The Shadowed Sun by N. K. Jemisin

The Shadowed Sun

by N. K. Jemisin

Series: Dreamblood (Book 2)

3131735,548 (4.25)1 / 45

The Shadowed Sun is set ten years after The Killing Moon. Each story stands alone, but there’s a larger story arc that ties them together. At the end of the first book, I had felt slightly unsatisfied because things were wrapped up so quickly. It tied up the main plot but left me with a lot of questions about what the repercussions would be. This second book gave me what I had been looking for by showing me what those repercussions were, and by then going on to deal with those repercussions. I felt more satisfied with the ending of this book, particularly in terms of the larger political situation.

The Shadowed Sun focused on a different set of main characters, although some characters from the first book did make an appearance. I won’t mention any names, since that could spoil the first book. I liked most of the main characters in this book, but I think I was slightly more attached to the ones in the first book. Story-wise, this book felt more fleshed out to me, probably in part because it was the longer book, and maybe partly because it had the world-building from the first book to support it. On the other hand, it became more romance-heavy than what I typically prefer toward the second half and I thought that dominated the plot a little too much.

In the end I enjoyed both books about equally, but each had different strengths. It was definitely a great series to end 2016 with, and I look forwarding to trying more of Jemisin’s work at some point in the future. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Dec 31, 2016 |
Another engaging journey into the world of dreams and nightmares. This time the story focused around love growing from distrust, fear and hatred coming from oppression, rebellion and revolution, and growing into one's own power.

Trigger warnings for sexual violence and abusive fathers, which end up being important (and so revisited) parts of the plot. ( )
  chavala | Dec 28, 2016 |
Well-constructed fantasy in the vein of Game of Thrones - political/military power struggles and a priesthood with magical powers and possibly corruption within, a really good engrossing read! Not as original and stunning as her later series, The Broken Earth, but still powerful work and very much worth the read. Everything Jemisin writes is better than whatever came before it! ( )
  KLmesoftly | Jun 12, 2016 |
Absolutely gripping. If anything, an improvement on the wonderful Killing Moon. The new protagonists, esp. Hanani and Wanahomen, are richly characterized and deeply complex in ways that make themselves, each other AND the readers uncomfortable at times. Jemisin has the knack of real-feeling world-building that in no way sacrifices suspense or plot movement; it never feels like an academic treatise or a brain dump of exposition, yet we learn so much about the cultures and peoples herein. The story itself is dark and a bit twisty, without the shocking reversals of the first book but, to my mind, all the more engrossing. ( )
  jenspirko | Apr 15, 2016 |
This is a sequel to The Killing Moon, a fantasy novel featuring a civilization loosely based on that of ancient Egypt, and an interesting dream-based magic system. The Killing Moon was the first of Jemisin's books I'd read, and it left me feeling incredibly impressed by her. I heartily recommend it. It's worth pointing out, by the way, that the first book stands perfectly well on its own, rather than ending on a cliffhanger or with a zillion unresolved threads, the way so many fantasy novels do. So you can check it out without committing yourself to some kind of of giant ongoing series, or even to reading the second book. I do suggest reading that one before this one, though.

Anyway. The plot of this sequel, while decent enough, didn't grip me anywhere near as thoroughly as the first one did. (Although that may in some small part be due to me having let too much time lapse between the books, so that I'd forgotten most of the details of the political situation.) The characters were good, though, and the worldbuilding is fantastic. I really love the complex, deep, nuanced ways in which Jemison explores these people and their societies, and just that would probably be more than enough to make this worth reading all by itself. ( )
  bragan | Apr 4, 2016 |

N. K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yankus, MarcCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the desert

I saw a creature, naked, bestial,

who, squatting upon the ground,

Held his heart in his hands,

And ate of it.

I said, "Is it good, friend?"

"It is bitter—bitter," he answered;

"But I like it

Because it is bitter

And because it is my heart."

—Stephen Crane,

The Black Riders and Other Lines
There were two hundred and fifty-six places where a man could hide within his own flesh.

Gujaareh, the city of dreams, suffers under the imperial rule of the Kisuati Protectorate. A city where the only law was peace now knows violence and oppression. And nightmares: a mysterious and deadly plague haunts the citizens of Gujaareh, dooming the infected to die screaming in their sleep. Trapped between dark dreams and cruel overlords, the people yearn to rise up -- but Gujaareh has known peace for too long.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,243,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible