Blue Nights by Joan Didion

Blue Nights

by Joan Didion

English (39)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (41)
I was hoping I would really like this book but I just could never get into it. It was confusing and seemed to jump around. It never grabbed my attention and I was a captive audience in the car. Sorry, just could not finish this book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Joan Didion’s ‘Blue Nights” is a well-crafted memoir about the loss of her daughter Quintana Roo. In typical Didion fashion each word, each sentence, each thought is carefully crafted into beautifully written prose that takes the reader into the emotion of the moment.

A great read for anyone who has ever lost a parent or a child.

“Like when someone dies, don’t dwell on it.”

This is written throughout the memoir. People always tell those of us who’ve lost someone that time will heal. Remember the good things. Keep busy, stay moving. Don’t dwell on the dead, live among the living.

As someone whose lost both her parents, my mother when I was 14 to cancer and my father when I was 20 to a heart attack, I found reading both the Year of Magical Thinking and Blue Nights comforting. Didion’s thoughts and emotions about losing her husband and then her daughter are similar to what I experienced in losing my mother and then my father. ( )
  TamaraJCollins | Mar 10, 2016 |

A great read for anyone who has ever lost a parent or a child.

“Like when someone dies, don’t dwell on it.”

TamaraJCollins | Mar 10, 2016 |
Blue Nights by Joan Didion
188 pages

★★★

Joan Didion is the author of The Year of Magical Thinking and shortly after THAT book was published, the author would tragically lose her daughter. This book, Blue Nights, follows the author’s life with her daughter and her struggle dealing with her death.

If you enjoy Magical Thinking, this one reads much like this. She can be disjointed at times but I do feel, in a rarity, the disjointed writing can add to the feel – it ends up feeling like you’re reading a private journal. However, sometimes she almost went TOO much off course of the point and I had to be really patient until we got back to the point. Overall, I didn’t enjoy this one as well Magical Thinking but it was still sweet and heart-felt. It was short (188 pages) and I finished it quickly. Recommended if liked her previous work, in fact best to read Magical Thinking first as it goes much more deeply into her daughter’s illness before the death. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
I think I may have liked this even better than "The Year of Magical Thinking." Both stark, fearless meditations on mortality, Magical Thinking talked about the death of her husband, and this one talks about the death of her adopted daughter. It includes passages like this: "In theory these mementos serve to bring back the moment. In fact they serve only to make clear how inadequately I appreciated the moment when it was here. How inadequately I appreciated the moment when it was here is something else I could never afford to see." 'Nuff said. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book is for Quintana
In certain latitudes there comes a span of time approaching and following the summer solstice, some weeks in all, when the twilights turn long and blue.

From one of our most powerful writers, a work of stunning frankness about losing a daughter. Richly textured with bits of her own childhood and married life with her husband, John Gregory Dunne, and daughter, Quintana Roo, this new book by Joan Didion examines her thoughts, fears, and doubts regarding having children, illness, and growing old.

Blue Nights opens on July 26, 2010, as Didion thinks back to Quintana’s wedding in New York seven years before. Today would be her wedding anniversary. This fact triggers vivid snapshots of Quintana’s childhood—in Malibu, in Brentwood, at school in Holmby Hills. Reflecting on her daughter but also on her role as a parent, Didion asks the candid questions any parent might about how she feels she failed either because cues were not taken or perhaps displaced. “How could I have missed what was clearly there to be seen?” Finally, perhaps we all remain unknown to each other. Seamlessly woven in are incidents Didion sees as underscoring her own age, something she finds hard to acknowledge, much less accept.

Blue Nights—the long, light evening hours that signal the summer solstice, “the opposite of the dying of the brightness, but also its warning”—like The Year of Magical Thinking before it, is an iconic book of incisive and electric honesty, haunting and profoundly moving.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:20 -0400)

Shares the author's frank observations about her daughter as well as her own thoughts and fears about having children and growing old, in a personal account that discusses her daughter's wedding and her feelings of failure as a parent.

182 wanted7 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,387,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible