King Hugo's Huge Ego by Chris Van Dusen

King Hugo's Huge Ego (edition 2011)

by Chris Van Dusen

Title:King Hugo's Huge Ego
Authors:Chris Van Dusen
Info:Candlewick (2011), Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:K-3, Colors, Pictures, Kings, Sorceress, Ego

King Hugo's Huge Ego by Chris Van Dusen

My absolute favorite picture book......or one of them ;) The story is told in rhyme and an excellent one to talk about character building with. The illustrations are classic Van Dusen which makes it engaging for kids!
  Gabrielle_Stoller | Oct 1, 2016 |
I very much enjoyed King Hugo's Huge Ego! This book is a great way to teach kids about having to big of an ego, and how it can effect you and the people around you. This book tells the story about King Hugo, who has a huge ego! King Hugo thinks he is so great that he makes everyone around him bow down to the floor every time he passes. He also gathers all the village people every Friday morning to listen to him boast about how great he is. One day while out on a ride King Hugo gets into a conflict with a girl named Tessa. Because of how rude and inconsiderate King Hugo is, Tessa casts a spell that makes King Hugos head bigger every-time he talks about himself. Through this experience King Hugo realizes how his attitude needs to change and asks Tessa for help. Although this book is fiction, I think it has many realistic actions that children can learn from. For instance, Hugo's head grows because of how huge his ego is, and it is meant to be taken more literally in this book. But this saying is one we use to describe people who are cocky and conceited because they think that they are better than everyone and everything. I think this could be a good lesson for kids to learn about how having a big ego can get you in bad situations. In this case King Hugo's people did not like him and he had no friends. But at the end of the book, once Hugo realizes that he needs to change, the people around him do to. I also enjoyed the illustrations in the book, they were very detailed and eye catching. This is a book I think I would enjoy reading to my class in the future. It is not only entertaining but provides a good lesson about self representation. ( )
  NihadKased | Sep 14, 2016 |
King Hugo's Huge Head is a book about a King who thinks highly of himself. He thinks so highly of himself that it gets him in trouble! A witch puts a spell on him so that every time he says something that praises himself, his head grows. I would have children between the ages of 4-9 read this book. ( )
  SimoneAlexis | Sep 29, 2014 |
Oh King Hugo, you made me laugh, you made me want to read you out loud to hear the magical lilt of your text audible. I loved every bit of the fifteen minutes I read about you King Hugo, and all the times I have read you since then... you are after all a highly re-readable book.

Guys I know it's not very often I talk about picture books here; and by not very often I mean never, but sometimes you read one and it stands out and begs to be talked about and Hugo is one of those books. The author illustrator is extremely talented and it is incredibly easy to find yourself as an adult enjoying the story of Hugo and his inflating egotistical head. We all know that one guy or gal whose ego surpasses everyone else.

Hugo wakes up every morning and gives a sermon to his people about his awesomeness. They have to go listen because he is the king. Then one day he is driving his cart about the city and asks a woman to move off the road so that he may pass. She declines to move to the muddy side of the road as she is carrying heavy things and needs to get on with her day's work. Hugo merely uses his horse and cart to knock her aside and continues on his way.

What Hugo doesn't realize is the woman he knocked aside is a sorceress and she curses him! Every time the king talks about himself his head grows larger, until one day it is so big and heavy he falls over and begins rolling through the village.

Will King Hugo learn from this curse?

Delightful, funny, and fantastically illustrated I highly recommend King Hugo!
  Bookaliciouspam | Sep 20, 2013 |
Grades K-3

King Hugo may be short in stature, but he has a very over-inflated view of himself. His subjects let him get away with his self-centeredness, but when he tangles with a maiden who's carrying a big load of hay, it's a different story. She's actually a sorceress in disguise, and she puts a Pinocchio-like spell on him: every boast, every inconsiderate act, causes his head to grow a little bigger. Eventually, his head grows to the size of a balloon and a gust of wind sends him floating over his kingdom, landing in a very undignified fashion at the feet of the very maiden who cursed him. She helps him to see the error of his ways in a not-so-gentle fashion, and after he thoroughly repents, the two fall head over heels in love and marry. While the whole "happily ever after" thing wasn't really necessary to the story's message, the rhyming text and hilarious illustrations make this a story that kids will love to hear aloud.
  KimJD | Apr 8, 2013 |

From a master of visual comedy comes the royally satisfying tale of a head swollen out of proportion and a blowhard brought down to earth.

Hugo is a tiny king with a very large ego. But when he mistreats a villager who also happens to be a sorceress, the spell she casts causes his head to literally swell. The more he boasts, the bigger it gets, until it finally topples the mini monarch right off his castle! Who will cut this royal pain down to size? And, more important, will anyone live happily ever after? Chris Van Dusen’s hilarious story is matched only by his outrageous illustrations. Together, they make for a picture book that is sometimes fairy tale, sometimes cautionary tale, and always laugh-out loud funny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:16 -0400)

When haughty King Hugo tangles with a sorceress, she causes him to see himself in a more realistic light.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

King Hugo's Huge Ego by Chris Van Dusen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,790,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible