The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory

The Boleyn Inheritance (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Philippa Gregory

Member:emcarso1
Title:The Boleyn Inheritance
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Info:Pocket Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory (2006)

English (155)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  English (157)
The Boleyn Inheritance by Phillippa Gregory is another book about the queens of King Henry. I have read several of Phillippa Gregory’s other books with The Other Boleyn Girl as my favorite. This book was specifically about Anne of Cleves, Katherine Howard and Jane Rochford. As is the case with good historical fiction, this book had me craving to know more about these women. The story alternated between the three women living from 1539-1542, only three years. I enjoyed the story and getting to know these women better. Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard were portrayed as very likeable characters. I cannot say the same for Jane Rochford. Overall, an enjoyable read, and piqued my interest to know more. ( )
  sh7980 | Oct 31, 2016 |
First of all, let me start by telling you I am almost as obsessed with Gregory's books as I am with Tudor history - and that's saying something. This is a wonderful book, told in 3 ladies point of view. I was really excited to read this, because I didn't know much about 2 of the 3 ladies. All of that being said, however... as much as I did enjoy this book (and I give it 4 out of 5 stars), I was so disappointed because the story line seems so... simple. I would have thought this was a young adult book, except... it's not a young adult book. I kept waiting for more. I did thoroughly enjoy the portrayal of Anne of Cleves & slightly less so of Lady Jane Rochford, but Katherine Howard... childlike, immature, beautiful, vain Katherine Howard, just drove me nuts. I have never believed her to be as simple as Gregory pictured her.

All in all, I'd recommend to other history buffs, but it's not a book I'd read again.
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
This was an entertaining read. I don't know why I expect Gregory's books to be bodice-ripping trash. This is the third one I have read, and it definitely kept my attention. She is a good writer. Her characters are compelling and she does incorporate many historical elements, so I liked that. I don't know that I would read many of her other books, but this one did not disappoint. ( )
  RojaHorchata | Jul 11, 2016 |
Frankly this book was fascinating. I don't read historical novels so this was a new genre for me. Sure, some of it was invented of course, the author only has so much to go on, but I think she did pretty well with her own inventions blending with historical facts. Thanks to the back of the book, and if you know anything about the history of it at all, you know who will marry who and what will eventually happen. Still, it was not repetitive and the plot was well-paced. Gregory does a good job creating suspense with events when many know what will happen anyway. The blend of religious growths and cycles, political maneuvering, and the inner workings of the kingdom and select group created a dynamic, engrossing story.

I took a brief break from reading it last night to do some research on the wives of Henry VIII, as it spurred my curiosity for what really went down.

At first when reading the book I was annoyed by the often changing of viewpoints, but this became easier in time. All the characters were fascinating in their own ways, and my heart felt more for Anne. They all shared traits, but differences as well, connected to each other in various ways, responsibilities, and betrayals.

I have no idea if Henry was as stated in the book at that time - I imagine much of it is likely. I have to consider too that with how sick he was in the book, and how this was backed up by research when I did it, that it must have played a large part in his growing madness, moodiness, and severe actions. To have your leg slowly rotting for years and the painful things they had to do to it, the gout and chronic constipation, the rotting teeth (yech!), and all the ongoing politics constantly surrounding the kingdom, it's less of a surprise.

There is violence in the book but it's more mentally disturbing than visceral, and there's not much of it. The ending is dramatic and well played, leaving a hollow feeling but sticking as close to the source material as you should.

Again not something I usually read, so I'm delighted it was so engrossing, well-written in a lovely literary style, engaging with plot twists, bizarre hidden layers of people involved, and surprises. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. Poor silly little Kitty. Jane is shown as one of those people who never takes responsibility for what a mess she made of her life.

The author makes Anne`s brother into a horrible person who treats his sister Anne badly. The author`s reasoning is it explains Anne`s willingness to remain in England. Another explanation is Anne realizes Henry would never let here leave England. If she leaves he losescontrol. He could not stop her brother from declaring that the previous wherewithal had been properly ended and since the marriage to Henry was never concentrated Anne is free to marry again. Henry couldn't let her marry and have children with some one else. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jun 3, 2016 |
For Anthony
It is hot today, the wind blows over the flat fields and marshes with the stink of the plague.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074327251X, Paperback)

Three women who share one fate: the Boleyn Inheritance

ANNE OF CLEVES: She runs from her tiny country, her hateful mother, and her abusive brother to a court ruled by the terror of a vengeful king who despises her. Her Boleyn Inheritance: accusations and false witness.

KATHERINE HOWARD: She is in love -- but not with the diseased old man who made her queen and beds her night after night. Her Boleyn Inheritance: the threat of the axe.

JANE ROCHFORD: She is the Boleyn girl whose testimony sent her husband and sister-in-law to their deaths. Throughout Europe, her name is a byword for malice, jealousy, and twisted lust. Her Boleyn Inheritance: a fortune and a title, in exchange for her soul.

The Boleyn Inheritance is a novel drawn tight as a lute string about three women whose positions brought them wealth, admiration, and power as well as deceit, betrayal, and terror. Once again, Philippa Gregory is at her intelligent, page-turning best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:37 -0400)

Three women who share one fate: The Boleyn Inheritance: Anne of Cleves: She runs from her tiny country, her hateful mother, and her abusive brother to a throne whose last three occupants are dead. King Henry VIII, her new husband, instantly dislikes her. Without friends, family, or even an understanding of the language being spoken around her, she must literally save her neck in a court ruled by a deadly game of politics and the terror of an unpredictable and vengeful king. Her Boleyn Inheritance: accusations and false witnesses. Katherine Howard: She catches the king's eye within moments of arriving at court, setting in motion the dreadful machine of politics, intrigue, and treason that she does not understand. She only knows that she is beautiful, that men desire her, that she is young and in love -- but not with the diseased old man who made her queen, beds her night after night, and killed her cousin Anne. Her Boleyn Inheritance: the threat of the axe. Jane Rochford: She is the Boleyn girl whose testimony sent her husband and sister-in-law to their deaths. She is the trusted friend of two threatened queens, the perfectly loyal spy for her uncle, the Duke of Norfolk, and a canny survivor in the murderous court of a most dangerous king. Throughout Europe, her name is a byword for malice, jealousy, and twisted lust. Her Boleyn Inheritance: a fortune and a title, in exchange for her soul. The Boleyn Inheritance is a novel drawn tight as a lute string about a court ruled by the gallows and three women whose positions brought them wealth, admiration, and power as well as deceit, betrayal, and terror. Once again, Philippa Gregory has brought a vanished world to life -- the whisper of a silk skirt on a stone stair, the yellow glow of candlelight illuminating a hastily written note, the murmurs of the crowd gathering on Tower Green below the newly built scaffold. In The Boleyn Inheritance Gregory is at her intelligent and page-turning best.Includes discussion questions.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,613,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible