Arcadia by Lauren Groff

Arcadia (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lauren Groff

655None14,666 (3.8)61
Member:mdexter
Title:Arcadia
Authors:Lauren Groff
Info:Voice (2012), Paperback, 320 pages

Arcadia by Lauren Groff (2012)

Drop City by T.C. Boyle (booklove2)
    booklove2: Another amazing novel on hippie communes trying to find their place. Also, a similar writing style.
    The Hypocrisy of Disco: A Memoir by Clane Hayward (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: One is fiction, the other is non-fiction, but both are about childhoods in hippie communes
    The Beach by Alex Garland (booklove2)
    booklove2: The unending search for utopia that falls apart
    Room by Emma Donoghue (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both are excellently written; both stories are about raising a baby boy in a completely non-traditional setting and include strong depictions of being a mother in extreme circumstances.

There is some wonderful prose here. Ostensibly the story of a boy growing up on a hippy commune in the 1970's. It begins there and spans a half a century of change and turmoil. Ultimately it is a book about the fragility of life, love, death. It is about the search for an always elusive 'home'. It questions whether one can have both freedom and community. There are some big issues tackled here and they are handled quite beautifully. I really enjoyed this book. ( )
  m2snick | Feb 19, 2014 |
I ended up not finishing this. It was well-written but it just went so slow. The plot was just dragging and I didn't feel like finishing it. I hope that end up going back to this but I probably won't. ( )
1 vote bookmagic | Jan 4, 2014 |
Loved this book. Review to come. ( )
  ReginaR | Aug 3, 2013 |
I really liked [b:The Monsters Of Templeton|1474628|The Monsters Of Templeton|Lauren Groff|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328051913s/1474628.jpg|2881737] and had very high hopes for this novel, especially after the sustained glowing praise. And it does start off rather strong: a precocious youngster living in a vividly realized commune setting. But the final third of the novel makes you reevaluate what the whole thing was about - it turns out, in my mind, that the novel is really about a boy and his mother. And while that's not a bad thing, it's also a betrayal of the premise in a way. The story of the rise & fall of Arcadia is a really good one - so it was disappointing that it ended up taking a back seat to the story of Bit. I rather wish it'd been a more omnipotent storyteller instead of following the young man, as I would've really enjoyed all the drama at Arcadia from a more grown-up perspective. But the boy & his mother story is also really truly lovely - and so the book can't be that bad.

More at RB: http://wp.me/sGVzJ-arcadia ( )
1 vote drewsof | Jul 9, 2013 |
It's me, not her, but this was just not the book I wanted it to be. Very well written, some very beautiful passages... and ideas. ( )
  ReneeGKC | Jun 26, 2013 |
For Beckett
The women in the river, singing.

The lyrical and haunting story of a great American dream--the progress of a utopian community and its lasting impact on a gifted young man.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Arcadia by Lauren Groff was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible