Debris [novel] by Jo Anderton

Debris [novel] (edition 2010)

by Jo Anderton (Author)

11610104,032 (3.47)1 / 6
Member:lquilter
Title:Debris [novel]
Authors:Jo Anderton (Author)
Info:Oxford, UK : New York : Angry Robot ; Distributed in the U.S. by Random House, [2011], c2010.
Collections:m-books, R-LQ partly read, Read but unowned, L-unowned
Tags:fiction, novel, SF, female protagonist

Debris by Jo Anderton

I was a little worried that this book might be too shallow, but I actually rather enjoyed it! The only thing I really didn't like was the creepy lover, who seemed bad news to me at once, and towards whom the protagonist seems to feel mostly guilt. Sounds like a good reason to break it of to me... The whole relationship seemed unreal to me in any case. The protagonist didn't seem to be the kind of woman who would get into a relationship that quickly.
But other than that, I was impressed by the main character. Her whole world gets turned around, but she manages fairly well and doesn't give in to despair. That doesn't mean that her decisions are always the greatest: clearly she should have given up on her apartment long before she actually did. But hey, she has been through a lot, she is allowed some leeway when it comes to making rational decisions. So sure, she needs some assistance a few times, but she also develops a new skill, questions the workings of the world and makes new friends. Big pluses for me: she is in her thirties, she is highly educated, and whenever she needs help, it's because she goes from the high end of society to the low, not because she is a woman (and no-one ever implies that that might be the reason). I believe there is one mention somewhere of some profession being more likely held by men than by women, but that's it. I hope Mrs. Anderton keeps this up in the sequel! ( )
  zjakkelien | Jun 16, 2014 |
...Debris has more than a few things going for it. If you like your Fantasy with a twist, or are looking for a book that does things just a bit differently this is probably as good a read as you'll be able to find. It's not a novel of huge complexity or unfathomable depth but it will hold your attention from the first page an not let go until the final chapter has been read. I have some issues with the novel, especially the development of the main character, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I found Debris to be a entertaining read. Not a bad way at all to conclude this year's reading challenge.

Full Random Comments review ( )
  Valashain | Dec 8, 2013 |
As usual, I love the way Angry Robot select the books they publish. Whatever faults each book has, there's something intriguing and worth taking a gamble on at the core. Whatever my doubts about whichever individual book, pretty much all of them are compelling, compulsive reads.

Debris suffered because it felt like set-up, really. It mostly builds a world, establishes the rules, and sets up for the later plot. The main character -- and narrator -- has a lot of setbacks, a bumpy ride down from the heights of society to the lows, and that isn't that compelling a story when you don't sympathise with the character, or understand her. E.g. I knew a certain character was a creep from minute one, and for someone we're told is so gifted and intelligent she takes a long time to grasp what seemed to me obvious.

I've read reviews of this book and the next that suggest the set-up is worth it, so perhaps when I get chance I'll pick up the next book, but I'm not in a hurry. Nonetheless, Debris was easy to read, and the central ideas are intriguing. ( )
  shanaqui | Aug 21, 2013 |
Very good in terms of character-building but a little too light on the world-building.

I’m fascinated by the magic/technology system, yet we’re only starting to understand it at the very end of the novel. I don’t want the pions/debris to be explained in any technical detail – I don’t think there’s any sort of scientific explanation that would hold water, so it’s best not to bother. But I would have liked to have had a bit more of the history of the world; maybe how they discovered pions, or how it came about that using pions has supplanted technology to the degree that pencils are seen as quaint and archaic.

I have a feeling that some of this is going to be covered in the rest of the trilogy, and I’m also aware that the history that the characters are aware of probably isn’t the true history of the world. But even a false or twisted history would have given the book just that tad bit more structure that I think it needs.
  Melanti | Mar 29, 2013 |
This books is, in many ways, difficult to categorize. It's not traditional fantasy, because the setting is futuristic rather than medieval, but it's not really science fiction, because the fantastical elements are more like a magic system than a scientific gadget or principle. It's not really a YA title, but it has many elements usually found in that genre, and is driven by a coming-of-age type character arc. Despite being quite difficult to classify it is an enjoyable book, although not without flaws. I enjoyed Tanyana's development as a person throughout the story - she can be quite frustrating at times, because she is flawed, but her flaws make her more real than many female leads I've read. Her narration (she has a distinctive and enjoyable 'voice') and her growth made this story really worth it for me. The parts that didn't work as well were some of the other characters: Devich was underdeveloped and the resolution to his relationship with Tanyana was (to me) pretty obvious from a long ways off, and the twins, Natasha and Sophia were barely developed at all. Another flaw was that Anderton really needed to give the reader more information about how it all worked - too many things about the world, the history, the mythology, and the pions were thrown at me with no explanation or backing detail, which made it hard to really deeply comprehend what they were about. Still, the world building was fascinating, and I've love to know more about Movoc-under-Keeper. Overall this debut novel was enjoyable, and I'll definitely check out the follow up to see if some of the issues here are resolved. ( )
  alchemie | Sep 5, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 085766154X, Mass Market Paperback)

Tanyana is among the highest ranking in her far-future society – a skilled pionner, able to use a mixture of ritual and innate talent to manipulate the particles that hold all matter together. But an accident brings her life crashing down around her ears. She is cast down amongst the lowest of the low, little more than a garbage collector. But who did this to her, and for what sinister purpose? Her quest to find out will take her to parts of the city she never knew existed, and open the door to a world she could never have imagined.
File Under: Science Fiction [ Meets The Eye | Fantastic Journey | Hidden Powers | Life Meaning ]

e-book ISBN: 9780857661555

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:32 -0400)

After being exposed to radioactive particles as part of a clean-up gang in the depths of space, Tanyana develops an ability to understand the apparently sentient stuff. Powerless, penniless, and scarred, Tanyana must adjust to her new life collecting magical garbage--but she soon realizes this debris is more important than anyone could guess.… (more)

8 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,310,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible