Taken by Robert Crais
Recently added bytcards, juliecheri, private library, Hardboiled, TomCrowley3, TomCrowley, StElizMH

Not his best book. I read them all dutifully in hardcover, as soon as my mom finishes with them. I always enjoy them and this was no exception, but he may have phoned this one in a little.

I don't really understand why he chose to tell it out of chronological order, maybe it built suspense better that way?

I will say that I enjoy having both Pike and Elvis figure prominently in the narrative, with chapters from each of their points of view. ( )
  keneumey | Jun 4, 2014 |
Pretty good thriller, not much of a mystery. I found that the multiple viewpoints added to the suspense but thinned out the character depth. Found the AG Mother mostly a distraction. ( )
  MichaelKelberer | Aug 21, 2013 |
Everything was good except the format. It just didn't work. It was distracting and made it hard to read. I finally gave up and read all the kids'part, Elvis' part and then all Pikes.

The first time ever I have given a 2 to Mr. Crais. ( )
  pjh1984 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Elvis Cole along with Joe Pike and Jon Stone go head to head with kidnappers from the US-Mexico border. Exciting book. ( )
  jsharpmd | Oct 22, 2012 |
Nita Morales hires Elvis Cole, the best detective in the world according to a recent magazine article, to find her daughter. She believes Krista has run off with her boyfriend, possibly to get married. Elvis tracks the two young adults to an old plane crash "hang out." When he finds evidence of shooting, several cars and other people in the area, he calls his best friend Pike to help. Pike is a man of few words, but he is one of the best trackers in the world. Elvis and Pike stumble upon a human trafficking ring and bajadores, bandits who steal the border-crossers from the coyotes and then ransom them to their families who have already paid to get them to the States.

The book takes place over a week or so and the chapters jump around to different time periods within the week. That was confusing to me at first. The book is narrated in the first person by Elvis, but is told from other characters' points of view as well. It's fast paced with plenty of action.

It took me a while to get used to Luke Daniels' narration. His voice for Elvis seemed a little light and young. However, he did so well with the other voices that I ended up liking him. ( )
  bohemiangirl35 | Oct 6, 2012 |
Cut you,
I bleed.
Our name is love. - Tattooed Beach Sluts
Jiminy Cricket: Hey, where ya going'?
Pinocchio: I'm going to find him!
for Aaron Priest more than an agent my good and trusted friend with love
Jack Berman wrapped his arms around his girlfriend, Krista Morales, and watched his breath fog in the cold desert air.

Hired along with Joe Pike to investigate the alleged kidnapping of a wealthy industrialist's son, Elvis Cole goes undercover to infiltrate a ring of professional border kidnappers only to be abducted himself.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible