Arcadia by Lauren Groff

Arcadia (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Lauren Groff

Member:mdexter
Title:Arcadia
Authors:Lauren Groff
Info:Voice (2012), Paperback, 320 pages

Arcadia by Lauren Groff (2012)

Drop City by T. C. Boyle (booklove2)
    booklove2: Another amazing novel on hippie communes trying to find their place. Also, a similar writing style.
    The Hypocrisy of Disco: A Memoir by Clane Hayward (sanddancer)
    sanddancer: One is fiction, the other is non-fiction, but both are about childhoods in hippie communes
    The Beach by Alex Garland (booklove2)
    booklove2: The unending search for utopia that falls apart
    Room by Emma Donoghue (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both are excellently written; both stories are about raising a baby boy in a completely non-traditional setting and include strong depictions of being a mother in extreme circumstances.

The first half was 5-stars spectacular. But then it just went on too long, like a great, tight novella trying to be a novel. Oh well. The writing itself was lovely. I may try her short story collection after this. ( )
  beckyrenner | Dec 29, 2016 |
I hope this improves a bit, not what I expected at all from this author.
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
I looked forward to this book for a long time. I did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would, but it was still a good read. Bit is a likable character, and the stories about the rise and eventual fall of Arcadia were interesting. I will most likely read her other book "The Monsters of Templeton". ( )
  Juliasb | Dec 1, 2016 |
I LOVED this! Achingly sad and beautifully written novel about growing up on a commune in upstate NY and the twists and turns that happen after leaving communal living. I have a few quibbles with the end but they are minor. Exquisite book. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
In Arcadia, we meet a group of idealistic young adults who left their own families and comfortable lives behind to found a hippie-utopian community called Arcadia. While there are a whole cast of complicated, wonderful characters, the story focuses on Hannah and Abe along with their son Ridley, who is the first child born in Arcadia. As the community struggles to create, develop, and maintain their ideal society, they constantly experience conflict, from each other as well as the outside world. Especially, the Arcadians have to come to terms with the ways that American culture has changed and shifted away from them and their ideals.

When we first meet Ridley, he is a very young boy, and we follow him through many decades of his life. We experience the world through his eyes, and share his excitement, discoveries, highs and lows, and his relationship with the world and people around him. His life mirrors the life of Arcadia itself. When it prospers and grows, so does he. When he falters and loses his way, so does the community. This reconciliation between the individual and the community is a driving force for Ridley and Arcadia. Overall, Arcadia is a lovely story about family, friendships, community, and the strength of the human spirit. ( )
  BooksForYears | Mar 31, 2016 |
For Beckett
The women in the river, singing.

The lyrical and haunting story of a great American dream--the progress of a utopian community and its lasting impact on a gifted young man.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Arcadia by Lauren Groff was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,617,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible