That Which Should Not Be by Brett J. Talley

That Which Should Not Be

by Brett J. Talley

Great Lovecraftian story! ( )
  J_Colson | Nov 30, 2017 |
That Which Should Not Be is a novel that heavily borrows from the writings of H.P. Lovecraft. Set at Miskatonic University, the hub of all things supernatural and the occult, Carter Weston is given an assignment by his professor, Dr. Thayerson, to retrieve a book that controls the inhuman forces that control the world, the Incedium Maleficarum. When he arrives in Anchorhead, he meets a group of men at a tavern who share their own supernatural stories. They are old tied to the Old Ones, the Elder Gods who once ruled the Earth and await to return one day. These stories are tied into the overall narrative of the story and a plot to resurrect Cthulhu and the lost city of R’yleh.

I have to confess that I’m not much of a fan of H.P. Lovecraft, which is sacrilege in the horror community. However, I am a big fan of Brett Talley, who I consider to be the best up and coming author that the genre has to offer. He managed to spellbind me and enwrap me in a tale in a way that Lovecraft never could. For me, Lovecraft’s failings are due to his arcane language, poor dialogue, unrealistic characters, and stories that all sound the same. This novel suffers from none of these things. The writing is top notch. The characters are well-crafted. The plot was well-designed. For a debut novel, this was a terrific effort and really shows what Talley is capable of producing. Buy this novel. Read this novel. You will not regret it.

Carl Alves – author of Conjesero ( )
  Carl_Alves | Oct 23, 2016 |
Very entertaining! I had no idea really what I was getting into, apparently I need to read some HP Lovecraft, because if this is an homage, then the real thing must be awesome! I am always reading several books at a time, and the book on my hand-me-down old school Kindle (I love you Jan), is typically not the one I keep going back to, as it is filled mostly with free or 99 cent books. The issue I frequently have with those selections, even if the plot is good, is that they lack that particular something that reads "like a real book." Not so in this case, the prose seemed to flow perfectly with the time and atmosphere, with the exception of a few repeated phrases. Early on, it reminded me of Bellman & Black, which I had listened to on audio. At any rate, I won't go on regarding the plot, others cover that, but I will say again that it was a very nice diversion with good suspense, especially if you aren't already familiar with the tales. ( )
  MaureenCean | Apr 9, 2016 |
Three years ago I purchased a copy of That Which Should Not Be by Brett J. Talley and just never got around to reading it. Sometimes my TBR list just gets out of control.

When the publishers of That Which Should Not Be reached out to me about reviewing the sequel, He Who Walks In Shadow, I figured it would be a good idea to read Talley's first foray into the mythos of H.P. Lovecraft.

As much trouble as I've had reading many of the works of H.P. Lovecraft, I found myself easily engrossed in modern day tale of Lovecraftian horror. Talley covers many of the themes found in the writings of Lovecraft with Carter Weston setting out from Miskatonic University on a mission to obtain an ancient book known as the Incendium Maleficarum, a companion to the Necromonicon.

When Carter Weston travels to the port town of Anchorhead he meets four old timers each with a tale of other worldly horrors to tell.

Brilliant at times, solid story-telling, steeped in Lovecraftian mythos, even if the writer takes some liberties here and there, it all results in a hell of a tale.

There were a few times when the story became bogged down, but they were few and far between, and when the story is hitting on all cylinders it's as good as story-telling can be.

Occasionally the writing was downright poetic. "The night was still, dead. People speak of the calm before the storm, but more truly remarkable is the calm after the blizzard. No birds sang, no dogs barked. Silence has a sound, and I heard it that might."

That Which Should Not Be is available as an e-book, paperback, and hardback from JournalStone Publications.

A joy to read for every horror fan. Recommended.

A native of the South, Brett Talley received a philosophy and history degree from the University of Alabama before moving to witch-haunted Massachusetts to attend Harvard Law School. Brett loves every kind of fiction—from horror to literary to historical to sci-fi—as long as there are fantastic characters with a compelling purpose. There's still magic to be found in fiction, the mysterious and the unknown still beckon there, and the light can always triumph over the darkness, no matter how black the night may be. Brett writes when he can, though he spends most of his time working as a lawyer so that he can put food on the table. That is, until the air grows cool and crisp and fall descends. For then it is football time and Brett lives and dies with the Alabama Crimson Tide. ( )
  FrankErrington | Mar 29, 2016 |
Brett J. Talley’s addition to the Lovecraftian Mythos is simply brilliant. A must read for any H. P. Lovecraft fan.

I searched for weeks for a free download of this novel, until I read the author’s website and his response about someone similar searching for a free download. I felt shamed and actually bought the book. It was one of the best investments I have made in a long time, and made me rethink how I support authors. In the future Mr. Talley, you have my money, I just want more stories from you. ( )
  DShaunS | Sep 22, 2015 |

Miskatonic University has a long-whispered reputation of being strongly connected to all things occult and supernatural. From the faculty to the students, the fascination with other-worldly legends and objects runs rampant. So, when Carter Weston’s professor Dr. Thayerson asks him to search a nearby village for a book that is believed to control the inhuman forces that rule the Earth, Incendium Maleficarum, The Inferno of the Witch, the student doesn’t hesitate to begin the quest.

Weston’s journey takes an unexpected turn, however, when he ventures into a tavern in the small town of Anchorhead. Rather than passing the evening as a solitary patron, Weston joins four men who regale him with stories of their personal experiences with forces both preternatural and damned. Two stories hit close to home as they tie the tellers directly to Weston’s current mission.

His unanticipated role as passive listener proves fortuitous, and Weston fulfills his goal. Bringing the book back to Miskatonic, though, proves to be a grave mistake. Quickly, Weston realizes he has played a role in potentially opening the gate between the netherworld and the world of Man. Reversing the course of events means forgetting all he thought he knew about Miskatonic and his professor and embracing an unknown beyond his wildest imagination.

"Miskatonic University has a long-whispered reputation of being strongly connected to all things occult and supernatural. From the faculty to the students, the fascination with other-worldly legends and objects runs rampant. So, when Carter Weston's professor Dr. Thayerson asks him to search a nearby village for a book that is believed to control the inhuman forces that rule the Earth, Incendium Maleficarum, The Inferno of the Witch, the student doesn't hesitate to begin the quest" -- description from p. [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Brett J. Talley's book That Which Should Not Be was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,428,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible