The Shadowed Sun by N. K. Jemisin

The Shadowed Sun (edition 2012)

by N. K. Jemisin

Info:Orbit (2012), Paperback
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Tags:fantasy, fiction

The Shadowed Sun (Dreamblood) by N. K. Jemisin

10 years after the death of Gujaareh's prince and the rise of the Kisuati Protectorate, a new threat strengthens in the desert.

I cannot believe the talent of this author. She is just incredible. This series is sort of based on Egyptian mythology/history and the research she must have done is mind-boggling. The world building and language invention-simply amazing. One of the best fantasy series I've ever read. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
It took me a while to get into this book, but eventually the characters and their connected struggles drew me in. The magic system in this series is interesting. ( )
  lavaturtle | Mar 7, 2018 |
After The Killing Moon, it was pretty much inevitable that, my aversion to series be damned, I was going to pick up The Shadowed Sun. In fact, I'm currently feeling a little bit guilty that I checked this out at the library and didn't buy a copy of my own.

While I sometimes felt that the writing was a little bit less innovative than in the last volume, ultimately, I loved this one more. A good part of my affection was earned with one of the themes in this book -- a woman's role. In Gujaareh, women are goddesses, but in a familiar, on a pedestal, don't let them get their hands dirty way. Among the Banbarra, clans are held and ruled by women, who hold and manage their clan's wealth. But in the end, both peoples have very narrow conscriptions for what a woman can be, and Hanani, the first female Sharer, on a mission with the Banbarra that she does not understand, fits into none of them.

Hanani's struggle to find her place and her purpose was the most intriguing part of the story to me, though the greater story, that of Gujaareh's attempt to free itself of its Kisuati oppressors, was also quite good. I did sometimes feel that one of the other storylines, of Wanahomen, the exiled prince, was lacking a little something. In the previous book, Wana's father was revealed to be such a monster that Wana's continued reverence for him was often jarring. I wish there had been a little more establishment of Wana's view of both his father and his father's death, to justify his hatred of them men who (admittedly) killed his father to save the lives of thousands.

Still, I wanted a MAP. But still, I am love with this world and need to know if there are more books coming. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |
The Shadowed Sun is set ten years after The Killing Moon. Each story stands alone, but there’s a larger story arc that ties them together. At the end of the first book, I had felt slightly unsatisfied because things were wrapped up so quickly. It tied up the main plot but left me with a lot of questions about what the repercussions would be. This second book gave me what I had been looking for by showing me what those repercussions were, and by then going on to deal with those repercussions. I felt more satisfied with the ending of this book, particularly in terms of the larger political situation.

The Shadowed Sun focused on a different set of main characters, although some characters from the first book did make an appearance. I won’t mention any names, since that could spoil the first book. I liked most of the main characters in this book, but I think I was slightly more attached to the ones in the first book. Story-wise, this book felt more fleshed out to me, probably in part because it was the longer book, and maybe partly because it had the world-building from the first book to support it. On the other hand, it became more romance-heavy than what I typically prefer toward the second half and I thought that dominated the plot a little too much.

In the end I enjoyed both books about equally, but each had different strengths. It was definitely a great series to end 2016 with, and I look forwarding to trying more of Jemisin’s work at some point in the future. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Dec 31, 2016 |
Another engaging journey into the world of dreams and nightmares. This time the story focused around love growing from distrust, fear and hatred coming from oppression, rebellion and revolution, and growing into one's own power.

Trigger warnings for sexual violence and abusive fathers, which end up being important (and so revisited) parts of the plot. ( )
  chavala | Dec 28, 2016 |

N. K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yankus, MarcCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In the desert

I saw a creature, naked, bestial,

who, squatting upon the ground,

Held his heart in his hands,

And ate of it.

I said, "Is it good, friend?"

"It is bitter—bitter," he answered;

"But I like it

Because it is bitter

And because it is my heart."

—Stephen Crane,

The Black Riders and Other Lines
There were two hundred and fifty-six places where a man could hide within his own flesh.

Gujaareh, the city of dreams, suffers under the imperial rule of the Kisuati Protectorate. A city where the only law was peace now knows violence and oppression. And nightmares: a mysterious and deadly plague haunts the citizens of Gujaareh, dooming the infected to die screaming in their sleep. Trapped between dark dreams and cruel overlords, the people yearn to rise up -- but Gujaareh has known peace for too long.… (more)

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,802,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible