The Angel Esmeralda: Nine Stories by Don…

The Angel Esmeralda: Nine Stories (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Don DeLillo

Member:lgura
Title:The Angel Esmeralda: Nine Stories
Authors:Don DeLillo
Info:
Rating:***
Tags:short stories, American literature, fiction

The Angel Esmeralda by Don DeLillo (2011)

English (13)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (16)
The story "the angel Esmeralda" is a story that's also part of Underworld. I bought it, but I was disappointed, I had already read it, twice. And like it. But I would have appreciated if someone had told me that it's part of Underworld.
  xtien | Sep 11, 2013 |
Don DeLillo is one of my favorite novelists, and now he is one of my favorite short story writers, too. These nine stories are to savor, read one at a time and then absorb each for a day or two before reading the next one. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Delillo is quite simply one of the greatest contempt writers of fiction. Although these stories, by their nature, don't have the scope of his novels, he is unparalleled in his precise language and imagery. Brilliant. ( )
  malrubius | Apr 2, 2013 |
You know how in high school or college English classes, you unpack every single line of whatever text you're studying at the time. The class looks deeply into the work for symbolism, metaphor, syntax, diction, and deeper meaning. To be honest, much as I can enjoy doing it, I think a lot of that's bullshit. Sometimes a spade is just a spade, you know. Sometimes, the color of the wallpaper in the room wasn't the author subtly trying to send the reader a message about the hero's emotional state.

Why am I going into all of this? Well, DeLillo's stories feel like he wrote them with these sorts of classes in mind. They're full of symbolism and deeper meanings, all intended to show how clever he is. Were I reading these with a class and taking the time to analyze them word by word, I might be impressed. However, as pleasure reading, they kind of sucked.

Here's the thing: these stories were just so boring. I wanted to like DeLillo; actually, I still do, since I own two of his novels. They were mostly the sort of thing where nothing really happens and what does happen doesn't make sense, but probably because they were about something else altogether. A couple of them had awesome premises, but failed to focus on the cool parts. For example, one was set in Athens, Ohio, which was being beset by an endless stream of earthquakes. It focused not on that, but on a broken statue, obviously a metaphor, but for what I just don't care. Yes, I know much of this is my laziness, but I have a day job, y'all, and I don't want to do too much heavy lifting when I get home.

The characters lacked development, I felt. Again, this just seemed to be much more about his ideas and getting his literariness across. Also, they were repetitive. In most of the stories, there was a refrain that would repeat several times, which is generally not my favorite literary technique, and didn't work for me here.

I fully acknowledge that I didn't read these the way I think DeLillo intended them to be read, but, dammit, I'll read however I want to. Anyway, for the scholarly types that want to study sentences in detail, go right ahead; this is for you. I'm sure these are marvelous and critically praised and whatever, but I guess I'm not smart enough to appreciate them. Fine by me.

Narration:
The narrators match their style to the stories pretty perfectly. Of course, I didn't like the stories, so I didn't care for most of the narration either. For the most part, they affect (or always read with) a monotonous tone. These people don't give a fuck and they want the world to know it. This plays perfectly into the scholarly "too good for an interesting story line" business. It does not, however, make paying attention to the audiobook an easy task. If you like this style, then go for it, but it's not for me. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Apr 1, 2013 |
DeLillo has become almost a literary icon. His remarks on the realness and unreality of modern life are distinctive and legendary, and this selection of stories spanning almost the entire length of his career are works to behold.

Ordinary, grimy, ephemeral things take on new meanings and become transcendent parables on the depths of souls and living.

My favorites are the title story, and "Human Moments in World War 3". ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |

Avec ces nouvelles écrites entre 1979 et 2011 , Don DeLilli propose une variation aussi magistrale que singulière sur l'intranquilité à l'œuvre chez l'homme contemprain tentant de s 'adapter à travers une paranoïaque recherche de sens , au sentiment d'insécurité qui gouverne sa vie aussi fragile qu'illisible .

Collects nine stories written between 1979 and 2011 that chronicle three decades of American life from the perspective of a range of characters, including a pair of nuns in the South Bronx and two astronauts orbiting the Earth.

91 wanted6 pay3 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,409,990 books! | Top bar: Always visible