Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess

Such a Pretty Girl (2007)

by Laura Wiess

7203413,063 (3.91)20
    The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams (weener)
    When Daddy Comes Home by Toni Maguire (meggyweg)
    Tomato Girl by Jayne Pupek (marcejewels)
    Bloom by Elizabeth Scott (TrishWalton)
    Crank by Ellen Hopkins (weener)
    weener: For people who enjoy tales of young women facing very serious problems.

Chilling narrative style, and a big hit with my reluctant readers. ( )
  Kaytron | Feb 28, 2017 |
Narrated by Angela Rogers. Fifteen-year-old Meredith dreads the return of her father after three years in jail. She thought she was safe from his sexual abuse but he’s out on good behavior. Her mother is thrilled by his return, excited to have the family together again and dismissing his transgressions as simply mistakes. Only Meredith can see he hasn’t changed. Despite the emotional support she gets from her grandmother; her cop neighbor Nigel; and her boyfriend Andy, another of her father’s victims, Meredith knows only she can be the one to stop her father from preying again and get him put away for a long time. The audio narration reflects Meredith’s deep-seated anger, fear and paranoia. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This was a dark, gut-wrenching book focusing on a horrific issue. Fifteen-year-old Meredith was a very sympathetic character, hard as nails on the outside, but on the inside she was broken, hurting and full of fear. I just wanted to hug her and find a place for her where she felt safe. Her parents, I loathed passionately! Her father, obviously, for his sick abuse, and Meredith's mother for being so shallow and refusing to believe her daughter. When she told Meredith that her father had "just made a mistake" I wanted to slap her, hard!! In fact, the only adults I liked were Nigel, the cop on the case, and her maternal grandmother. At least Meredith's welfare was their number one concern. However, there was something missing in this book. At times I was put off by the revolting creepiness of the father, and I felt that the dialogue didn't always ring true. Also, the ending came abruptly and was just too contrived for my liking. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book was so good I could not put it down. Laura captured Meridith's voice so perfectly. The supporting characters were amazing friends to such a troubled young girl and the ending! Wow!. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
Because of the subject matter Such a Pretty Girl was hard to read and I found myself setting it down to take breathers while reading. I liked Mer and Andy's characters and relationship. I HATED the mother as much as I hated the father. I wish there was some sort of poetic justice that the mother faced along with the father. Overall, the book was well written and although the subject matter is hard to read it's real and raw and left me and meant to leave you feeling uncomfortable. ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Dec 28, 2014 |
To Chet, who made a quiet wish and got way more than he bargained for. I'm so glad.
They promised me 9 years of safety but only gave me three. Today my time ran out.

Haunted by flashbacks, fifteen-year-old Meredith learns that three years in prison has not changed the abusive father who molested her.

Laura Wiess is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,259,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible