Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria…

Where'd You Go, Bernadette (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Maria Semple

Member:CptKirk
Title:Where'd You Go, Bernadette
Authors:Maria Semple
Info:W&N (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Seattle, Antartica, families

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (2012)

Microserfs by Douglas Coupland (cransell)
    cransell: Two fictional looks at working at Microsoft.
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though Sweetness is more of a traditional mystery, it shares with Where'd You Go, Bernadette an endearing, precocious, and entertaining young narrator who pieces together clues from the adult world to solve a mystery. Character interactions are delightfully, humorously depicted.… (more)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LBV123)
    LBV123: Rifka Brunt's novel similarly traces a complicated family history and the story of a complicated mother with artistic tendencies, and features an interesting and complicated teenaged narrator. While not as openly chasing the laughs as Semple's novel, Tell the Wolves is nonetheless humorous in its depiction of family politics--and deeply touching as it deals with both love and loss.… (more)
    This Book Will Save Your Life by A. M. Homes (lizchris)
    lizchris: About the madness of west coast America
    The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson (cransell)
    cransell: Both quirky, humorous reads.
    Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell (kiwiflowa)
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (lycomayflower)

English (252)  Danish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (255)
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Sep 1, 2015 |
I'm afraid this pushed all my ick buttons; mentally unstable mother, extremely immature daughter, wildly impossible plot elements to resolve mother/daughter issues, written in letters and e-mails.That being said, I found it kinda compulsively readable and hard to put down. But at the end I was just irritated at the whole premise and hated every single character and the writing style. We'll see what other bookclubbers think.
  amyem58 | Aug 27, 2015 |
This was a curious novel. I have to admit Semple had me wondering what she was about by making all her characters such…characters. That is, there was nothing to hold onto when it came to a center, except perhaps the teen, Bee, (full name Balakrishna, or "divine child"). But just as in days when authors wrote satires that did not contain people so close to how we live now (I am thinking of the 20th Century Russians who were so cruelly censored), this is screamin' crazy satire.

Bernadette is an architect who stopped working when she ran afoul of a neighbor, a wealthy entrepreneur with questionable taste, who tore down a Bernadette house that helped her win a MacArthur Award for ingenuity and resourcefulness. The neighbor did it out of pique. Semple describes for us how this could be. No one comes out looking fair or lovely.

Bernadette worked with materials that would probably be rejected by other architects. They might be used, defective, items of trash, but she gave everything a new life in a work of architectural art. “Bernadette Fox is a very feminine architect. When you walk into Beeber Bifocal, you’re overwhelmed by the care and the patience that was put into it. It’s like walking into a big hug.”
I know the kind of mindset and patience it takes to create art from what others would term “nothing.” So I get where she is coming from. Where I got confused was her outsized sense of rightness and privilege. At one point she told her daughter who that boredom is something she needed to fix by herself. Then she falls for the same trap, later telling her daughter “the banality of life” can sometimes be overwhelming. Bernadette forgets sometimes that she is not the font of all wisdom. I guess the point is that there is movement in this book. Characters have moments of crisis, and must resolve them in order to continue living.

But truthfully, I almost didn’t get to the end of this novel. It was amusing at first, until it began to chafe. There is nothing wrong with having a moral point in a novel, but we were clobbered with this one. Everyone had some schtick that made them hard to take, except Bee, and she had learned from her parents, so a few times was a little harsher than she needed to be while pushing her own point of view. Was this Semple’s point? That adults can be jerks, and children will get there someday? Clever, but I could have done without the sarcasm.

This book had been recommended to me, so it has been on my list. When I found an audiofile available, I grabbed it. Usually I also order the hard copy to clarify points when I want to write a review. My library, however, had all their numerous copies out for YA “summer reading.” Interesting. I would never have chosen this title for high school summer reading. If the kids get to the end, when everybody starts to realize they need each other in order to be whole, they have spent many hours immersed in severe dysfunctional behaviors. I’m not at all sure we need to confirm their suspicions that adults are creeps, considering how far the teens have to go before they are perfect.

Anyway, I did finish. Semple is tough. At this point in the review I realize that Semple may be writing for teens after all. I still wouldn’t have chosen this title for summer reading. I would choose something that gives glamour to language. But there you have it. I’m not the font of all wisdom, either.
1 vote bowedbookshelf | Aug 25, 2015 |
A funny story, but also very sad. Bernadette is a brilliant architect who has serious social issues. She does not like to leave her house, she does not get along with anyone except her daughter Bee. The family is living in an old girl's school in Seattle. The house is in serious disrepair. The roof leaks, blackberry vines are growing in the basement and up through the floor. Bee is very smart and because she has done so well at school, she has been promised a special gift, whatever she wants. She wants to go to Antarctica. Bernadette gets on board and contacts "Manjula" her internet admin to help her get things in order. It turns out Manjula is not who she says she is, Elgie, Bernadette's husband is concerned about her and orchestrates an intervention and Bernadette disappears. A story that keeps moving and entertains. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Aug 18, 2015 |
Four stars because it made me laugh! When I found out that the author wrote for Arrested Development and for the sitcom Ellen, I appreciated the format even more. I could just see the characters looking into the TV cameras and telling their stories about Bernadette. Talking about it at Book CLub made it even more fun. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
The book stumbles a bit in the middle as it transitions from a scathing anti-Seattle manifesto into a family drama with comic undertones. But once the gears have finished their grinding and the shuddering subsides, Semple eases into her strongest work yet, allowing her characters to change in a way that suits the story, and not just shooting for an easy punch line or a sharply worded barb. In the end, with its big heart set on acceptance, Bernadette feels something like coming home.
added by Nickelini | editthe Stranger, Paul Constant (Aug 12, 2012)

The tightly constructed “Where’d You Go, Bernadette” is written in many formats — e-mails, letters, F.B.I. documents, correspondence with a psychiatrist and even an emergency-room bill for a run-in between Bernadette and Audrey. Yet these pieces are strung together so wittily that Ms. Semple’s storytelling is always front and center, in sharp focus. You could stop and pay attention to how apt each new format is, how rarely she repeats herself and how imaginatively she unveils every bit of information. But you would have to stop laughing first.
added by ozzer | editNY Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 6, 2012)

Semple is a TV comedy writer, and the pleasures of Where'd You Go, Bernadette are the pleasures of the best American TV: plot, wit and heart. (There are places where Semple really wants to be writing dialogue, and stretches the epistolary conceit of the novel to suit.) It's rather refreshing to find a female misunderstood genius at the heart of a book, and a mother-daughter relationship characterised by unadulterated mutual affection. If Bernadette is a monster of ego, Semple suggests, so are most people, when they're being honest. In her spiky but essentially feelgood universe, failure and self-exposure open up a rich seam of comedy, but shame can always be vanquished by love

Maria Sempleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leiva Morales, ÁngelesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilhoite, KathleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Xie, JingwenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Poppy Meyer
Monday, November 15: Galer Street School is a place where compassion, academics, and global connectitude join together to create civic-minded citizens of a sustainable and diverse planet.
The first annoying thing is when I ask Dad what he thinks happened to Mom, he always says, "What's most important is for you to understand it's not your fault."

When Bee aces her report card she claims her reward, which is a trip to Antarctica, but her mother, Bernadette, disappears due to her intensifying allergy to Seattle and people in general, which has made her so agoraphobic that a virtual assistant in India now runs her most basic errands and Bee uses emails, invoices, school memos, private correspondence, and other evidence to try and understand why her mother has left.

When her notorious, hilarious, volatile, talented, troubled, and agoraphobic mother goes missing, teenage Bee begins a trip that takes her to the ends of the earth to find her.

Maria Semple is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,150,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible