Terribilis by Carol Weekes

Terribilis

by Carol Weekes

186561,019 (2.43)1 / 4

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book. There were times where I found the storyline a bit disjointed and thought the sex fantasies the main characters were indulging in were not needed, but overall it was a very good read. It kept me interested all through the book and has left the storyline open for a sequel. I would read another book with these characters. ( )
  booksgaloreca | Apr 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A murder mystery that leads you on a journey through darkness, obsession and fear. Be prepared to jump at shadows while you're reading this one. There are moments when you want to scream at the detectives to hurry up. Any book that can make you forget that the characters can't heard you, is a good one in my opinion. All in all an interesting read. I look forward to reading more by Carol Weekes. ( )
  barpurple | Oct 11, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The idea of the story Terribilis is good but some of the execution was disappointing. The book is a police procedural with two Ottawa police detectives as the principal characters.

The author set the tone that one was a long time detective and other was experienced but much younger. I do not think the split detective focus was effective.

Further, it was not really a mystery at all in that you knew who the bad guy was from early in the book. The only mystery was why and how he was going to commit the crimes.

I did not like that the author spent too much time dwelling on the personal life of the detectives. This comes off with Private Investigators like Spenser, but in a police procedural it is distracting. Maybe later in the series when you get to know the characters better.

The older detective came off as somewhat of an amateur. I know Canadians are supposed to be very nice, but these guys do not seem to ask all of the questions necessary until it is too late.

When they begin to identify who the ultimate victim will be, they did not really do enough to protect her. They almost struck out swinging at balls long after the catcher caught them.

I did not feel the author developed the male characters well, either good guys or bad guys. The female characters were somewhat better developed, yet after reading the book, I do not have an image in my head of any character.

All that said, the plot concept was clever, and that made the book worthwhile reading.

john. ( )
1 vote TQSI | Sep 29, 2011 |
2 vote booksgaloreca | Sep 20, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Good idea, spoilt by poor execution and poor plotting. Some of the actual writing was quite good, in places, but it never supported the main idea.

The main hero is one Candian cop 'Morrow' and his partner Crow. They have a chief victim - a beautiful red-head Alison, and quickly suspect the correct perpetraitor, her ex-husband, Scott. He has been 'practising' his method on a couple of people, which is what draws the police attention to him. This method is the almost clever bit. Scott is a bilological researcher and has access to the poison from rainforest frogs, sub-species Terribilis of the title. Injection of this poison leads to symptoms very similar to heroin overdose, but apparently more painful and prolonged. So far so clever. But Scott is managing to get hold of real heroin to add to the mix so the analysis looks more realistic - in which case why bother with the frog venom, why not just go for heroin overdose? In any case it's all irrelvant as the police lab tech manages to correctly identify the frog venom as the culprit within the first 100 pages. How dull is that - really clever method, just blown away by the lab guys immediately, no false trails, no red herrings. "Oh I've seen this before, it's frog venom". All this from a GC trace, which the author explains in some (sort of just about correct detail) - without managing to comprend the difficulties of doing whle blood analysis by GC - again the worst of both worlds, dully technical without actually being correct, and leaving the impression that all the other details will be wrong too. Such an impression is compounded by the very un-professional standards of Morrow.

None of the characters are that belivable: Morrow is un-professional, his son and housekeeper totally perfect and only bit-parts that don't interefere with his job; Alison apparently sex obsessed and smitten by the first male with two legs who isn't her ex-husband; and Scott the revenge obsessed academic, clever enough to plan all sorts of devious escapes, but not so clever as to recognise the obvious failings of his revenge.

Plot-holes inaccuracies and gross co-incidences aside, some of the character interactions shine really well. The action scenes (few though they are) do propigate emotion and drama with great pathos. If only the plot and characters stood up to the belivability test beforehand, all would be good. But the shear implausability lets everything else down. This is then further compounded by a very weak cop-out ending that better not be setting up a sequel, it's certainly not one I'm willing to read.

Could have been good, but just profoundly wasn't. Not aided by the gratuitious sex descriptions. ( )
2 vote reading_fox | Sep 12, 2011 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Carol Weekes's book Terribilis was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Carol Weekes is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Atomic Fez Publishing

3 editions of this book were published by Atomic Fez Publishing.

Editions: 0986642401, 0986642444, 098664241X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,359,161 books! | Top bar: Always visible