Breathe by Abbi Glines

Authors:Abbi Glines
Info:Wild Child Publishing (2011), Paperback, 166 pages
Tags:Contemporary, Young Adult, Romance, Abbi Glines, Kindle

Breathe by Abbi Glines

English (24)  Spanish (1)  All languages (25)
I'm between 1 and 2 stars on this one. I felt like I really didn't know the main characters well enough. The book is over 300 pages, but I don't feel like anything really happened with the character development. All you know is that Jax doesn't want Sadie to be in the spot light, but the reader doesn't get a clear picture of why. And why does Jax feel he so undeserving? I'm left with a lot of questions and not many explanations for the characters actions or reactions... I anticipate the next book to have more character development since it's from one of the supporting characters' point of views from "Breathe." Also, I don't feel like the physical romance part of this book made sense. Sadie was supposed to be inexperienced and had her mother as a perfect role model for more than enough reasons to be more cautious. I thought that issue was glossed over a bit. ( )
  breakingbooks | Aug 13, 2014 |
Abbi Glines is definitely one of the best YA authors around. She nails it every time.
I enjoyed this book a lot. The characters were well conceived and you could feel the struggles they were going through.
Where I feel it fell a bit short was in the insta-love, there was no real reason for it. I felt like there were parts missing that would have shown why they were in love. I also felt the ending was rushed and kind of just ended suddenly. Maybe that was just me wanting more of their story! ( )
  Kate.Good | Jul 3, 2014 |
  Kate.Good | Jul 3, 2014 |
Breathe was a very quick, interesting read. It got me breezing through the pages, following the story of teenage girl Sadie (who is the grown-up in the family) and Jax (who is a teen rock star). I loved the reality of the story, even though there were some parts that sounded way too fixed to be real.

The way Sadie and Jax's relationship developed was really nice, though at times Jax sounded so bossy I wanted to smack him in the face. And by the end of the book, the relationship between the two had gotten so much like an addiction, neither one could live without the other. I don't know if that's actually healthy, to tell you the truth. There must be passion and love and all that, but not being able to live without the other... seriously?

Yet, I loved how they told each other that they were one another's air. It was so romantic, it made me gag of all the sugar LOL

It's definitely a good story though. It's a story of growth and maturity (or pre-maturity in Sadie's case). It's a story of family problems and the fear to grow up (in Jessica, Sadie's mom's case). It's a story where everyone learns that life isn't easy if you shell up and try to live it by yourself. Friends and family are the people who make life interesting, who help in difficult situations, who will never give up on you no matter what.

I recommend the book to any reader age teen or above. ( )
  VanyaDrum | Jan 26, 2014 |
I actually started this series from book four, [b:Just for Now|16116392|Just for Now (Sea Breeze, #4)|Abbi Glines|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1356512856s/16116392.jpg|21491232]. I read an expert from it not realizing it wasn't a first book and fell in love with the story and rushed to download it to my Kindle. I've never not started a series from book one. Before I was even finished I knew I had to read the series.

Breathe was a sweet love story that I enjoyed immensely. I was also lucky to grab a re-release with Jax' POV, I always love hearing the guys feelings and thoughts. It makes the story even more juicier. I really liked Sadie and Jax as characters and instantly bonded with them. I could feel and believe their excitement and fears about each other and what a relationship between them would mean.

Basically it's as the synopsis says: Sadie is raising her mom and Jax is a teen idol rock star who is feeling suffocated by his fame and the fakeness of it all, but when Sadie appears in his life he can finally breathe. It's a cute little love story that will make you swoon. *sigh* ( )
  chicreader | Jan 21, 2014 |
Life has always been a struggle for me.

Sadie White's summer job isn't going to be on the beach life-guarding or working at rental booths like most kids her age. With her single mother's increasing pregnancy and refusal to work, Sadie has to take over her mother's job as a domestic servant for one of the wealthy summer families on a nearby island.
When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprised to learn that the owner of the house is Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rockers in the world. If Sadie hadn't spent her life raising her mother and taking care of the house she might have been normal enough to be excited about working for a rock star.
Even though Sadie isn't impressed by Jax's fame, he is drawn to her. Everything about Sadie fascinates Jax but he fights his attraction. Relationship's never work in his world and as badly as he wants Sadie, he believes she deserves more. By the end of the summer, Jax discovers he can't breathe without Sadie.

"It was only supposed to be a summer job, not a summer fling. Just a quick way for seventeen-year-old Sadie to earn some money to support her very helpless--and very pregnant--single mother. But even with the help of her cute and friendly coworker, Marcus, Sadie learns firsthand that working as a domestic servant is tough, especially when the house is owned by none other than Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rock stars in the world."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Abbi Glines is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible