A Proper Companion by Candice Hern

A Proper Companion

by Candice Hern

Emily Townsend is the paid companion of the dowager Countess Bradleigh. When the dowager's grandson, the Earl of Bradleigh, announces his engagement, the Countess sweeps her household to London to get a good look at the girl. There she finds that Bradleigh is planning on marrying for an heir, not because he has any real affection for his fiancée. To his surprise, the more time he spends with his grandmother's companion Emily, the more he feels for her--and he begins to suspect his engagement is a terrible mistake. Emily, meanwhile, has more suitors than she'd ever dreamed of and a scheming pair of relatives to deal with besides. Her cousin inevitably kidnaps her, Bradleigh goes to rescue her, in so doing sundering his engagement, and they all pair off and live happily ever after.

Workmanlike. There's nothing here I objected to, but also nothing I was excited by. It feels written by rote. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
This is a nice little story, but it seemed like a long short story rather than a novel. Candace Hern writes very well, and she presents interesting and entertaining characters, some of them very funny. I just wish she would flesh out the plot a bit more. (I suppose for 99 cents on Amazon, I really shouldn't ask for more, but I think she's truly talented.)

I notice that several reviewers express relief that her novels are so "clean," but I wish they were a bit hotter myself. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
I wasn't a big fan of this book. It was predictable and the characters were very bland and boring. It wasn't the worst book I've read, but it was far from the best. ( )
  snitchbitch | Sep 10, 2013 |
Completely unremarkable. ( )
  Ridley_ | Apr 1, 2013 |
Who came up with that cover?! Awful. The book is very sweet and romantic. ( )
  athena33 | Dec 19, 2012 |
London, June 1785

Whose is it?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515115266, Mass Market Paperback)

Robert, the Earl of Bradleigh, is engaged to an unlikable woman when his grandmother decides he should find a husband for Emily, her paid companion--but the more Robert learns about Emily, the more he wants her himself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:07 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,111,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible