Pleasure for Pleasure by Eloisa James

Pleasure for Pleasure (2006)

by Eloisa James

5191619,506 (3.68)8

Charming and rather witty in places, if a bit scattered. The novel is subversive of the form in some respects. First off, there's three romances, one between the trite but true younger woman and older man (except the younger woman is full figured and plump not a stick, although back then that was actually appealing), one between an older woman, who is not a virgin, and a younger man, and a third between two lesbians - which is subtley referred to, mainly because the author is no doubt aware of who her audience is. We also have a marvelously comical scene where the hero, a reformed rake, is teaching the heroine how to walk seductively, while wearing her pink dress.

The title refers to Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure" but the writer riffs off of Midsummer Night's Dream and Little Women mostly. Saw a lot of references, including quotes from, Midsummer Night's Dream.

The heroine is a bit of a nit-wit, but she is also only 18 and far from worldly, so it is forgiven. The hero, while much older than she is, isn't that much older as far maturity goes - so they are well-matched. There's some lively conversation. But the best romance in the book, is the sub-plot between Griselda (the heroine's chaprone and the hero's sister) and Darlington (a writer of pulp fiction) who is much younger than she is. They have a heated affair and he pursues her until she agrees to marry him. It's a charming romance and I wanted more of it.
The book should have centered on these two - it would have been riskier and less appealing to many of James' readers, who may well prefer the trite but true younger girl, who is a tad wet-behind the ears, and the older rakish guy that seems to be the main course in 95% of the Regency novels. But Griselda and Darlington were a breath of fresh air.

The lesbian romance...gets short shrift. I wouldn't recommend James to non-heterosexuals, her homosexual characters when they pop up are annoyingly cliche and stereotypical. That said, it's admittedly rare we see them at all. James like Heyer, makes me miss Oscar Wilde.

There's two mysteries...I suppose. One about Sylvie and why she doesn't like the hero, which I figured out pretty quickly. And another about who the writer of the risque memoirs is. The memoirs are loosely based on the hero's exploits. It's fairly easy to figure out who is writing them.
I knew 20% into the book.

Overall, a nice romp. Not memorable, but likable for what it purports to be. And more ambitious than most of those books.

cmlloyd67 | Jun 7, 2015 |
What a great story! I laughed and cried many times! Such wonderful writing and really engaging characters!! I love this authors work!!

This was my favorite book of the series!! Who can resist the ugly duckling and the ultimate bad boy pairing up! Hot and steamy too!

I am currently on a Regency kick and this one was terrific!! ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Sweet story about two people finding that what they think is love is only fleeting and that the attraction they have for each other is in fact a deeper love that will satisfy them. Josephine Essex has been labelled as the "Scottish Sausage" because she's not of the ideal size, but she yearns to be liked and loved. She is almost attacked and has to be rescued, she marries in haste, and has no repentage but wonders if her new husband really loves her.

Charming story that I really enjoyed. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Oct 1, 2014 |
headless woman cover
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Could have finished about 50 pages earlier than it did. Mayne and Josie are delightful, but Josie's fat hate and poor self image in this book are not enjoyable and they're a lot of the story. It's a pity that her book is less about the delicious spiky wit and frankness she had in the first three books and more about how much she hates her tits. The book cover illustration is particularly ironic.

My recommendation is don't read this if you have body image issues, it may distress you.

If you do read it, stop when Mayne and Josie consummate their marriage and assume everything ends up fine for everyone with lots of babies.

I could do with a whole book about Sylvie discovering passion in Gemima's arms.

veracite | Apr 6, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060781920, Mass Market Paperback)

Fueled by the knowledge that notoriety is better than failure, witty, unconventional Josie does what no proper young lady should—she challenges fate. She discards her corset and flirts outrageously. She attends the horse races and allows an arrogant rakehell to whisk her behind the stables for a surreptitious kiss . . . and is caught!

She doesn't want to marry the young hellion—but who's to help? Her chaperone keeps disappearing for mysterious appointments; her guardian is on his wedding trip; and his friend the Earl of Mayne is too busy staring into the eyes of his exquisite French fiancÉe.

Can a marriage forced by stuffy convention and unwilling desire become the match of the season?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:26 -0400)

Labeled the "Scottish Sausage" after her first ball, a witty, unconventional Josie is determined to use her newfound notoriety, tempting fate by attending horse races, discarding her corset, and allowing an arrogant rogue to kiss her, until she finds herself trapped in an unwilling betrothal.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,449,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible