The Last Wife of Henry VIII by Carolly…

The Last Wife of Henry VIII (2006)

by Carolly Erickson

English (26)  Italian (1)  All (27)
Easy to read & well written...but I swear I've read this before.... but it might have been some other book about Catherine Parr..... After a while they all run together. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
An interesting view of the antics of Henry VIII and each of his wives, from the POV of his last wife (Cat Parr) who was a part of the court from the beginning. Ms. Erickson does a remarkable job in not overly sensationalizing her characters - there was enough drama in the actual story without writing Catherine of Aragon as a saint or Anne Boleyn as a vicious whore/witch the way some authors do - she sticks to what the records shows and includes some opinions of these ladies but writes them as "servants gossip" not fact. I enjoyed it and would recommend it. ( )
  BeckyGraham1016 | Jun 27, 2015 |
Of the three historical romances by Carolly Erickson that I have listened to so far, this one has been the best, but only because the narrator was pretty good.

Once again, the author has main character Catherine Parr doing something I felt was too out of character for her to do, just as she did with Tatiana Romanov in The Tsarina's Daughter, or Josephine Bonaparte in The Secret Life of Josephine.  In this case, it's the idea that Catherine Parr - otherwise presented as a rather intelligent woman - would risk being caught having an affair with Tom Seymour while she was married to Henry VIII, even if Tom was the love of her life.

Unfortunately, nowhere in the audio or print book does Erickson clarify what is fiction and what is not, nor even identify the book as a "historical entertainment" (or what I like to think of as historical romance).

The reader, British actress Terry Donnelly, is a good choice in this case, as the characters in the book are also English, and listening was a pleasure.  However, this was the last audio version of this author's books at my public library, and I don't think I'm going to bother reading any more of Erickson's other books there.

© Amanda Pape - 2015

[This audiobook, and a print copy for reference, were borrowed from and returned to my local public library. This review also appears on Bookin' It.] ( )
1 vote riofriotex | May 8, 2015 |
Too much fiction, not enough historical.
From the very first the book is chronologically inaccurate, and just got more and more unbelievable as it goes along (like her committing adultery with Thomas while being married to the king, and after having witnessed Catherine Howard's beheading)until the last thirty last pages of the novel were just ridiculous. I thought having read one bad book of hers was a real disappointment considering Erickson's ealier works, ut unfortunately it has become a trend. ( )
  TheCelticSelkie | Aug 10, 2014 |
The Last Wife of Henry VIII is the story of Catherine Parr. Catherine's mother had been a lady in waiting to Katherine of Aragon, Henry's first Spanish wife. Catherine herself came to the court as lady in waiting to the wife of Fitzroy, the bastard son of Henry VIII. Catherine was married twice before being commanded to marry Henry VII. She outlived the King and remarried, giving birth to a daughter but dying of child bed fever several days after giving birth. Since I am a Tudor history fan, I found this book heavily fictionalized, in the respect that it did not too often display the accurate relationships that Catherine had with her step-children. All in all, though, I feel it was a time-worthy book. The court intrigue was delicious! ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Mar 15, 2014 |
My earliest memory is of a windswept plain in Flanders called the Golden Valley.

From the bestselling and critically acclaimed author of The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette comes a powerful new novel about Catherine Parr, The Last Wife of Henry VIII

The least known of Henry VIII’s six wives was the cleverest of them all. Alluring, witty, and resourceful, she attracted the king’s lust and, though much in love with the handsome Thomas Seymour, was thrown into the intrigue-filled snakepit of the royal court. While victims of the king’s wrath suffered torture and execution, Catherine withstood the onslaught, even when Henry sought to replace her with wife number seven. She survived her royal husband, and found happiness with Seymour---but it was shadowed by rivalry with the young Princess Elizabeth, whose affection Seymour coveted. Catherine won the contest, but at great cost.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

Presents a fictional portrait of the sixth wife of Henry VIII, Catherine Parr, following this alluring and resourceful woman from the intrigues and perils of Henry's court to her rivalry with Princess Elizabeth for the affections of Thomas Seymour.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,679,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible