Terribilis

by Carol Weekes

196876,328 (2.67)1 / 4
Witty, charming, handsome and a skilled conversationalist, Alison Mornay's ex-husband is also a biology prof at Ottawa U. His specialty is a rare breed of frog found primarily on the east coast of Colombia. His colleagues and students love him; one of them even married him. But when a string of apparent heroin overdoses leads to the death of a very odd assortment of people - including Lee-Ann Boudreaux, a human resources specialist at the university, and two Byward Market prostitutes; one male, one female - Detective Constables Morrow and Crowther start looking a little more deeply into Dr. Gerry Scott's field of study, and the Ottawa U biology lab. Other than cause of death, there doesn't seem to be any connection between the victims, which makes Morrow and Crowther think they're dealing with a serial killer who's both highly intelligent and absolutely ruthless. But will they be able to cover the distance between Eastern Ontario and Muskoka fast enough to prevent a fourth murder? And will they get enough evidence to arrest their serial killer before he outwits them yet again? They looked at each other, sickened in the pale rind of the street lamp. That woman doesn't deserve to die, Morrow told them. Not that way. Not any way. Mystery, thriller, and medical drama, Terribilis is an uncomfortable journey into a 21st century heart of darkness.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book. There were times where I found the storyline a bit disjointed and thought the sex fantasies the main characters were indulging in were not needed, but overall it was a very good read. It kept me interested all through the book and has left the storyline open for a sequel. I would read another book with these characters. ( )
  booksgaloreca | Apr 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A murder mystery that leads you on a journey through darkness, obsession and fear. Be prepared to jump at shadows while you're reading this one. There are moments when you want to scream at the detectives to hurry up. Any book that can make you forget that the characters can't heard you, is a good one in my opinion. All in all an interesting read. I look forward to reading more by Carol Weekes. ( )
  barpurple | Oct 11, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really did not like this book and only completed reading it because it was a review copy. This is a serial killer thriller, set in Canada. There is no element of "who-done-it" as the villain is revealed early in the narrative. There is a developing romance between the final intended victim and the police officer investigating the case, so the tension arises from the question of whether the killer will be stopped in time. Surprisingly the the victim is saved by running away and then calling the police rather than any last-minute intuition by the detectives. The killer takes on a new identity and escapes. ( )
  magicwand | Oct 8, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The idea of the story Terribilis is good but some of the execution was disappointing. The book is a police procedural with two Ottawa police detectives as the principal characters.

The author set the tone that one was a long time detective and other was experienced but much younger. I do not think the split detective focus was effective.

Further, it was not really a mystery at all in that you knew who the bad guy was from early in the book. The only mystery was why and how he was going to commit the crimes.

I did not like that the author spent too much time dwelling on the personal life of the detectives. This comes off with Private Investigators like Spenser, but in a police procedural it is distracting. Maybe later in the series when you get to know the characters better.

The older detective came off as somewhat of an amateur. I know Canadians are supposed to be very nice, but these guys do not seem to ask all of the questions necessary until it is too late.

When they begin to identify who the ultimate victim will be, they did not really do enough to protect her. They almost struck out swinging at balls long after the catcher caught them.

I did not feel the author developed the male characters well, either good guys or bad guys. The female characters were somewhat better developed, yet after reading the book, I do not have an image in my head of any character.

All that said, the plot concept was clever, and that made the book worthwhile reading.

john. ( )
1 vote TQSI | Sep 29, 2011 |
2 vote booksgaloreca | Sep 20, 2011 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Carol Weekes's book Terribilis was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Carol Weekes is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Atomic Fez Publishing

3 editions of this book were published by Atomic Fez Publishing.

Editions: 0986642401, 0986642444, 098664241X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,453,392 books! | Top bar: Always visible