Final Gifts: Understanding the Special…

Final Gifts: Understanding the Special Awareness, Needs, and… (1992)

by Maggie Callanan

English (6)  German (1)  All languages (7)
Final Gifts is a book about communicating with the dying. It was recommended to me and lent to me, and I put off reading it longer than I should have before passing it on to the next person. It is a good book, and I wish more people who are faced with the loss of a loved one could and would read it before finding themselves in that situation. Many times we are frustrated by a sense of helplessness and loss of control when faced with the loss of someone we love, and we fear for ourselves and for them. This book helps one in learning to listen to what the dying person is saying, not just hearing them, but actually listening, and as such it is warm and wise and uplifting. ( )
  dooney | Aug 7, 2014 |
One of the most frustrating things about being with a person who's dying is a sense of helplessness combined with ignorance. What is the person feeling, what does he WANT, are some of the things he says delusional or do they have a greater meaning?

This book helps answer many of those questions, and gives clear examples of these things. If you will be spending time with a person who is nearing death, I highly recommend this book. And for all that many people find death depressing, I have to say I found this book both comforting and extremely uplifting. ( )
  writerbeverly | May 1, 2014 |
Excellent book for anyone facing the final days of life of a loved one.
A must read! ( )
  frannyji | Dec 15, 2010 |
true stories about dying - messages, stages, etc. ( )
  brsquilt | Aug 31, 2008 |
An excellent book for anyone who is working in the hospice field or has a friend or loved one who is nearing the end of life. It gives practical advise and wisdom in helping the caregiver to be more aware and sensitive. ( )
1 vote dianemb | Mar 6, 2007 |
To Erin and Eric -- The Sunshine in My Life And of Whom I Am Most Proud (MC)

Dedicated with Love To Sara, David, Wendell, and Craig. (PK)
Joe paced anxiously -- back and forth -- at the foot of Laura's bed.

Five years after its first publication, with more than 150,000 copies in print, Final Gifts has become a classic. In this moving and compassionate book, hospice nurses Maggie Callanan and Patricia Kelley share their intimate experiences with patients at the end of life, drawn from more than twenty years experience tending the terminally ill.

Through their stories we come to appreciate the near-miraculous ways in which the dying communicate their needs, reveal their feelings, and even choreograph their own final moments; we also discover the gifts—of wisdom, faith, and love—that the dying leave for the living to share.

Filled with practical advice on responding to the requests of the dying and helping them prepare emotionally and spiritually for death, Final Gifts shows how we can help the dying person live fully to the very end.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:38 -0400)

Offers families, friends, and caregivers of terminally ill patients advice on understanding their needs

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,784,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible