Otis and the Tornado by Loren Long

Otis and the Tornado (2011)

by Loren Long

Series: Otis (2)

At first I didn't think the story was great, but as events took place I realized I was reading about the meaning of friends and how even if others are mean to you, you need to be nice to them. ( )
  TeresaCruz | Sep 8, 2014 |
My son brought this book home from his school library this week. We decided to review it together. This review can also be found as part of my weekly Kiddie Korner feature on my blog, Cherie Reads.

Ben's View (My 5 year old son):

If you had to rate this book from 1-5 stars what would you rate it?
5 Stars! (Note: I explained what each number in the rating system means)

Did you like the book?
I liked it but I don't know why the tractor only has 3 wheels. All tractors have 4! I liked it because I didn't know there was a tornado and I like tractors. When I saw the tornado in the corner I was surprised and I liked the book even more. That's why I liked it 5 stars.

What did you think of the pictures?
I liked the pictures. That was a very good author and illustrator because they did a very very good job with the words and the pictures.

Was there anything about the book you didn't like?
I didn't like one little picture. Because when the tornado had dust I didn't like the dust.

What did you think of the characters?
The characters were pretty good. Otis and the bull were my favorite characters.

What did you think of what Otis did?
I think that was pretty brave of him and very helpful and very nice.

Do you think other kids would like this book?

What can we learn from what Otis did?
That if we have a tornado we should stay calm and go somewhere safe where we won't get killed. And if somebody is left behind go quickly and then bring them back where everybody else is and be very careful and safe.

Is there anything else you think everyone should know?
They should know that they shouldn't be scared of the bull because at the very last page the bull is friends with all of the other animals and he's nice for the rest of his life.

Mom's View:

This was a really sweet story. Otis is friends with all of the barnyard animals except the Bull. The Bull is mean and doesn't like anyone. Even when Otis tries to befriend him, the Bull rebuffs him. One day, a tornado comes. Otis is scared for his friends in the barn so he braves the storm to open their pens and helps them to safety. While hiding from the storm, the friends hear the Bull crying. Should Otis risk his life to save the Bull even though he's a meanie? Otis decides to help and breaks down the Bull's fence and helps him to safety. Otis saves the day and the Bull decides to be friends from that day forward. The moral of this story is that we should help people and be kind, even when they're not very kind to us. It's a great lesson and this book highlights it in an exciting way.

Ben is a big fan of the weather channel right now and is fascinated by tornadoes and other extreme weather events. He loved that this book was about a tornado and really got into the story when the action started.

The illustrations are beautiful but are still cartoonish which really appealed to my son. The tornado is exciting but is not drawn in a way that is scary or intimidating to young readers. Ben loved that Otis was expressive. My younger 18 month old loved the illustrations of the farm animals. He kept interrupting to make the animal noises.

There are lots of opportunity for meaningful discussion with your child. Friendship, how to react when someone is not nice or doesn't want to be your friend, what a tornado is, safety during a weather event, and most importantly, being kind and doing what's right even when it's scary.

This was a great book and I would recommend it to any child but especially those interested in farms, tractors or weather events.

CherieReads | Sep 23, 2013 |
I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book. While the friendship among the farm animals is sweet, the addition of Otis the Tractor really ups the charming factor for me. Cute children's book. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Otis saves ornery bull from terrible fate. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
This story is written with a strong sense of personification. Otis, the farm tractor, is a humble character that overcomes the bullying of the bull on the farm. I enjoyed this version of the theme of bullying because it shows that despite bullying occurring, Otis still found it in his heart to forgive and help the bull. Other than teaching for an anti-bullying environment, I can use this book in my classroom to give examples of personification or to teach about different types of weather, ie. tornadoes. ( )
  JodiEasley | Nov 28, 2012 |

This is a great story of friendship between a tractor and farm animals.  They live and play games together on the farm.  There is a very large bull that Otis the tractor and other farm animals are afraid of because he is mean to them.  One day a tornado comes and Otis rescues all the animals out of the barn; leading them to safety "in the muddy creek's bed at the lowest part of the farm" (Long, 2011, p. 29).  As the trapped bull cries out in fear, Otis is compelled to free the bull and share the safe location.  After the storm passes and the farm is cleaned up, Otis and the farm animals return to their fun games, including a happy bull!

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399254773, Hardcover)

From Loren Long: A Letter to Fans

Dear Reader,

I first drove an old tractor working on a Lexington, Kentucky horse farm for a summer job during my college years.

It was ancient and rusty but steady and dependable and still contributed to the farm.

I loved driving that old tractor.

I had no idea back then that I'd become a children's book author and illustrator someday...let alone write and illustrate my own story about a little tractor named Otis.

Those days back on the horse farm served as part of the inspiration for Otis, the little tractor who loves to work hard and play hard with his friends on the farm that he loves.

Otis and the Tornado is about friendship and loyalty. I hoped to create a character that children will revere as much as I did the books I loved when I was little. A character and a book that becomes a trusted friend, who loves to have fun and who is fiercely loyal, brave and trustworthy.

I had so much fun creating Otis that my publisher and I decided to do another Otis story, Otis and the Tornado. In this new Otis story you'll read how Otis encounters a storm but also how he handles a new character on the farm that is just plain mean.

Otis and the Tornado is about empathy and bravery.

I hope you'll share Otis with a little one in your life. And together you'll get to know a spunky little tractor who works hard and plays hard and always has time for another friend. I hope that new friend is you.

Putt-puff!

Loren

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:36 -0400)

When a tornado threatens the farm, Otis the tractor must try to save the animals, including the unfriendly bull.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible