The Sidewalk Artist: A Novel by Gina…

The Sidewalk Artist: A Novel

by Gina Buonaguro

A love story within a love story intertwined by some of Raphael's art and his personal angels. Novelist Tulia Rose is sent abroad by her boyfriend so they can "work out their relationship". Wandering Paris she meets a sidewalk artist calling himself Raphael. He leads her on an adventure discovering the paintings of his namesake Raphaello Sanzio, which leads her to writing her next book. We read her novel as she writes it and live her life as she is living it. A good book for fans of historical romance with a little art history thrown in for good measure. Note: collaborating authors are both Canadian.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
this was a sweet little book. I loved the parallel story going from the artist Raphaella in the past to Raphael in the present. There was always some mystery concerning what was going on and what was real and what wasn't. ( )
  Smits | Jul 5, 2011 |
This was such a beautiful story that I felt compelled to make a trip to Italy just to try and capture the romance of the place. ( )
  cameling | Jul 5, 2008 |
I arise from dreams of thee
In the first sweet sleep of night,
When the winds are breathing low,
And the stars are shining bright.
-Percy Bysshe Shelley, "The Indian Serenade"

I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.
-Chuang-tzu
For Ajay, Amelia, Austin, David, and Westley
What truly moves Tulia is not the Eiffel Tower or the Notre Dame Cathedral or any of the wonderful sights.

"A fantasia of a double tale skimming through the art capitals of Europe with double muses, double love pursuits, double Raphaels, even double authors, a tale dripping with idealized romantic settings, mystery, art, and a touch of magic, The Sidewalk Artist will keep readers wondering what is real and what is artifice--as fine paintings always do."
--Susan Vreeland, author of Girl in Hyacinth Blue

While in Europe researching her next novel, twenty-something American Tulia Rose falls headlong into a romance with a handsome sidewalk artist. As he takes her on a tour of Europe's artistic treasures, she begins writing the story of the painter Raphael and his secret lover.

Yet as her own affair grows deeper, Tulia's sidewalk artist grows more mysterious. Why does he seem so familiar? And what is his connection to the great Renaissance painter?
Set in Paris and Italy, this lyrical first novel interweaves two parallel love stories, offering readers a unique view on the research and inspiration that goes into creating historical novels such as The Girl with the Pearl Earring and The Birth of Venus.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:49 -0400)

In Europe to research her next novel, Tulia Rose, a young American woman, falls in love with a handsome sidewalk artist who introduces her to Europe's great artistic treasures and inspires her to write the story of the painter Raphael and his secret lover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,396,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible