Him Her Him Again The End of Him by Patricia…

Him Her Him Again The End of Him (2007)

by Patricia Marx

I found the protagonist very unlikable. Not particularly funny or insightful. But- god, what a wonderful title. I just wish the book had lived up to it. ( )
  Alidawn | Apr 19, 2016 |
This book was difficult to get into. I realized it was meant to be satire, but the characters were really hard to tolerate. About halfway through the book, the narrator became more interesting and funnier, and the ending was pretty great, so I was glad I stuck around. That being said, my favorite part was the explanation about the typeface used; I laughed out loud. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
O', Darling, Have I Ever Intuited To You That You Fill Me Past Containment With The Most Wondrous Mirth?: This is a really funny novel! Somehow, despite its cutting edge modernity, it reads a lot like those unintentionally humorous old books that were once the very soul of seriousness but which with time became inane. It tells a story of one woman's quest for happiness and perfection in her life, and of the irritatingly awful man who, much to her and our frustration, keeps wrecking it for her, for which she has largely herself to blame. Meeting this screamingly-ridiculous post-grad as a virginal, idealistic student at Cambridge, a never-named American-born heroine is swept away by a charming and pedantic cad, called Eugene, and even after Eugene ends his wordy romance of the woman by wedding the (perhaps psychosomatically) ill Margaret, the woman cannot quite forget the drivel-spouting Eugene, or stop his serial, self-serving invasions of her life over the next decade. Even when she lands a writing job on an SNL-like comedy show is she not invulnerable to Eugene's snicker-worthy wiles.

It's a mistake to dismissively stereotype a book as "chick lit" even if it clearly is. The fact is chick lit has given us some of the funniest and most touching titles in recent decades. Sure in books written primarily for females there is emoting, yes, there is a lot of introspection, certainly, and verily, there are embarrassing moments aplenty, but the good news is, this book, sets them all on their heads with its clever awareness of that. Achieving a rare synthesis of satire and parody and tossing in some good old fashioned hilarity, former Saturday Night Live writer Patricia Marx has cranked out a witty book that made me laugh at least once a chapter. Knowing that true satire tiptoes along a razor's edge on which silliness lies on one side and banality on the other, and that parody, like a delicate hothouse flower that only blossoms in a small temperature range, is easily lost in the effort, Marx treats her tale of a never-named woman who is partly modern and partly old-fashioned, with delicacy that shows.

I thought Him Her Him Again The End Of Him was hilarious and a quality novel, one that should translate perfectly to the big screen, and might I add that Hugh Grant, with the right accent, would be perfect for the part of Eugene.
  lonepalm | Dec 8, 2011 |
Can you love unreservedly a book that enthralls you but falls apart in the final pages? I think you can. You can love it the same way you love your cat who continually butt drags on the beige carpet. The cat is loving, adorable, a delight in every way except that terrible surprise waiting for you when you walk downstairs. It irritates you fiercely when it happens but mostly you recall all the times the beast has made you happy. That’s the approach I am taking with this book: the great fun of the book overwhelmed the unhappy surprise at the end.

Marx’s clever yet sympathetic prose coupled with an appreciation for the absurd gives us a heroine we can both root for and wish we could throttle. Her depiction of the villain in this piece may seem heavy-handed but at the same time portrays perfectly the bafflement others must feel observing any relationships women have with such men. I suspect this book will speak to mostly women of a certain age who have made shockingly dumb decisions in love, but anyone with a love of characters full of self-deprecating humor and wit will find much to love in this book. Read my entire review here: http://ireadeverything.com/him-her-him-again-the-end-of-him-by-patricia-marx/ ( )
  oddbooks | Jan 25, 2011 |
A funny book about one of those relationships where an intelligent woman becomes obsessed with an attractive bastard to a ridiculous degree, but funnier than that sounds. ( )
  annesadleir | Jan 17, 2011 |

A brilliantly funny novel about one woman's hilarious obsession with her narcissistic boyfriend by a former writer for Saturday Night Live.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:28 -0400)

A neurotic Cambridge graduate struggles to cover up her dysfunctional relationship with a narcissistic young man and engages in increasingly absurd lies and acts of self-deception.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,443,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible