MWF seeking BFF : my yearlong search for a…

MWF seeking BFF : my yearlong search for a new best friend (edition 2011)

by Rachel Bertsche (Author)

Member:tjsjohanna
Title:MWF seeking BFF : my yearlong search for a new best friend
Authors:Rachel Bertsche (Author)
Info:New York : Ballantine Trade Paperbacks, 2011.
Collections:Read but unowned, Non-Fiction, Favorites
Tags:g:memoir, friendship, making friends

MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search for a New Best Friend by Rachel Bertsche

After moving to Chicago to be with her boyfriend, Rachel Bertsche found herself missing the close friendships she’d had in NYC. She bravely and ambitiously decides to take things into her own hands and invite other women to go on 52 friends dates during the 52 weeks of the coming year.

As you may have noticed, I almost always enjoy humorous memoirs, stunt memoirs, and memoirs by working women. Since MWF Seeking BFF is all three, it was a book I knew I had to read. Luckily for me, it turned out to be just as good as I expected! The author’s writing style was very funny and down-to-earth. Her stories were very relatable. The number of girls Rachel met meant that names quickly became jumbled together for me. I was about to just give up on remembering who was who when I noticed… there’s a friend glossary in the back! Brilliant.

It made me happy that a book on this topic even exists. I feel like it’s almost a secret that grown-ups keep that it’s so much harder to find friends when you’re out of college and not living near tons of people your age. Getting some advice on how to deal with this was spectacular. Not only did the book include some great advice, it included both research to back it up and many personal anecdotes to keep it interesting. I would recommend this to any young women just finishing college or starting out in a new place. The author is so personable and told such relatable stories, you’ll feel less alone just reading it and on top of that, I think the author’s advice could be truly helpful.

This review first published on Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
20-something career woman moves to Chicago to get married. Although she loves her husband and her job, she misses her girlfriends. She sets off to find a new BFF by going on one girl-date a week and blogging about it. She jumps back and forth between her experiences, conversations with her husband, and tidbits of research she uncovered on the topic of friendship.

I Pearl-ruled this one at page 54, then skipped to the end to see if she found a friend. The premise has the potential to be a fun read, but MWF Seeking BFF lacks charm and humour. I found the author to be whiny and judgmental, and the rules she set up for herself, her expectations, and her anxieties all seemed very middle-school. But what really tanked this book for me is that she just wasn't an interesting person.

Recommended for: obviously I don't recommend it, but if you are a vacuous and shallow 20-something year old you might relate to this narrator better than I did. ( )
2 vote Nickelini | May 17, 2014 |
Too analytical; not enough story and heart. ( )
  cherilove | Feb 25, 2014 |
I tried, I really wanted to like this, but I bailed after 64 pages. It had promise, but there's no flow. Dates merge into discussion of random articles. I hope she found her BFF, but I think she was trying too hard. Probably worked well as a blog in small bites, but not a full length book. ( )
  skinglist | Jul 16, 2013 |
This book really did elaborate on 52 friend dates, but it was much less boring than it sounds. I learned a few things and was reminded quite a few times to be more outgoing and friendly because people will most likely be receptive. ( )
  heike6 | May 2, 2013 |
For Matthew and in Mormory of my Father, Bill Bertsche
I've known my two best friends since I was 10 and 14.

When Rachel Bertsche first moves to Chicago, she’s thrilled to finally share a zip code, let alone an apartment, with her boyfriend. But shortly after getting married, Bertsche realizes that her new life is missing one thing: friends. Sure, she has plenty of BFFs—in New York and San Francisco and Boston and Washington, D.C. Still, in her adopted hometown, there’s no one to call at the last minute for girl talk over brunch or a reality-TV marathon over a bottle of wine. Taking matters into her own hands, Bertsche develops a plan: She’ll go on fifty-two friend-dates, one per week for a year, in hopes of meeting her new Best Friend Forever.

In her thought-provoking, uproarious memoir, Bertsche blends the story of her girl-dates (whom she meets everywhere from improv class to friend rental websites) with the latest social research to examine how difficult—and hilariously awkward—it is to make new friends as an adult. In a time when women will happily announce they need a man but are embarrassed to admit they need a BFF, Bertsche uncovers the reality that no matter how great your love life is, you’ve gotta have friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:35 -0400)

When Bertsche first moves to Chicago, she realizes that her new life is missing one thing: friends. She goes on fifty-two friend-dates, one per week for a year, in hopes of meeting her new Best Friend Forever.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible