The Mephisto Club by Tess Gerritsen

The Mephisto Club (2006)

by Tess Gerritsen

Series: Rizzoli & Isles (6)

Recently added byjenniferpatton, private library, elkiedee, jnetnoe, GillCherry, PRiva, cottageusedbooks, GNUTP, Yammie

English (67)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  All (72)
I was disappointed in this book as it verged into the mystical, and both main characters seemed to be missing their usual consistency and strength. The whole book reminded me of the episode of "Happy Days" where Mork was introduced prior to spinning out "Mork and Mindy". The ending just reads like it's setting up wholly different series and genre. ( )
  Spencer28 | Dec 30, 2017 |
A good Rizzoli and Isles book. It is a crime story with a touch of the supernatural. I have read about these creatures from the old testament before. It is as good a reason as any to explain why some people are so utterly evil and corrupt. It was never explained who Mr. Sansone actually was other than he was rich and had influence over government officials. Enjoyed it. ( )
  scot2 | Sep 18, 2017 |
The weakest of the series so far. I personally didn't care for the satanic/lost scriptures story line. The ending was weak and many plot holes were left unresolved. My recommendation would be to skip this one and move on to the next in the series. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
So, apparently, I've read this before but I have absolutely no memory of having read it. According to my review, I hated it ... like, really, really hated it!!

On this reading of it, I didn't hate it. I found it funny that, to me, it read like an episode of "Bones" ... which, I'm not entirely sure, is not much of a compliment. I really disliked Jane, a lot, and I really felt sorry for the ME. I'm marginally curious how that storyline continues ...

Either way, it wasn't as bad as my first reading of it. I've probably matured ;-)

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Jun 1, 2016 |
Having followed Jane Rizzoli from the beginning of the series, has been
a bit like watching a beloved child mature into an even more beloved adult, as she finds confidence, learns to be a bit less abrasive,

She falls in love with the right guy, and has a baby. Her professional relationship and blossoming personal ties with Maura Isles have also been a delight to witness. Maura herself becomes more intriguing with each new book, and the fact that she has a mother who is the female equivalent of Hannibal Lecter before Thomas Harris lost control of him, is just the icing on the cake. The Mephisto Club is one of the most deliciously creepy books I have read in a long time. I actually found myself shivering a couple of times. The supporting cast of characters is beautifully drawn, from the members of the club to Jane's amazingly dysfunctional family to Maura's forbidden lover.

One of the things at which Tess.Gerritsen has become more adept with each new novel in the series is her ability to inject levity--albeit gallows humor--into the mix, without losing sight of the seriousness of the subject matter. I am greatly looking forward to more Jane and Maura. ( )
1 vote Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I like this book its the only book I've sat down and completed it pulls you from begining to end and dosen't let go I really enjoy this book. At first it seems like the characters do not trust each other but through out the story they learn to. I don't think that Tess Gerritsen could have done any better, if I had too I would read it all over again. I'll be looking for her next books.
added by englishclasslibrary | editThe New Yorker, Majestic .Y (May 24, 2010)

Tess Gerritsenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mazur, KatheNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Safavi, PhilippeTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tissoni, AdriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wit, J.J. deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"And destroy all the spirits of the reprobate,

and the children of the Watchers, because

they have wronged mankind."

--The Book of EnochX:15,

ancient Jewish text, 2nd century B.C.
To Neil and Mary
They looked like the perfect family.
What, you think the Bible tells the whole story?
ISBNs 0739316192, 0739316184, 1846570778, 0739316206 and 0739353977 are abridged (condensed/shortened) audiobooks. Please do not combine with the full-length book since they are not the same work.

Christmas Eve in Boston is no holy night for medical examiner Dr Maura Isles. In a rundown house a woman has been dismembered in an act of carnage that leaves veteran cops in shock. The last person called from the dead girl's phone is Dr Joyce O'Donnell, a celebrity psychiatrist who's made her name defending serial murderers. But there are other clues that make the police wonder if this slaying was part of a Satanic ritual. Drawn on the wall, in blood, are ancient symbols, and a mirror-image word in Latin that, translated, says: "I have sinned." Then a second woman is found butchered on Beacon Hill, just outside the grand residence of Anthony Sansone, a reclusive historian. He is the leader of the Mephisto Club, an old and secret society dedicated to the study of evil, and to confronting it in its purest form. On the door to Sansone's house have been scrawled yet more ancient symbols. Are they clues? Or threats? When the same symbols appear on Maura Isles' door, Maura and Jane must call on the Mephisto Club for assistance. Because this is a form of evil Boston PD has never encountered before. And the only way they can defeat it is by turning to the people who understand the devil himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345477006, Mass Market Paperback)

Evil exists. Evil walks the streets. And evil has spawned a diabolical new disciple in this white-knuckle thriller from New York Times bestselling author Tess Gerritsen.

PECCAVI
The Latin word is scrawled in blood at the scene of a young woman’s brutal murder: I HAVE SINNED. It’s a chilling Christmas greeting for Boston medical examiner Maura Isles and Detective Jane Rizzoli, who swiftly link the victim to controversial celebrity psychiatrist Joyce O’Donnell–Jane’s professional nemesis and member of a sinister cabal called the Mephisto Club.

On top of Beacon Hill, the club’s acolytes devote themselves to the analysis of evil: Can it be explained by science? Does it have a physical presence? Do demons walk the earth? Drawing on a wealth of dark historical data and mysterious religious symbolism, the Mephisto scholars aim to prove a startling theory: that Satan himself exists among us.

With the grisly appearance of a corpse on their doorstep, it’s clear that someone–or something–is indeed prowling the city. The members of the club begin to fear the very subject of their study. Could this maniacal killer be one of their own–or have they inadvertently summoned an evil entity from the darkness?

Delving deep into the most baffling and unusual case of their careers, Maura and Jane embark on a terrifying journey to the very heart of evil, where they encounter a malevolent foe more dangerous than any they have ever faced . . . one whose work is only just beginning.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:33 -0400)

"I have sinned" is written in Latin at the scene of a murder that Boston medical examiner Maura Isles and Detective Jane Rizzoli swiftly link to celebrity psychiatrist Joyce O'Donnell who is a member of the Mephisto Club.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,376,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible