry. Then you add in a very angry Vlad who can link to Leila through thoughts and the enemy soon learns that he was way in over his head. Crispy vampires anyone?

I really enjoyed reading this story particularly that it seems to have been inspired by the movie Van Helsing with Jeaniene mentions in her foreword. At times while reading, I was reminded of Beauty and the Beast which is one of my favorite fairy tales and I love reading a variety of different versions. This book had quite the funny moments which I found myself laughing out loud particularly the banter between Vlad and Leila. At times she'd forget that he could hear her thoughts and he was often amused by what she'd often think but not say.

I loved the fact that Leila didn't let what happen to her keep her down and she was a tough woman who refused to be pushed around. She was scarred due to the accident and would often see a variety of different reactions from people to her disfigurement but she chose to ignore that and wasn't offended when people would comment. She chose to turn what was a terrible tragedy into something that she could make a living of and didn't wallow in self pity. Leila is a woman with a big heart who fiercely guards those that she cares for and refused to let Vlad boss her around.

Vlad is a very interesting character though at times he reminds me of a beast. He's formidable, pushy, often grouchy and really isn't a people person. But beneath that gruff exterior, is a man who chose to rise above the tragedies he's faced in his long life and be the protector of those who have been brought under his care. He's drawn to Leila and soon realizes that she's his match in ways that past lovers weren't able to live up to. He's certainly got his hands full and secretly loves the challenges that come with having Leila as a lover.

From the moment I turned to the first page of this book, I was hooked and was eager to see what next would happen particularly between Leila and Vlad. They really are quite the dynamic duo and balance each other out. This was the first book in a new series that I picked up shortly after it came out. I was busy with other books at the time so didn't get a chance to read it until now. Much to my surprise, I found out that there are now two other books in the series and I can't wait to see what next is in store for Leila and Vlad. ( )
  Eire2011 | Mar 11, 2016 |
I'm really a little surprised at myself for reading this. The only other Jeaniene Frost books I've read were the first of the Night Huntress series, and I really didn't care for them. But I found a paperback copy of this at the charity shop for pennies, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Surprisingly I liked it. I especially appreciated Frankie's strong personality. She stood up for herself again and again. Vlad lacked warmth of any sort, but he was supposed to, so it was pretty easy to overlook. Still, this made him a little hard to like. I managed it though. He made a good alpha male. Plus, it would be pretty much impossible to not love Marty and/or at least like Maximus.

I thought it was interesting that Cat and Bones showed up here. I haven't read past book two of the Night Huntress series, but I get the distinct impression that there may be more overlap between these series than I know about. I think that's cool and all, but it leaves me wondering if I'm missing out on something. Is this a spinoff series?

I read a lot and a lot of the books I read come from the Amazon free list. This means that many, if not most of them are from Indie houses or self published authors. When I review them I often feel compelled to mention the editing. Anyone who has read many such books knows that the editing can be hit or miss. Well, I find myself similarly inspired to mention editing here too. These books are published by HarperCollins, a fairly big name publisher. But I noticed a ton of editing mistakes in it. I can't honestly say it was any better edited than some of the good Indie/self published books I've come across. Just one more example of the three publishing methods coming closer together, I suppose.

All in all, this book encouraged me to give the author more attention in the future. Many of the things I previously disliked in her writing (what of it I had read anyway) weren't present here. So I can honestly call this a fun PNR that kept me interested enough to seek out the sequel. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
Leila was struck by lightening as a teenager and now has an electrical problem so can't touch people without giving them a really strong jolt, sometimes strong enough to kill. She also has the ability to learn things about people from the things she touches, often their greatest sin. When a vampire finds out about this he has her kidnapped so he can have her find another. Vlad is the one the other vampire is after and he does rescue Leila and of course they hook up because he can handle her current. This is definitely a two part book, so we have to wait a few months for the next part. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
Vlad- he can take my flying any time anyway ! He shows his arrogant, princely side in this first book in a series based on the sex god of the night himself and some woman, what was her name.... ? LOL Anyway enough about her. Vlad takes on the badness when it comes for him and it comes from a long thought gone source. He travels around wearing sexy well fit clothes, wonderfully sexy jackets, he is a sight to read. [sigh] Let's talk about his power, his very soul radiates power and demand respect. He is Vlad, he is ancient, he fly's, flames and can read your mind. What he can't do is love.
Read it. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |

Jeaniene Frostprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilbert, TaviaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

She's a mortal cursed with dark power....

After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: a terrifying ability to channel electricity and to see a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude ... until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire.

He's the Prince of Night....

Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all - but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him: a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, passion ignites, threatening to consume them. It will take everything they have to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames.

"She's a mortal cursed with dark power... After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: a terrifying ability to channel electricity and to see a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude...until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire... He's the Prince of Night... Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all-but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him-a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, however, passion ignites, threatening to consume them. It will take everything they have to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames"--P. 4 of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 1,062 books! | Top bar: Always visible