Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria…

Where'd You Go, Bernadette (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Maria Semple

Title:Where'd You Go, Bernadette
Authors:Maria Semple
Info:Large Print Press (2013), Paperback, 487 pages

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple (2012)

Microserfs by Douglas Coupland (cransell)
    cransell: Two fictional looks at working at Microsoft.
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Though Sweetness is more of a traditional mystery, it shares with Where'd You Go, Bernadette an endearing, precocious, and entertaining young narrator who pieces together clues from the adult world to solve a mystery. Character interactions are delightfully, humorously depicted.… (more)
    Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (LBV123)
    LBV123: Rifka Brunt's novel similarly traces a complicated family history and the story of a complicated mother with artistic tendencies, and features an interesting and complicated teenaged narrator. While not as openly chasing the laughs as Semple's novel, Tell the Wolves is nonetheless humorous in its depiction of family politics--and deeply touching as it deals with both love and loss.… (more)
    This Book Will Save Your Life by A. M. Homes (lizchris)
    lizchris: About the madness of west coast America
    The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson (cransell)
    cransell: Both quirky, humorous reads.
    Come, Thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant (JenMDB)
    Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell (kiwiflowa)
    Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl (lycomayflower)

English (317)  Danish (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (320)
I should be rating this one higher than I am; at least 4.5 stars. I picked it up with the intention of just reading a page or two and suddenly two hours passed. I couldn't stop reading it.

But when I finished I just didn't feel that 4.5 star feeling. We can blame it on a woeful job on the part of the copy editor (lots of missing words), for lack of anything else. Because I really enjoyed the epistolary style, and I enjoyed the characters (except Soo-Lin; her, I wanted to smack and not for the obvious reasons). The writing was excellent even without the full compliment of articles and conjunctions and a lot of it was funny.

My only niggle was the ending felt abrupt; I'd have like a bit more information about what Bernadette and Elgin were going to do about those 'complications' at the end. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 13, 2016 |
It's been 20 years since first a professional, then a series of personal tragedies, struck down the once-confident Bernadette. Her life has now stabilized, but inwardly she is still adrift and in danger of sinking into insanity. Recent circumstances have pushed her to the edge, and in order to find herself, she must first completely disappear.

Introverts will identify strongly with Bernadette. I certainly did. But more than that, I loved the evidence-gathering format, and the way Bee's narrative tied all the clues together and gave the whole story dimension. There were also fantastic moments of dazzling descriptions in which the author showcased her talent for transporting the reader to an incredible variety of places. (She must have actually visited Antarctica!) And on top of all that, the book is quite funny. Thoroughly enjoyable. ( )
  trwm | Oct 6, 2016 |
Plowed through this quirky book about a quirky family I fell in love with. ( )
  vickiayala | Sep 22, 2016 |
I'm not sure what to say about this book to be honest. Semple's dive into Seattlites and the oh-so-standardly-wacky-ways of the Wacky Ones wasn't a horrible read. Her writing is well done and she definitely has a good phrase turn here and there throughout. But the increasingly fantastic turn of events made it more of a fun, quick read through rather than anything that stood out for me in particular. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
I know this is satire and that I'm not supposed to to like the characters, but I HATE these people. I can't read this right now. DNF
  CrystalDawn1217 | Sep 19, 2016 |
The book stumbles a bit in the middle as it transitions from a scathing anti-Seattle manifesto into a family drama with comic undertones. But once the gears have finished their grinding and the shuddering subsides, Semple eases into her strongest work yet, allowing her characters to change in a way that suits the story, and not just shooting for an easy punch line or a sharply worded barb. In the end, with its big heart set on acceptance, Bernadette feels something like coming home.
added by Nickelini | editthe Stranger, Paul Constant (Aug 12, 2012)
The tightly constructed “Where’d You Go, Bernadette” is written in many formats — e-mails, letters, F.B.I. documents, correspondence with a psychiatrist and even an emergency-room bill for a run-in between Bernadette and Audrey. Yet these pieces are strung together so wittily that Ms. Semple’s storytelling is always front and center, in sharp focus. You could stop and pay attention to how apt each new format is, how rarely she repeats herself and how imaginatively she unveils every bit of information. But you would have to stop laughing first.
added by ozzer | editNY Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 6, 2012)
Semple is a TV comedy writer, and the pleasures of Where'd You Go, Bernadette are the pleasures of the best American TV: plot, wit and heart. (There are places where Semple really wants to be writing dialogue, and stretches the epistolary conceit of the novel to suit.) It's rather refreshing to find a female misunderstood genius at the heart of a book, and a mother-daughter relationship characterised by unadulterated mutual affection. If Bernadette is a monster of ego, Semple suggests, so are most people, when they're being honest. In her spiky but essentially feelgood universe, failure and self-exposure open up a rich seam of comedy, but shame can always be vanquished by love

Maria Sempleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leiva Morales, ÁngelesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilhoite, KathleenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Xie, JingwenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Poppy Meyer
Monday, November 15: Galer Street School is a place where compassion, academics, and global connectitude join together to create civic-minded citizens of a sustainable and diverse planet.
The first annoying thing is when I ask Dad what he thinks happened to Mom, he always says, "What's most important is for you to understand it's not your fault."
“Shh! She said. The waiter. He's about to take their order. She leaned back and to her left, closer,closer,closer,her body like a giraffe's neck, until her chair shot out from under her and she landed on the floor. The whole restaurant turned to look. I jumped up to help. She stood up, righted the chair, and started in again. Did you see the tattoo one of them has on the inside of his arm? It looked like a roll of tape.

I took a gulp of margarita and settled into my fallback option, which was to wait her out.

Know what one of the guys at the drive-through Starbucks has on his forearm? Bernadette said. A paper clip! It used to be so daring to get a tattoo. And now people are tattooing office supplies on their bodies. You know what I say? Of course this was rhetorical. I say, dare not to get a tattoo. She turned around again, and gasped. Oh My God. It's not just any roll of tape. It's literally Scotch tape, with the green-and-black plaid. This is too hilarious. If you're going to tattoo tape on your arm, at least make it a generic old-fashioned tape dispenser! What do you think happened? Did the Staples catalogue get delivered to the tattoo parlor that day?”
― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

When Bee aces her report card she claims her reward, which is a trip to Antarctica, but her mother, Bernadette, disappears due to her intensifying allergy to Seattle and people in general, which has made her so agoraphobic that a virtual assistant in India now runs her most basic errands and Bee uses emails, invoices, school memos, private correspondence, and other evidence to try and understand why her mother has left.

When her notorious, hilarious, volatile, talented, troubled, and agoraphobic mother goes missing, teenage Bee begins a trip that takes her to the ends of the earth to find her.

Maria Semple is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,772,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible