Final Gifts: Understanding the Special…

Final Gifts: Understanding the Special Awareness, Needs, and… (1992)

by Maggie Callanan

386None27,793 (4.43)3
Recently added byPHCHospice, private library, LHFM, wyohess, saintjeromeguild, liliha

English (4)  German (1)  All languages (5)
Excellent book for anyone facing the final days of life of a loved one.
A must read! ( )
  frannyji | Dec 15, 2010 |
true stories about dying - messages, stages, etc. ( )
  brsquilt | Aug 31, 2008 |
An excellent book for anyone who is working in the hospice field or has a friend or loved one who is nearing the end of life. It gives practical advise and wisdom in helping the caregiver to be more aware and sensitive. ( )
1 vote dianemb | Mar 6, 2007 |
If someone you love is dying, read this book. The insights of the two authors - palliative-care nurses both - are invaluable. This book helped me to hear my mother's truest needs, and to respond with real, honest comfort and reassurance, during the last days of her life. I cannot recommend this book highly enough. ( )
1 vote chamekke | Sep 20, 2005 |
To Erin and Eric -- The Sunshine in My Life And of Whom I Am Most Proud (MC)

Dedicated with Love To Sara, David, Wendell, and Craig. (PK)
Joe paced anxiously -- back and forth -- at the foot of Laura's bed.

Five years after its first publication, with more than 150,000 copies in print, Final Gifts has become a classic. In this moving and compassionate book, hospice nurses Maggie Callanan and Patricia Kelley share their intimate experiences with patients at the end of life, drawn from more than twenty years experience tending the terminally ill.

Through their stories we come to appreciate the near-miraculous ways in which the dying communicate their needs, reveal their feelings, and even choreograph their own final moments; we also discover the gifts—of wisdom, faith, and love—that the dying leave for the living to share.

Filled with practical advice on responding to the requests of the dying and helping them prepare emotionally and spiritually for death, Final Gifts shows how we can help the dying person live fully to the very end.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:38 -0400)

Offers families, friends, and caregivers of terminally ill patients advice on understanding their needs

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,423,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible