A Promise for Tomorrow by Judith Pella

A Promise for Tomorrow

by Judith Pella, Tracie Peterson (Author)

1175103,116 (4)None

This is the third and final story in this series and the authors ended it well, with a hint of more to come (which you will find in the "Ribbons West" series). This is a historical fiction taking place in the mid 1800s. This story takes place when the railroads were being built and a lot of this story is based upon what is happening with the railroad progression.

Any story that makes you laugh, cry, get angry, or causes any other emotion while reading it, makes you feel like the author did their job. In this story I felt a lot of anger at certain individuals and wanted to hug and encourage others.

Carolina and James Baldwin are now married and starting their family. But Carolina is determined to keep them together as a family, so she convinces James to pack up their family and follow him to a rural town in the Allegheny Mountains while James works on the Kingwood Tunnel for the B&O Railroad. There you will experience the highs and lows of the family as their family grows, love blossoms and Carolina and James come to understand one another even more. Carolina will have to go back home to where she grew up, to Oakbridge Plantation, and face some challenges there with her loved ones. It is a time of unrest and a time of growth and through it all there is always a "Promise for Tomorrow". A series I am glad I took the time to read as they were full of history, but also of love and real struggles that people would have to face in that day and age. I will look forward to following this family in the next series of books, called "The Ribbon West" series. ( )
  judyg54 | Feb 18, 2015 |
I kept picking this book up and putting it down, picking it up and putting it down. For weeks, actually. At one point I even skimmed it, reading pages at a time, from start to finish, trying to find something to pull me in, but it actually had the opposite effect. I realized so much time had passed in between the last book and this book. Obviously the author felt that the story had been well enough resolved as well, and had moved forward to find a new plot. But I just wasn't into it anymore. And I really didn't want to hear anything more about railroads.
  lyssa73 | Aug 2, 2014 |
Third book in the Ribbons of Steel historical fiction series highlighting both the expansion of railroads to the near west in the early 1800s and the developing issues surrounding slavery in the south. The Adams family, protagonists in the story, are plantation owners, and middle daughter Carolina is the main character highlighted throughout the three book series. I'm rating the series as a whole because it is difficult to read the first book without wanting to find out what happens to Carolina and her siblings and parents. As with other series by these two authors there are definite villains in this series who are either redeemed or receive their comeuppance before the series ends. I enjoyed it, but one must like historical fiction in order to truly like these books. ( )
  SherylHendrix | May 28, 2014 |
Challenges await Carolina and her young family as she steps out of her comfort zone again in book 3 of the Ribbons of Steel series. As with the first 2 books, the authors delve deep into the character's psyche and fill the book with historical detail. While spirituality is a theme throughout the books, it is not gratuitous and continues to allow us to see what motivates and provides us with a deeper understanding of what drives their choices. ( )
  sunnydrk | Nov 17, 2013 |
  cherryblossommj | May 28, 2013 |

Judith Pellaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Peterson, TracieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Carolina and James Baldwin's wedding had been the happiest day of their lives, but now family problems and the ever-increasing demands of the B&O railroad are combining to challenge the newlyweds' continued happiness. When James' father desperately needs their help, Carolina struggles to forgive her father-in-law for past wrongs, driving a deep emotional wedge between the young couple.

James is assigned to supervise the building of the distant Kingwood Tunnel, and he and Carolina decide to move their growing family from the comforts of their home in Baltimore to a small rural town in the Allegheny Mountains. No longer do they have to endure being separated, but soon the pitiful living conditions take their toll, and complications from both the severe weather and the escalating tensions among the Irish railroad workers conspire against them.

A young Irish worker, Kiernan O'Connor, befriends the Baldwins, despite the protests of his brother. Young Victoria, Carolina's stepdaughter, is enthralled with the gentle, handsome Kiernan, but will the upper-class Baldwins ever consider him a proper suitor for their daughter? And will their friendship prevent James from stopping Kiernan's brother from carrying out his destructive plans before it's too late?

In the 1840s Carolina and James Baldwin face the struggles of family life in western Virginia, where James supervises the construction of the B & O Railroad through the Allegheny Mountains.

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,542,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible