A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison

A Perfect Blood (edition 2012)

by Kim Harrison

676None14,115 (4.17)25
Member:eliselb
Title:A Perfect Blood
Authors:Kim Harrison
Info:Harper Voyager (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 560 pages
Rating:****1/2

A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison

A Perfect Blood is the 10th book in The Hollows series by Kim Harrison. I've been gobbling these books up like Thanksgiving dinner since I found the series! I probably should go slower because there are only two more books published in the series, but one is expected to be published next year. I also read somewhere that the series was only going to 13 or so books. (whimper)

Anyway, as always, there's lots of action and excitement. Once again, Rachel is being hunted for something. I know she's the main character in the series, but I'd like to see Ivy or Jenks being hunted as the main story! Still, it was a great storyline that kept me reading way past my bedtime.

Rachel's relationship with Trent is changing and both of them are confused. It's fun to watch them circle each other as they try to figure out what's happening. Since Rachel doesn't have a boyfriend in this book, there's not as much adult material, but she does have some naughty thoughts!

A Perfect Blood lives up to its predecessors in the series. It's smart, funny, exciting, and enjoyable to read! ( )
  NCRainstorm | Mar 24, 2014 |
I didn't like this one quite as much as the last. I'm a sucker for road trip stories so this one didn't grab me as much. Although I like the Rachel and Trent dynamic there was also a little too much mental lusting in this one. I did love Winona and there were some other interesting new players and dynamics. I think it felt a bit like a set up for the next book, with Rachel regaining her magic and getting in touch with Al again. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
The beginning of this book was so slow going that I made up a drinking game:

Drink Whenever:

- You are reminded of something that happened in the past (long series - lot of past events to explain)
- The author uses the word Moulage (WTF Harrison? Word of the day much?)
- Rachel feels guilty
- Rachel whines about her magic (or lack thereof)
- Rachel whines about her friends
- Rachel whines about her love life
- Rachel does something INCREDIBLY STUPID (like forgetting to check her gun is working, or that the guy she knocked out is actually knocked out, or running off on her own, leading to the next point)
- Rachel gets herself captured
- Vampire Pheromones are mentioned
- Rachel worries about Jenks being cold
- Rachel mistrusts the good guy and trusts the bad guy

I could have made a much longer list but by the time I was a quarter through the book I would be Jersey Shore drunk and, while my infant son was sleeping I didn't think he would appreciate waking up to Snookie passed out on the couch muttering "Moulage" over and over.

If you can push through the first half of the book it does get better after Rachel takes off the stupid bracelet and starts listening to Trent. It was a decently enjoyable read but, I didn't see much character growth or story progression. In a series as long running as this, we already know the characters and the world building has already been established. As such, I expect the author to use her 400 pages in order to move the larger storyline along rather than let our characters sit stagnant.
  ZabetReading | Sep 21, 2013 |
3.5 stars

This is not my favorite book in the series. I did enjoy it, but Rachel just has way too much self doubt. I know that is who she is, but it seems to be getting worse not better. I still love Jenks. He is my favorite character in this series. I'm glad to see that he is moving on without Matalina, though you can tell it is hard for him. There is little Al, which is shame, because he is a great character. I find that I'm liking him more and more, especially after this book. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
Rachel Morgan is a Demon. She’s finally accepted it. The problem is that to stay safe from the rest of demonkind after riling them up a tad she has to wear a charmed silver necklace that separates her from her magic.

She’s a Demon, but a magicless Demon. And that’s getting in the way of her doing her job and protecting her friends - especially since she’s never been one to hide in the background. And it couldn’t be a worst time to be magicless, with the anti-Inderlander hate group HAPA now active in Cincinnati and a trail of witch victims being left in their wake. And if she decides to reclaim her magic, exactly how does she placate Algaliarept who has every reason to be rather annoyed with her.

Add in both the IS and the FIB treating her as a very dangerous person, she herself being a prime target for HAPA as well as her changing relationship with Trent and a new bodyguard shipped in by her parents and she has a lot to handle.

We have introduced some brand new concepts and shadow groups into the story now - with both HAPA and The Men Who Did Not Belong. Both are going to be interesting. After all, while HAPA is an outright hate group and certain to be reviled, where do the Men Who Did Not Belong stand? Especially since they’re a large, powerful, dangerous human organisation that seems to lack Inderlanders and feels entitled to police, imprison and even kill Inderlanders at their own discretion. There’s a lot of nuance that needs developing and exploring there - does the IS know? What about the Coven of Ethical Standards? What about the Vampires? I think there are seeds for a lot more plots here with both HAPA and the Men Who Did Not Belong and I’m really curious to see where it goes.

I’m also quite relieved that we had a storyline that revolved around human hatred of Inderlanders, including slurs, attempted genocide and prejudice that, in turn, didn’t invoke actual marginalised groups in the real world or marginalisations at all. Inderlanders were hated, but not oppressed, attacked but not facing a power imbalance. It’s a fine line to draw, but in a genre

However, while these stories are interesting and could have gone somewhere, I also feel they were kind of unnecessary. We have existing plotlines - Ku’sox and Al and her relationship with Trent and her relationship with Ivy and Jenks and her continuing realisation of what it means to be a Demon, trying to find a balance with the Demon World, how other Witches treat her, Rynn Cornel’s wish for her to help vampires keep their soul after death - there was a lot of plot there left hanging and we didn’t really develop any of it - instead we ended up going down these new plot lines instead. And they’re interesting, I’ll look forward to reading them, certainly - but we already had issues pending and I was left with the feeling that not much had happened. I’d just read a 500 page book that can be summed up with “HAPA exists, the Men Who Don’t Belong exist, Rachel took her bracelet off”.

In some ways I feel vaguely frustrated by this book. I knew she’d start with the charmed bracelet but after Pale Demon, when she finally embraced once and for all that she was a Demon, while at the same time laying down the mighty smackdown on all around her, I expected some grade A arsekicking. I expected Rachel Morgan, Demon, laden with a few choice curses (which she would, of course, be in two minds about using) and a whole lot of powerful magic making it clear that, in general, she’s a major power to be reckoned with and respected.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |

Kim Harrisonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the guy who likes remodeling even more than I do
The Woman across from me barely sniffed when I slammed the pen down on the counter.
Plan A it was. Go in brash and come out bashed.

Ritually murdered corpses are appearing across Cincinnati, terrifying amalgams of human and other. Pulled in to help investigate by the I.S. and the FIB, former witch turned day-walking demon Rachel Morgan soon realizes a horrifying truth: a human hate group is trying to create its own demons to destroy all Inderlanders, and to do so, it needs her blood.

She's faced vampires, witches, werewolves, demons, and more, but humanity itself might be her toughest challenge yet.

When she discovers that a would-be creator is determined to make his (or her) own demons and needs her blood, former witch-turned-day-walking-demon Rachel Morgan, a bounty hunter, faces her toughest adversary yet --humanity.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,425,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible