The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory

The Boleyn Inheritance (original 2006; edition 2008)

by Philippa Gregory

Member:emcarso1
Title:The Boleyn Inheritance
Authors:Philippa Gregory
Info:Pocket Books (2008), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 592 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory (2006)

English (139)  Portuguese (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (141)
Too much repetition and simple characters. On the other hand, I think we all form our ideas of historical characters, making historical fiction difficult to write. As for Jane Boleyn (nee Parker), I think she's on my family tree. ( )
  madamepince | Jul 26, 2014 |
The court of King Henry VIII was a court ruled by fear and abject horror at the time that the German princess, Anne of Cleves arrived to become the fourth wife of the King. Having escaped living life under the thumb of her abusive brother and cold, domineering mother, Anne arrived in England, relieved but hopeful in her marriage to Henry, that she would have a much better life.

Instead of the tall, majestic personage of King Henry VIII - an image which was continually fostered abroad - Anne of Cleves encountered a man for whom she could only feel intense pity and no small measure of revulsion. This was the infamous King Henry VIII - a man whose volatile temper was legendary at court and a man whom Anne of Cleves feared above all others. A King who would eventually come to despise her when she proved unable to conceive a son and heir. Anne of Cleves bore Henry's bitter recriminations, accusations and false witness with as much quiet grace as she could - finally agreeing to grant Henry a divorce.

Katherine Howard was a woman in love - but certainly not with the diseased old man who made her his queen and bedded her night after night. In desperation, and to avoid the constant threat of the axe, Katherine Howard turns for help to Jane Rochford - otherwise known as Jane Boleyn - the Boleyn wife whose testimony sent her husband and sister-in-law to their deaths. In an effort to save their lives, a dangerous and treasonous plan is concocted, but to no avail. Throughout Europe, the name Jane Rochford is synonymous with malice, jealousy and twisted lust - however, her ultimate Boleyn inheritance was a fortune and a title, in exchange for her soul.

I absolutely loved this book. I've always been fascinated by the reign of Henry VIII, and especially the lives of his six wives. The setting of The Boleyn Inheritance really highlighted for me the fear that Henry's subjects lived with constantly and how tyrannical Henry's rule had become. I give this book an A+! Philippa Gregory is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Jul 23, 2014 |
Enjoyable and better than The Virgin's Lover. Here Gregory tells the intertwined tale of Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard but the linchpin is the previously unknown to me Jane Boleyn, sister-in-law of Anne Boleyn. Gregory, in her afterword, calls her an absolute horror but I see her as more morally mixed, trying to survive in the extremely dangerous Tudor world and court. By the end, she is described as twisted and pathetic but the Machievellian Duke of Norfolk seems to come out unscathed from being the architect of all this blood and betrayal. It is also hard to imagine that Katherine Howard is that simple but it is nice to see Anne of Cleves given a sympathetic portryal. Enjoyable and a quick read, despite how thick it is.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
I did not expect to like this book; I thought it was going to be all fluff and steamy romance. I found it to be intriguing, and to be a fictional look into England's Tudor past... ( )
  Dmtcer | Jun 3, 2014 |
I have this love hate relationship with Philippa Gregory's books. In the beginning, I have such a hard time getting into them. There's something about her writing style that I find hard to read. But in the end the fiction she weaves around the strange truths sucks me in.

I found the fact that this was told from 4 points of view hard to follow at first. I was alwasy confused about who was speaking. As the characters grew, it became easier.

All and all, I didn't dislike the book, but I'm not going to start telling people to read it. ( )
  lmm161 | Mar 30, 2014 |
For Anthony
It is hot today, the wind blows over the flat fields and marshes with the stink of the plague.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074327251X, Paperback)

Three women who share one fate: the Boleyn Inheritance

ANNE OF CLEVES: She runs from her tiny country, her hateful mother, and her abusive brother to a court ruled by the terror of a vengeful king who despises her. Her Boleyn Inheritance: accusations and false witness.

KATHERINE HOWARD: She is in love -- but not with the diseased old man who made her queen and beds her night after night. Her Boleyn Inheritance: the threat of the axe.

JANE ROCHFORD: She is the Boleyn girl whose testimony sent her husband and sister-in-law to their deaths. Throughout Europe, her name is a byword for malice, jealousy, and twisted lust. Her Boleyn Inheritance: a fortune and a title, in exchange for her soul.

The Boleyn Inheritance is a novel drawn tight as a lute string about three women whose positions brought them wealth, admiration, and power as well as deceit, betrayal, and terror. Once again, Philippa Gregory is at her intelligent, page-turning best.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:58 -0400)

Three women who share one fate: The Boleyn Inheritance: Anne of Cleves: She runs from her tiny country, her hateful mother, and her abusive brother to a throne whose last three occupants are dead. King Henry VIII, her new husband, instantly dislikes her. Without friends, family, or even an understanding of the language being spoken around her, she must literally save her neck in a court ruled by a deadly game of politics and the terror of an unpredictable and vengeful king. Her Boleyn Inheritance: accusations and false witnesses. Katherine Howard: She catches the king's eye within moments of arriving at court, setting in motion the dreadful machine of politics, intrigue, and treason that she does not understand. She only knows that she is beautiful, that men desire her, that she is young and in love -- but not with the diseased old man who made her queen, beds her night after night, and killed her cousin Anne. Her Boleyn Inheritance: the threat of the axe. Jane Rochford: She is the Boleyn girl whose testimony sent her husband and sister-in-law to their deaths. She is the trusted friend of two threatened queens, the perfectly loyal spy for her uncle, the Duke of Norfolk, and a canny survivor in the murderous court of a most dangerous king. Throughout Europe, her name is a byword for malice, jealousy, and twisted lust. Her Boleyn Inheritance: a fortune and a title, in exchange for her soul. The Boleyn Inheritance is a novel drawn tight as a lute string about a court ruled by the gallows and three women whose positions brought them wealth, admiration, and power as well as deceit, betrayal, and terror. Once again, Philippa Gregory has brought a vanished world to life -- the whisper of a silk skirt on a stone stair, the yellow glow of candlelight illuminating a hastily written note, the murmurs of the crowd gathering on Tower Green below the newly built scaffold. In The Boleyn Inheritance Gregory is at her intelligent and page-turning best.Includes discussion questions.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,962,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible