Desperate Duchesses by Eloisa James

Desperate Duchesses

by Eloisa James

As promised, I’m on an EJ kick ever since I loved the ‘Seven Minutes in Heaven’ so I’m plowing through all the desperate duchesses and this is the first one in the series. First, I must say that the author took a chance in giving us multiple points of view and some of you will like it and some of you will hate it. As for myself, I’m somewhere in between. I thought it was well done because it introduced us to the future main characters and their personalities and backgrounds, but at times it felt a bit confusing because of the multiple story lines happening all at once.

Which brings me to the main characters of this book, Lady Roberta St. Giles and Damon Reeve, Earl of Gryffyn. I honestly think that the lack of chemistry between the two is due to their story being lost in the shuffle of everyone else vying for attention.

I wished that the romance was moving a bit faster, but I did understand why it didn’t. Our heroine was “in love” for the most part of the book with Duke of Villiers and our poor hero kept chasing her around trying to talk her out of her “obsession” with the duke.

However, regardless of all that, I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Duchess of Beaumont and her husband, Elijah and the Duke of Villier’s intrigued me to no end.

In the end, this is more of an ensemble cast of characters that at times appear that they’re chasing the wrong love interest, and I do recommend it being read before you tackle the rest of the series. It will be less confusing. Trust me.

Melanie for b2b
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
Yeah, I like Eloisa James in general, but I think this is one of her earlier books. It's missing the polish, and... cohesiveness that her later books have. I got about halfway through this one, and just didn't see the point of finishing it. There were so many pov's that I wasn't sure what the main story was even about. Not only that, but I didn't particularly care about anyone's story because I didn't like any of the characters. The time period isn't my favorite either, but I could have gotten past that if the story was better.

Anyway, going to skip the rest of this series since the other one I read ([b:A Duke of Her Own|6049962|A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses, #6)|Eloisa James|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1305075069s/6049962.jpg|6225596]) I wasn't too crazy about either, so... ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
eh, 2 1/2 stars really. the characters i like the most were not the main characters. the couples are all connected though. and they all flirt/make out/get engaged/or more with other folks than the one they will end up with which annoys me greatly. is skimmed the second one and the same thing happens and for some reason the main romance is not a couple from this book. sigh. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 17, 2016 |
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |
Knowing precisely why no one wants to marry you is slim consolation for the truth of it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060781939, Mass Market Paperback)

Welcome to a world of reckless sensuality and glittering sophistication . . . of dangerously handsome gentlemen and young ladies longing to gain a title . . . of games played for high stakes, including—on occasion—a lady's virtue.

A marquess's sheltered only daughter, Lady Roberta St. Giles falls in love with a man she glimpses across a crowded ballroom: a duke, a game player of consummate skill, a notorious rakehell who shows no interest in marriage—until he lays eyes on Roberta.

Yet the Earl of Gryffyn knows too well that the price required to gain a coronet is often too high. Damon Reeve, the earl, is determined to protect the exquisite Roberta from chasing after the wrong destiny.

Can Damon entice her into a high-stakes game of his own, even if his heart is likely to be lost in the venture?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:33 -0400)

When Lady Roberta St. Giles, a marquess's sheltered only daughter, gambles on love with notorious scoundrel Damon Reeve, the Earl of Gryffyn, she plays a high-stakes game of seduction and passion where the winner takes all.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,935,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible