Breathe by Abbi Glines

Authors:Abbi Glines
Info:Wild Child Publishing (2011), Paperback, 166 pages
Tags:Contemporary, Young Adult, Romance, Abbi Glines, Kindle

Breathe by Abbi Glines

English (21)  Spanish (1)  All languages (22)
Breathe was a very quick, interesting read. It got me breezing through the pages, following the story of teenage girl Sadie (who is the grown-up in the family) and Jax (who is a teen rock star). I loved the reality of the story, even though there were some parts that sounded way too fixed to be real.

The way Sadie and Jax's relationship developed was really nice, though at times Jax sounded so bossy I wanted to smack him in the face. And by the end of the book, the relationship between the two had gotten so much like an addiction, neither one could live without the other. I don't know if that's actually healthy, to tell you the truth. There must be passion and love and all that, but not being able to live without the other... seriously?

Yet, I loved how they told each other that they were one another's air. It was so romantic, it made me gag of all the sugar LOL

It's definitely a good story though. It's a story of growth and maturity (or pre-maturity in Sadie's case). It's a story of family problems and the fear to grow up (in Jessica, Sadie's mom's case). It's a story where everyone learns that life isn't easy if you shell up and try to live it by yourself. Friends and family are the people who make life interesting, who help in difficult situations, who will never give up on you no matter what.

I recommend the book to any reader age teen or above. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
I actually started this series from book four, [b:Just for Now|16116392|Just for Now (Sea Breeze, #4)|Abbi Glines|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1356512856s/16116392.jpg|21491232]. I read an expert from it not realizing it wasn't a first book and fell in love with the story and rushed to download it to my Kindle. I've never not started a series from book one. Before I was even finished I knew I had to read the series.

Breathe was a sweet love story that I enjoyed immensely. I was also lucky to grab a re-release with Jax' POV, I always love hearing the guys feelings and thoughts. It makes the story even more juicier. I really liked Sadie and Jax as characters and instantly bonded with them. I could feel and believe their excitement and fears about each other and what a relationship between them would mean.

Basically it's as the synopsis says: Sadie is raising her mom and Jax is a teen idol rock star who is feeling suffocated by his fame and the fakeness of it all, but when Sadie appears in his life he can finally breathe. It's a cute little love story that will make you swoon. *sigh* ( )
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |

chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
Originally Reviewed at Witchmag's Boekenplank

This is not the first book I’ve read about a famous something (actor, musician, heir, prince, etc.) who falls in love with the girl next door. However this is the first time I’ve read a book that deals with the downside of fame. The madness of hardcore fans or the jealous women who have been tossed aside. Cause not always can there be a fairy tale ending once two people have declared their love to each-other And that was what made this book special: there were real and not far-fetched obstacles on the way to a happy ending. Not ridiculous misunderstandings that wouldn’t have been there if somebody would have opened their mouth. No, heartbreaking problems that couldn’t be solved with just talk…

I also loved Sadie. It was great to see her come out of her shell, to hang around with other people, to not have to worry about money, for once, and to not have to worry about her mother and her fiasco’s. She really deserved this. Her life is so hard. Compared to her I’m living a very luxurious one! The thing I liked most about her is her absolute honesty. She tells it like it is and doesn’t omit anything because she is afraid of the consequences. Wish every heroine could be like her!

Sadie was obviously a real, fleshed-out character. Jax, on the other was not. He didn’t give me the idea that he was more than two-dimensional. Especially when talking about feelings, he tended to do and act the same. Nevertheless I loved the way he acts towards Sadie, how he tries to protect her and get her out in the world. He obviously has a big heart. And thankfully he wasn’t made to be the perfect prince charming, but a human being. Hence the faults and mistakes he sometimes made. But that made him even more endearing ;)

Conclusion

3 HEARTS. An amusing book about a rock star who is finally able to open his heart, for that one special girl. About a girl who slowly, but surely is able to come out of her shell, to see the world, to make friends. I really liked watching Sadie grow throughout the book. Only letdown was that Jax didn’t feel as developed as Sadie was. Nevertheless a great début. I’m looking forward to the next book from this author! ( )
  Iris-Boekenplank | Dec 22, 2013 |
It took me less than 24 hours to read this book. From the first page I was hooked and couldn't get enough of the characters and the authors writing. I loved the characters and I found that imagined what I was reading like I was their with them. I was truly sad when this book ended because I really feel in love with the characters and I can't wait to read more books by this author. ( )
  mattidw | Dec 17, 2013 |
Life has always been a struggle for me.

Sadie White's summer job isn't going to be on the beach life-guarding or working at rental booths like most kids her age. With her single mother's increasing pregnancy and refusal to work, Sadie has to take over her mother's job as a domestic servant for one of the wealthy summer families on a nearby island.
When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprised to learn that the owner of the house is Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rockers in the world. If Sadie hadn't spent her life raising her mother and taking care of the house she might have been normal enough to be excited about working for a rock star.
Even though Sadie isn't impressed by Jax's fame, he is drawn to her. Everything about Sadie fascinates Jax but he fights his attraction. Relationship's never work in his world and as badly as he wants Sadie, he believes she deserves more. By the end of the summer, Jax discovers he can't breathe without Sadie.

Sadie must take over her mother's job as a domestic servant and discovers that when the family arrives for the summer, the owner is a teen rock star. Although she is not impressed by his fame, he is drawn to her although he knows relationships do not work in his world.… (more)

Abbi Glines is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,299 books! | Top bar: Always visible